Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Your Auntie Grizelda, maybe?
    Nah, Uncle Jack Napier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I will say, I think originally it was meant to be the Presence/Abrahamic God (we do have the Archangels, Lucifer, etc, so who else would it be?).
    In the DCU? Who knows. DC cosmology is very different from any real world example. It could be the Presence. Or God (take your pick which one), if you prefer to keep the two separate. Or it could be a Old God of the Third World, creating our multiverse (and New Gods) out of the dying embers of his reality. Or Dr. Manhattan, because Johns is trying to tell a good story out of a unholy premise.

So....what we know about the blue hand is.....that we don't know anything. Other than it's been hinted at being many different things over the years, but never confirmed, and always revealed to be a false lead? Really?

I am amazed that DC has resisted the temptation to answer this question for so long.

Hmm. What other mysteries are still out there in the DCU? Do we know what's beyond the Source Wall yet?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

In fact, the image of the hand had different explanations, two of them coming from the greenlantern titles, the same from which the concept came:

The first one can be read in Ganthet's tale, where Ganthet reveals than the hand was really an illusion created by another Guardian to keep hidden the real past of the oans, and in that way be
    protected from any attack through time. The effect for looking beyond that barrier would be a very explosive feedback.

466529-glganthetstale.jpg

The other explanation is than the hand was the hand of Volthoom who left his hand imprint when he traveled from the multiverse to the moment where Krona was looking into the past.

5726890-1488361847495.jpg

Despite being different, both explainations doesn't cancel each other.

The explanation from Multiversity is very metatextual, it implies that is the unseen hand of the reader/consumer or creator/comicbook artists, an empty hand which either can consume or create.

Also there is the "homage" origin, seen in JLA/Avengers, where the hand is the Hand of Eternity, over-looking the universe existence. But we can consider that not canon.

Last edited by Thor-Ul; 03-27-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Sometimes it is more interesting to not have an answer.

I like not knowing what's beyond the Source Wall or who's hand is mixing the cosmos about at the dawn of time. When we give definitive origins for more abstract concepts, the world that these comics exist in shrinks more and more.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

What if we were to discover that the hand belongs to Superman, and not just ANY Superman, but the original one from ACTION COMICS # 1 (1938)?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It's... drumroll please...Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson!
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    It's... drumroll please...Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson!
    I'd prefer to think of it as more like Jack Kirby . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    What if we were to discover that the hand belongs to Superman, and not just ANY Superman, but the original one from ACTION COMICS # 1 (1938)?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Well, you know I wouldn't argue with that.

But Golden Age Superman does seem the wrong version of the Man of Steel for such cosmic-ness. Perhaps instead a more inclusive, "omni-Superman" approach, as Morrison has occasionally tackled? Superman as a manifestation of concept.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, you know I wouldn't argue with that.

But Golden Age Superman does seem the wrong version of the Man of Steel for such cosmic-ness. Perhaps instead a more inclusive, "omni-Superman" approach, as Morrison has occasionally tackled? Superman as a manifestation of concept.
    How about either the Flashpoint or New52 versions of Superman (considering how screwed over they were)?

A long time ago in Marvel's Avengers book, there was a hand that reached in from beyond, and (re) animated a stone figure...

...that hand was more silvery/metallic but perhaps the same hand...?

Your Auntie Grizelda, maybe?
    Auntie Grizelda would have put more doilies up and covered half of the galaxies in plastic.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Hmm. What other mysteries are still out there in the DCU? Do we know what's beyond the Source Wall yet?
    That's rather an apt question at the moment actually. We don't know what's beyond the Source Wall but the nature of it has been altered slightly recently. Like, end of Metal recently.

WARNING SPOILERS IN THIS LINK:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/03/2...he-dc-universe

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Auntie Grizelda would have put more doilies up and covered half of the galaxies in plastic.
    I keep wondering how many people got the original reference, but then again, I'm older than a wooly mammoth . . .

I keep wondering how many people got the original reference, but then again, I'm older than a wooly mammoth . . .
    I totally missed it. I give you credit for the reference, though.

How about either the Flashpoint or New52 versions of Superman (considering how screwed over they were)?
    Oh, I wouldn't want any singular version of Superman to be responsible for the hand at the start of all things. That's far too big for any single continuity's Superman.

Morrison's Superman Prime (DC 1 Million), who was implied to have a kind of multiversal awareness (not so unlike Manhattan perhaps), might be a viable option. But anything less inclusive and cosmic than that is a no-go.

I gotta get down to the LCS and finish off Metal. This site is like a mine field of spoilers right now.

~ Black Panther.