Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bring it on, I am quite looking forward to this event!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I guess you can't blame them. This is probably going to be another billion dollar box office. But I can't recall where a movie tie in provides a huge sales bump for comics. Most movie goers probably couldn't even find their way to a comic book store.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-28-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Incredible Member

Captain America Civil War hits theatres, Marvel launches Civil War II. X-Men Apocalypse hits theatres, Marvel launches Apocalypse Wars. Avengers Infinity War comes out, Marvel does Infinity WarS. So tedious. Whatever happened to just rereading the old stories the films are based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I guess you can't blame them. This is probably going to be another billion dollar box office. But I can't recall where a movie tie in provides a huge sales bump for comics. Most movie goers probably couldn't even find there way to a comic book store.
    Well, they understand an app at least, and they might be interested enough to get an issue or so. But it won't take long for them to figure out that the comic (which is trying really hard to allude that they're linked to the MCU with that event name) has nothing to do with the MCU, and would likely lose interest with characters they're not familiar with.

I mean, the win-win situation is that there are actual canon to MCU comics being made. But aside from the 'Preludes' which are just recaps and occasional additional backstory, there's never going to happen.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I mean it's already at 16 issues in tie ins and the lead in "Countdown" miniseries. Plus however many issues Infinity Wars itself will be (probably at least 5-6) and the lead in Guardians issues.
    So it's already well past a small event (like say Damnation) and we still don't know about tie ins and crossovers during the main event (could be none, maybe they decided to frontload the tie ins, but I doubt it)

So the question at this point is whether it will be a mid-sized event comprising mostly standalone tie ins (like Annihilation) or a huge event comprising lots of tie ins to ongoings.
    My guess would be the former, and whether this breaks marvels promise of no line wide events for 18 months will be eternally debated.
    Marvel was dividing "big events" from small events based on how line-wide it is. The question is more how many tie-ins there are.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Captain America Civil War hits theatres, Marvel launches Civil War II. X-Men Apocalypse hits theatres, Marvel launches Apocalypse Wars. Avengers Infinity War comes out, Marvel does Infinity WarS. So tedious. Whatever happened to just rereading the old stories the films are based on.
    Whatever happened to waiting to read a story and then judging whether it was good or bad or exciting or tedious?

And people can still read (or re-read) all the old stories that featured Thanos and the Infinity Stones/Gems. As someone who's read all those stories themselves, I'm happy to have something new in that vein to read - especially with Duggan writing it.

And if the attitude is "just reread the old stories" - why have new comics at all? After all, serialized comics are all about that never ending baton race of one creative team handing off to another and successive creative teams building on what others have done and adding to the mythology. Movie or no movie, someone was going to do another story with Thanos and the Infinity Stones at some point just as someone else will inevitably do another one - and another one after that - and so on down the road.

It's up to the creative teams involved to make any of those stories worth reading and worthwhile in and of themselves.

I think the odds of the team involved in this particular story succeeding in that regard is very high.

If Kuder isn't drawing this, though, I wonder where Marvel is going to have him go. I'm pretty sure he's exclusive to Marvel at the moment so they'll obviously want to set him up with a plum assignment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Exactly which makes me wonder why people keep preordering them. You think people would have learned by now after AXIS or Civil War 2.
    Because for every dud like Axis or Civil War, there's an event like Infinity, or Secret Wars or Secret Empire that turns out to be well-executed and well liked.

Extraordinary Member

It sounds to me like Marvel just dubbed Guardians of the Galaxy as Infinity Countdown because the sales for Guardians of the Galaxy weren't that good

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    It sounds to me like Marvel just dubbed Guardians of the Galaxy as Infinity Countdown because the sales for Guardians of the Galaxy weren't that good
    It's possible that's what happened with Infinity Countdown - but definitely this was always going to spin off into a larger event.

There's no way that Marvel wasn't going to have something with Infinity in the title on shelves this summer.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

I really think you all are taking this harder than you should. We don't know how wide this event is and as I've said, this event actually is one of those events with a good setup. Not as good as Secret Wars, but pretty damn good.
    The set up we got for this is incomparable to the Secret Wars set-up. That was 77+ books of epiciness.

Also, Dedato's work for New Avengers was so much better than his current nonsense. Seriously, Marvel is losing so much drawing talent that Dedato is on an event? Sigh...
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 03-28-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Plsu, look at Marvel's sales. Despite the complaints, events sell comics. If you feel otherwise, then don't buy them and multiple copies of books that aren't involved in an event in any way, shape, or form.
    I already don't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Also, Dedato's work for New Avengers was so much better than his current nonsense. Seriously, Marvel is losing so much drawing talent that Dedato is on an event? Sigh...
    Dedato's still as awesome as ever. I'll pick up anything he works on. His recent run on Old Man Logan was terrific.

And he's ideal for an event - not only for the fact that it looks great but he's very reliable at meeting deadlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Dedato's still as awesome as ever. I'll pick up anything he works on. His recent run on Old Man Logan was terrific.

And he's ideal for an event - not only for the fact that it looks great but he's very reliable at meeting deadlines.

I guess it's cool that there's still people who enjoy his work, but I'm over him. Everyone has either the same supermodel/action figure body, or is just huge and muscle bound. Hardly any nuance in character movement, design, or environments. If Kruder was doing the art, I might've given this a look, because his GotG work, and past Action Comics work, was awesome. I wonder what they put him on, if not this?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I guess it's cool that there's still people who enjoy his work, but I'm over him. Everyone has either the same supermodel/action figure body, or is just huge and muscle bound. Hardly any nuance in character movement, design, or environments. If Kruder was doing the art, I might've given this a look, because his GotG work, and past Action Comics work, was awesome. I wonder what they put him on, if not this?
    I think what makes Deodato's art stands out is that he actually has improved quite a bit in the past decade or so. His art is a lot less stiff and there's more variation among the characters.

Also, he draws a damn fine Loki.

Astonishing Member

Rember when marvel stated no events for 18 months,