Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Default Action Comics #1000: "Five Minutes" Interview/Preview

Superman Legends Simonson & Ordway Return for Action Comics #1000: https://www.cbr.com/action-comics-10...way-interview/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Superman Legends Simonson & Ordway Return for Action Comics #1000: https://www.cbr.com/action-comics-10...way-interview/
    Thanks... You have 5 MINUTES.. HAHAHHAHA...

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Sweet. I'm always so happy to see these creators in the blue moon that they've been coming around for the last 20 years. Louise Simonson has always been one of my favorite Superman writers and her MoS run was filled with great issues back to back. Five pages/minutes isn't much to write but she got back to her world very quickly there.

Above all, I'm pretty amazed that Ordway is still in his artistic prime, whether or not he's still fast. His work on details is just outstanding and McCraig gives him the perfect modern touch.

Fantastic Member

Bibbo!

Short and sweet, but very much in the vein of the Triangle era. I'm glad Weezy and Jerry got to be part of this.

Simonson: Superman was born an alien, but Earth is his chosen home. As humans — despite differences in race, religion, culture, or national origins — we are all his chosen people. Every one of us has power — so be like Superman! Look around you. Be inclusive. See where you can help. And use your power for good.

Couldn’t have said it better Louise.

Simonson is a very underrated Superman scribe. Jurgens gets the bulk of the credit for the triangle era, but she was just as highly a contributor to the successes of those days.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Simonson is a very underrated Superman scribe. Jurgens gets the bulk of the credit for the triangle era, but she was just as highly a contributor to the successes of those days.
    Yep - she's a gem. Would be great to see her on a main book again at some point (for a longer stretch, anyway).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Yeah case in point, how people talk about Superman #75 by itself when it's really a chapter of the story built by the whole group. I think Jurgens certainly pulled his weight but that era wasn't a one man show at all, as things often seem to be these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    She's a fantastic writer and I'd love to see her back on a Superman book or just working for DC in a regular capacity again. I also loved her run on the original X-Factor WAY back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah case in point, how people talk about Superman #75 by itself when it's really a chapter of the story built by the whole group. I think Jurgens certainly pulled his weight but that era wasn't a one man show at all, as things often seem to be these days.
    Truth. Carlin and all of those guys (and Louise) worked a magic we'll never see again in comic books. What they did on those books was almost like being a showrunner on a TV series. None of them get nearly the credit they deserve, and as much as I love The Death & Return, there are so many other great stories from that era that also deserve acclaim.

BANNED

I actually dislike Louise Simonson a little.

She seemed to be the only person pushing that god-awful character Jeb as a romantic rival to Clark, while all the other writers from that era went out of their way to pretend that the character didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ray View Post
    She seemed to be the only person pushing that god-awful character Jeb as a romantic rival to Clark, while all the other writers from that era went out of their way to pretend that the character didn't exist.
    It was the hair, wasn't it?

Rofl, Jeb is one of the great mysteries of comics. I have to go with the idea that he was supposed to be the worst because that's the best I can hope. Sort of frustrating but also amusing.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Rofl, Jeb is one of the great mysteries of comics. I have to go with the idea that he was supposed to be the worst because that's the best I can hope. Sort of frustrating but also amusing.
    And he got a semi heroic exit to boot. Couldn't stand the guy,but I think that was the point.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

I do agree that Jeb was "awful by design", that Simonson made him hateable on purpose and all, but that also hurt Lois' character.

Jeb was an ugly and unpleasant fella all around, so why Lois seemed to rethink her relationship with Clark whenever she interacted with this guy? If they really wanted Clark to have a "romantic rival", they should have used Alpha Centurion. The guy was cocky, but was heroic and good-looking. A Hal Jordan-type of guy. Did I like Alpha Centurion as a romantic rival? No, but at least I can buy it.

On the other hand, a married-to-be Lois flirting with this guy behind Clark's back...

... is much harder to accept.

I think the gag was, "what does she see in this guy?" Which is ultra common. This also makes it similar to pre-flashpoint Clark, who was married to Lois despite not looking like a real catch. Jeb is a take on the boyfriend/girlfriend inexplicable to second and third parties. Lois knows what there is, but it's hard for others to get it. One could look down on her (Ron Frenz apparently did) but to be fair, she did dump him and like mos1979 said, he went out looking decent.

Anyway, Weezy did great with characters like Keith and Alice, and it was great seeing Bibbo here. I wonder if Brian Cronin or someone ever asked her how she and Bog created Jeb.