Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Yeah, I dont get either why DC thinks brining back some of the worst aspects of Donna is in any way helpful.
    Rebirth Titans writing has been weak since the start, so of course they will go with a lazy, uninspired "evil future self" plot.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Donna's code name could simply be Wonder Girl in Spanish: Chica Maravilla. I just love the sound of it. Or simply Maravilla (Wonder).
    Interesting idea. I never considered translating "wonder".

Esperanto: Mirinda
    Icelandic: Furoa
    Hungarian: Csoda
    Latin: Signum
    Maori: Miharo
    Slovak: Zazrak

The Sesotho translation of Wonder, Ho Makala, sounds more like a translation of Troia.

Somali was one of the more amusing translations of both Wonder - Yaaba and Wonder Girl- Wax Yaabaha Gabadha

Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    Interesting idea. I never considered translating "wonder".

Esperanto: Mirinda
    Icelandic: Furoa
    Hungarian: Csoda
    Latin: Signum
    Maori: Miharo
    Slovak: Zazrak

The Sesotho translation of Wonder, Ho Makala, sounds more like a translation of Troia.

Somali was one of the more amusing translations of both Wonder - Yaaba and Wonder Girl- Wax Yaabaha Gabadha
    Samoan word for "wonder" sounds straight up badass: Mafaufau

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Samoan word for "wonder" sounds straight up badass: Mafaufau
    Unfortunately also open to easy redicule:

"Who are you?"
    "Mafaufau."
    "Ma Fu Fu?"

So I kind of got an idea for an origin for Donna for the movie (don't know if it has a chance of getting in the comics but whatever). See we've kind of discussed the idea of Donna being non white so I was wondering what if Donna were Filipina? The Amazons have been women from various national origins and we have had non Greek gods involved with the Amazons. Instead of a lasso, I'd give her a staff designed by Io and the throwing star weapon called the Star of Tala. Basically a reference to Jade from Mortal Kombat. In Filipino mythology, Tala is the goddess of stars, hence the name of Donna's weapon and could reference her costume.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-25-2018 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So I kind of got an idea for an origin for Donna for the movie (don't know if it has a chance of getting in the comics but whatever). See we've kind of discussed the idea of Donna being non white so I was wondering what if Donna were Filipino? The Amazons have been women from various national origins and we have had non Greek gods involved with the Amazons. Instead of a lasso, I'd give her a staff designed by Io and the throwing star weapon called the Star of Tala. Basically a reference to Jade from Mortal Kombat. In Filipino mythology, Tala is the goddess of stars, hence the name of Donna's weapon and could reference her costume.
    I like the idea of Donna being associated with a goddess of the stars. I had previously mentioned another star-goddess Asteria, daughter of the Titans Coeus and Phoebe. it would give Donna the Titan's connection. On a different note: I was reading my copy of the NTT Omnibus 1 which includes Vol 1 issue 10-11 a 2-part story by George Perez and Marv Wolfman where Donna brings an injured Garfield (Changeling/Beast Boy) to Paradise Island to be healed by the Purple Ray. Lovely spotlight on Donna. Loved the interaction between her and her mother, queen Hippolyta. Story reflects how much the writer/artist loved these characters. Miss the days when Donna was Diana's sister.

Hey, Asteria would be a cool name for her and it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    I like the idea of Donna being associated with a goddess of the stars. I had previously mentioned another star-goddess Asteria, daughter of the Titans Coeus and Phoebe. it would give Donna the Titan's connection. On a different note: I was reading my copy of the NTT Omnibus 1 which includes Vol 1 issue 10-11 a 2-part story by George Perez and Marv Wolfman where Donna brings an injured Garfield (Changeling/Beast Boy) to Paradise Island to be healed by the Purple Ray. Lovely spotlight on Donna. Loved the interaction between her and her mother, queen Hippolyta. Story reflects how much the writer/artist loved these characters. Miss the days when Donna was Diana's sister.
    Me too that's why I really liked Jimenez' Wonder Woman run too, her relationship with Diana felt real.

What if using a mix of Perez and Nubia's old origin. What if Diana was born but killed during the raids but Donna was the one that was unborn? Diana's soul was saved by Gaea and Hippoltya sculpts Diana. Circe takes Donna's soul and creates Donna. Or she could be a old soul's of Rhea's children that was eaten. She sends the soul into Hipppoltya's womb so Donna blood is not all of the TItan's

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    She has the best costume in the business. The star field costume is amazing.
    Which star field costume? It was introduced back in Perez' rainbow armor design, simplified by others, and eventually forgotten in favor of black leatherette armor.

I'm not a fan of the star field. I think it's an overly complicated coloring choice for a character whose defining trait is her complicated origin. In my opinion, it is an unkind reminder of her biggest weakness.

Her costume IS iconic, but like nearly all DC heroes, the most distinctive element is her neckline. In Donna's case, the V-Neck halter is uniquely HERS.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Okay, as much as I don't like the idea of evil Donna (she's gonna just turn out to be another Dark Angel), this actually looks REALLY good. Curious how she only mentions the Fab 5... or 6 really. The OG Teen Titans.

Also!!!!!

TROIA HAS A STAR FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

Ehh... yet another rehash of 'I'm evil i your future because everyone else is garbage now'... also whoever is on art needs to stop using Dali as inspiration for the faces.

Edit: Come to think of it... this better not have been what Twister was trying to summon back in Titans Hunt...

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Ehh... yet another rehash of 'I'm evil i your future because everyone else is garbage now'... also whoever is on art needs to stop using Dali as inspiration for the faces.

Edit: Come to think of it... this better not have been what Twister was trying to summon back in Titans Hunt...
    According to Abnett, it was. He's had this story in the pipe for a while.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey