Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    From this point on, all Dr. Octopus appearances are going to be informed by the events of Superior Spider-Man. It's going to be to him as big a deal as the death of Gwen Stacy was to the Green Goblin.
    I dunno, I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to walk away from this to get back to classic Doc Ock.

I mean, it's not the first time he's learned Peter's identity, had another body/revived from the dead, or slimmed out, but he usually returns back-to-basics sooner rather then latter.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I want him to fight Peter again, and basically Peter makes a mind controlling/neural transfer device which he uses to bring back the personality of Superior Spidey Doc Ock and implants that into current Doc Ock's brain. So we can get Ock back as a kind of anti-hero. I really loved that portrayal of Ock tbh (despite all the other problems in Slott's Superior Spider-Man series).
    As did I. That was the best rendition of Ock IMHO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As did I. That was the best rendition of Ock IMHO.
    Yeah, if I'm honest, I always thought that pretty much every rendition of Doc Ock after Stan Lee's first few was a super lame villain, and Slott was the one who made his character cool. Superior Spider-Man was the culmination of that, and I really loved the warped vision Ock had of being a hero. Ock's motives in Clone Conspiracy and seret Empire don't make any sense and are super boring. Even by SSM 17, Ock was trying to be a hero, so I have no idea why he's becoming an outright villain again.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, if I'm honest, I always thought that pretty much every rendition of Doc Ock after Stan Lee's first few was a super lame villain, and Slott was the one who made his character cool. Superior Spider-Man was the culmination of that, and I really loved the warped vision Ock had of being a hero. Ock's motives in Clone Conspiracy and seret Empire don't make any sense and are super boring. Even by SSM 17, Ock was trying to be a hero, so I have no idea why he's becoming an outright villain again.
    To be fair, he was moreso fighting against Peter than acting as an outright villain, and I guess he's still upset he said Peter's the better Spider-Man. He only sided with Hydra so he could use their resources to take PI back.

I feel like any attempt to vindicate or make Otto a hero is a little disingenuous.

I mean, we had Peter singing that he "wasn't that bad of a guy," even though Otto stole his body, ruined his relationships and status as Spider-Man, illegally earned a doctorate (that Peter still hasn't owned up to), tried to wipe his personality from existence, and needed Clone Conspiracy of all things to remind him just what a bad guy Otto really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like any attempt to vindicate or make Otto a hero is a little disingenuous.

I mean, we had Peter singing that he "wasn't that bad of a guy," even though Otto stole his body, ruined his relationships and status as Spider-Man, illegally earned a doctorate (that Peter still hasn't owned up to), tried to wipe his personality from existence, and needed Clone Conspiracy of all things to remind him just what a bad guy Otto really is.
    Peter being so forgiving of Otto is shit writing in too many ways, lol, not like Peter ever fell for "He had good intentions, so his horrible actions were okay", because if he was like that he'd be best friends with Punisher.

I saw it more as "I know there's some good in you and it has come through before, so I'm just hoping you will figure that out so I don't have to fight you again."

Because he still ended up destroying Parker Industries just so Otto couldn't have his hands on it, which if he's willing to go that far show's he doesn't actually trust him.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I saw it more as "I know there's some good in you and it has come through before, so I'm just hoping you will figure that out so I don't have to fight you again."

Because he still ended up destroying Parker Industries just so Otto couldn't have his hands on it, which if he's willing to go that far show's he doesn't actually trust him.
    True, problem is shit like, ASM#1 vol 3, which Spidey was like "Otto fixed Aunt May's leg, I owe him! I owe this guy who tried to kill me multiple times, hijacked my body, tried to kill me again while I was in his mind, and almost destroyed my life!". I know Peter loves Aunt May, and I know he'd see this positive thing that Otto did for him regardless, but again, he was too forgiving of the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    True, problem is shit like, ASM#1 vol 3, which Spidey was like "Otto fixed Aunt May's leg, I owe him! I owe this guy who tried to kill me multiple times, hijacked my body, tried to kill me again while I was in his mind, and almost destroyed my life!". I know Peter loves Aunt May, and I know he'd see this positive thing that Otto did for him regardless, but again, he was too forgiving of the negatives.
    Seemed to me like that was just exaggerating for comedic effect. Like, he's thankful for all the good Otto has done, but that doesn't completely forgive him for all the terrible stuff he did do to him.

I feel like if he was defending him the whole time or was trying to help him then it would be different, but I think acknowledging that he did good, while still fighting him isn't too much a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Seemed to me like that was just exaggerating for comedic effect. Like, he's thankful for all the good Otto has done, but that doesn't completely forgive him for all the terrible stuff he did do to him.

I feel like if he was defending him the whole time or was trying to help him then it would be different, but I think acknowledging that he did good, while still fighting him isn't too much a problem for me.
    Peter doesn't say what I quoted, I'm the one exagerating for sarcasm, lol, here's the page which he talks about it:

Of course, I'm not saying Peter should go full edgelord or even become an asshole to people around him because of that, just admit that while Otto did good, he still tried to kill Peter and almost destroyed his life before Peter had to fix everything in Superior#31, so he should be more bitter about Otto.

I have zero interest in seeing Otto presented as an anti hero. I honestly don't believe enough has been done with Otto as a villain and even though he doesn't often take it as far as Norman does, he's still a rogue at heart. Truth is, I didn't care for what Slott did with Otto. It just never connected with me and if anything made things far too convoluted with Otto. I wouldn't mind seeing Otto go back to trying to take over the New York crime scene especially now with Fisk out of the picture.

I kinda want Ock to realize he's honestly wasting his time on Parker. I won't be reading Iron Man (personal preference, nothing negative) but it sounds refreshing to have Doc Ock bother Stark for a while. A year or two into the run sounds safe to show Tony clashing with him. Then after Ock gets bored with Stark he'll realize his true challenge was Parker all along. Touching~

To answer the question, Ock should leave comics totally for 1-2 years and leave Spider-Man comics for at least 3-5.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Because he's the best Spidey villain of all time
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I still just want an Superior Octopus title where he's got his classic look and is Mad Sciencing his way across the MU with an alliance of questionable scientists. I /still/ think a mad science version of House MD with Ock in the 'House' role would be a lot of fun. xD

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

My thoughts exactly