Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Annihilation Wave vs. DC

Annihilus complete with Quantum Bands and his Galactus Gun, invade DC (post crisis) with the full force of his military.

How does DC perform in comparison to its Marvel counterpart? Better? Worse? What would be the most likely response to the threat? What challenges would be the hardest to overcome?

Lets say the Wave starts warping in near Thanagar. That is the first point of contact.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Man, Thanagar can't catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    No, it really can't. :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Well, if the various Lantern Corps unite, which they have been known to for threats like this, they have a lot of heavy hitters. I don't think Apokalips and New Genesis are accessible through anything but boom tubes, so I'm not sure the New Gods will get involved. The big advantage the Wave has is numbers. They can be in a lot of places at once, spreading defenders thin. The other big danger is the A man himself. He's very fast, and if he can start snacking on Lanterns and add their power to his own like he did to Quasar, he's gonna get beastly. (I wouldn't necessarily assume he can do that, as we have seen skilled Sinestro and Hal types wrestle control back from people in similar scenarios, but rookie Lanterns would be more susceptible to be picked off.)

Wasn’t the Strontian woman part of the Annihilation Wave? That’s somebody that would smash up DC Speed Bricks on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Wasn’t the Strontian woman part of the Annihilation Wave? That’s somebody that would smash up DC Speed Bricks on her own.
    Oh, like Gladiators species? Honestly I forget the details.

I know Ravenous was pretty tough. He and his Seekers captured Terrax and managed to NOT die against the Surfer.
    - big_adventure

Ravenous was a match for the Surfer, or at least forced the Surfer to flee with Air-Walker, until their second fight. At which point...

Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 03-27-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I'm pretty sure she didn't show up until later in that creative run. Unless there was a tie in I missed, but the thing I liked about Annihilation is that it didn't have many of those.

Extraordinary Member

The strontian lady wasn't a part of the Annihilation wave and she appeared in a series after Annihilation was finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Ravenous was a match for the Surfer, or at least forced the Surfer to flee with Air-Walker, until their second fight. At which point...

I tend to think of it as Surfer only really being challenged by Ravenous and his Seekers because of his pacifism, and trying to protect Air Walker. When Galactus "gave him and the willingness to use it" between those fights, Surfer didn't do anything he hadn't done before. Or heck, even done better than he did just a couple issues beforehand when he ripped open a black hole. Honestly, if Surfer wanted to kill Ravenous and company, I think they would be dead.

Now that said, Ravenous was still conscious after Surfer blew the planet they were on up, so he's a pretty potent guy. But I think "tanks planet buster" is a better benchmark than "survives fight with Surfer." But we are talking about stuff in the Quasar or John Stewart bracket, which is distinctly below Surfer.

Anyway, I guess there isn't anything stopping Kyle from just going all central power battery Ion god mode here, which would be a wrap given he can rewrite time and be everywhere at once. Setting that aside... while Marvel has lots of really powerful people on the cosmic scene, they didn't have thousands of them. The Wave took out the Nova Corps with their opening move, presumably because the if the Novas got mobilized they would have been a problem. The Lanterns are pound for pound much more powerful than the Novas, and even with surprise strike the different Corps are too far apart to wipe them all out in one move. So I reckon the Lanterns can slow the Wave down. Their big issue is that as I recall the Wave was quickly decimating a galactic scale empire, and the Lanterns can't be everywhere at once. I imagine the damage would be pretty bad.

I also think the Galactus gun might be more of a liability than a boon. It didn't utilize the G's power very efficiently, given how Red Shift and Stardust performed against it. And theoretically team DC can free Galactus, which leads to it ending the exact same way it did for Marvel.

Extraordinary Member

Is Annihilus alliance with Thanos intact when he invades the DCU?

If yes, does Thanos get his two cosmic buddies to tag along?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Is Annihilus alliance with Thanos intact when he invades the DCU?

If yes, does Thanos get his two cosmic buddies to tag along?
    I wound assume Tenebrous and Aegis or whatever they were wouldn't be involved. They basically peaced once they took out Galactus.

If Thanos is involved, you also need to consider that he wound up betraying the Wave and ultimately let Galactus out... So again, double edged sword.

Is this Gladiator's cousin, Xenith?

Ravenous was a match for the Surfer
    That's being a little bit generous. That fight was mostly the Surfer saying repeatedly that he didn't want to fight, then ripping open a singularity and zipping out of there with Air Walker.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I think that Thanagar is gonna be catching more breaks than it can handle in this scenario.