Page 61 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I don’t think the clay origin is a bad idea. It confuses me when people say they don’t like it when they like it for Diana.
    For me, the clay origin is classic for Diana, whether the original version or the Perez version with the goddesses plus Hermes bestowing her with her powers. It's mythic and plays with classical mythology, but really worked with the messages and themes Marston and Perez where trying to embody in the character.

I love Donna and what she stands for, but she's not Diana. I don't see the characters as interchangeable with this origin (even with the changes they made to Donna's Instant Pot Amazon clay origin.) Donna had a different path (too many some would argue) to becoming a hero. (As you might surmise, I'm not the biggest fan of the Diana as the offspring of Zeus origin.)

My 2¢ on what appeals to me in the thematic sense for the two characters.

I never liked Donna tbh. I always thought she was boring and bland and a direct rip off of WW. She always came off to me the wrong way because writers portray her terribly most of the time. I like Cassie a lot more because her personality is much more likeable and I think she has a better relationship with Diana. That being said, Donna shouldn’t use the clay origin and that should only be for WW.
    Last edited by greymoon; 04-18-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

and another thing about that ridiculous origin...she's made from Hyppolyta turned clay...but wasn't this Hyppolyta an illusion? So are they now saying that she's made from lumps of regular clay and not Hyppolyta clay? Has that been addressed or just glossed over?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    and another thing about that ridiculous origin...she's made from Hyppolyta turned clay...but wasn't this Hyppolyta an illusion? So are they now saying that she's made from lumps of regular clay and not Hyppolyta clay? Has that been addressed or just glossed over?
    I just assumed it's a regular clay because of that

Oh, gods. What a confusing set of origins. They all have their ups and downs.

Things I like
    - Sister of Diana
    - Titans power
    Things I don't like
    - Purple ray
    - Magic mirror
    Things I don't mind
    - Created first as a weapon
    Things I'm undecided
    - Clay

So I think my ideal origin would be that she was created by the subsection of Amazons living on Themyscira that resents Hyppolite's rule for whatever reason. They fashioned her from clay to mimic Diana's origin exactly, but this time they used the power of The Titans, as they are classic enemies of The Olympians. She was named Troia, to represent the fall of a great city caused by infiltration.

Only they were found out and the evil Amazons were banished from the island. Troia was adopted by Hyppolite and grew up with Diana. She followed Diana to man's world and used the name Donna Troy, the details I can't bother right now. Eventually she found out the reason she was created and decided to use the name Donna Troy full time.

Who?

"In WW #206, Hippolyta flashes back to the truth, a revised version of Wonder Woman's origin story: Hippolyta had formed two babies from clay, one dark, and one light. They are brought to life by the gods, but Mars the god of war abducts baby Nubia, whom Hippolyta never sees again. Nubia is raised by Mars as his weapon of destruction against the Amazons. Mars and Nubia launch an attack on Paradise Island from their so-called "Slaughter Island." Coming to assist, Diana recognizes Mars' ring and removes it from Nubia's hand, breaking the god's mind control over Nubia. She and Diana oppose Mars, who flees, and Nubia leaves to lead her warriors "into ways of peace." Hippolyta reveals Nubia's origin to Diana.[1]

Sometime after Crisis a new version of Nubia, now called Nu'Bia, was introduced. When Nu'Bia first meets Diana, she mistakenly calls Diana by the name of her former queen "Antiope". Nu'Bia is only slightly surprised to discover that Diana is Antiope's niece. The woman identifies herself to Diana as Nu'Bia and says that she was a Themyscirian Amazon who won the "Tournament of Grace and Wonder" just as Diana previously had, and become the Amazons' first champion. Her assigned mission was to guard "Doom's Doorway", which is an entrance to the river Styx and the Tartarus Gate on Themyscira. Entering Doom's Doorway she was to guard the entryway from the inside, stopping anyone from entering or any creature from escaping. As Diana was never told of Nu'Bia it is assumed that the Themyscirian Amazons assumed she perished during her mission long before Diana's birth. Sometime during her time in Hell, Nu'bia explains she met the Zoroastrian god of light, Ahura Mazda, and became his lover.[1] She also explains that on another adventure where she aided Gorgons, she was given the ability called Cold Sight which allows her to transform any living being into stone as a gift of gratitude from the Gorgons. After aiding Wonder Woman with her mission Nu'Bia then returns to the underworld to see Ahura Mazda."

Okay, why not have both?

Truthfully, I was surprised that Dan Abnett didn't take advantage of the opportunity to fully restore Donna's Silver Age origin, as the baby girl rescued by Wonder Woman from a fire. However, in turning Donna's Silver Age origin into a false memory or enchantment, he accomplishes something else. In this way, they both grew up to find out they had been betrayed, ..and that their origins were lies.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-18-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Truthfully, I was surprised that Dan Abnett didn't take advantage of the opportunity to fully restore Donna's Silver Age origin, as the baby girl rescued by Wonder Woman from a fire. However, in this way, they both grew up to find out their origins were lies.
    I was scratching my head over the decision to got with Instant Pot Amazon Donna too, when it was the perfect opportunity to jettison the DCnU interpretation of her.

Over in the Batbooks, they'd never make Dick Grayson's Robin origin into he's a piece of Clayface that broke off and gained it's own personality.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Truthfully, I was surprised that Dan Abnett didn't take advantage of the opportunity to fully restore Donna's Silver Age origin, as the baby girl rescued by Wonder Woman from a fire. However, in this way, they both grew up to find out their origins were lies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I was scratching my head over the decision to got with Instant Pot Amazon Donna too, when it was the perfect opportunity to jettison the DCnU interpretation of her.

Over in the Batbooks, they'd never make Dick Grayson's Robin origin into he's a piece of Clayface that broke off and gained it's own personality.
    Especially considering that it seems to be fairly universally hated as an origin...that they have stuck with it this far is really baffling.

Why not have the amazons be able to have children with clay but Donna is different. She was created from a force that was for Hippoltya but instead is made into Donna.

I think I only want Diana and Nubia to be made of clay. Donna can either be mirror image brought to life, or WonderScott's idea of a human baby being brought to Paradise Island, trained and raised with the Amazons and had Purple Ray used on her. Combination of magic and science.

Other than the mirror why not have Donna be made from Science?

What, like a robot?
    Since we're bringing the whole family now, what is Cassie made of?

No robots, please!

I thought Cassie was half human, half goddess?

Usually I don't post here but I think is where the question must be done: Did anyone else noted than in the Titans relaunch cover Donna is using a belt with a new emblem?:
    Donna-1.jpg

A symbol of her heritage or a new codename hinted?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin