Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Infinity War? How many times is Marvel going to rehash old stories?? What has happened to the 'House of Ideas'?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It got plenty of good reviews and favorable response and spurred a lot of thoughtful discussion.

It was divisive for some (with the most hostile reactions seeming to be from fans who didn't even read it) but the quality was high throughout.

Also, most superhero comics do end with one person hitting another.

You can say that's a limitation of the genre but it's nothing that SE was more guilty of than any other book where ultimately "might makes right."
    Well I'm only surmising from what I've seen on searches, I've found almost nothing good said, which doesn't mean it wasn't good of course but the vast majority seemed negative

Still there you go

As for the slug fest, my point there was I remember hearing reports saying it would be his core values rather than his strength that won the day, but in the end it was a fight

I know he grabbed mjolnir but given its a dubious dictate of character with the god storm and perhaps kobik effect once again that for me didn't cage it just being a rather quick fight after a 9 issue build up

I know that's par for the course but from what they were saying it looked like they were trying for something a bit more...well more.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    I just hope some how Silver Surfer (this one being more obvious), Blue Marvel and Spectrum are involved in some way.
    For what Blue Marvel was supposed to be, I felt like he was way too OP'd for how he was actually used. And then Ultimates came along and Ewing used him about as good a way as I could possibly imagine. And with great chemistry between him and Monica. Unfortunately I don't know how many authors have the wherewithal or the desire to make.it work as well as Al Ewing did.

There seems to be a lot of hate in this thread and I don't get it, what is wrong with having a new comic event with a similar theme to the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by FreshGuy View Post
    There seems to be a lot of hate in this thread and I don't get it, what is wrong with having a new comic event with a similar theme to the movie?
    I think a lot of people are sick of events being so common. I despise them in general since they usually hijack the series I want to read, forcing them to abandon their own stories to buttress another story that they have no relevance to. If the event was just a standalone miniseries that could be read or ignored as wished (like the original Secret Wars), I'm not sure we'd get the same reaction like we do now where events are bloated affairs with lots of subseries to go with the main one.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Wasn't secret empire a dud by such standards of mega events?
    I don't know about it being a dud. Every issue topped the sales chart, some issues even had legs on the chart presumably because of word of mouth of "y'know this isn't as bad as you think". It's true it's not a huge seller compared to other events, I'm not sure if it sold better or worse than Civil War II but both signal to me that even lesser selling events still are successes for the big two and as much as fans say they are sick of them most of them will turn out for the latest one.

As for it's reception. It did get a drubbing from both sides, a lot of the paranoia that this was to put a final nail in Steve Rogers and set up Sam Wilson as the one and only Captain America for all time whereas others had an equally stupid belief that it was designed to appeal to far right readers and we were supposed to think Hydra Cap was right and the Hydra did win Marvel's WWII. Neither arguments were about the actual content of the book.

There were genuine discussions on the positives (and negatives) at the time but largely drowned out by the hysteria. It would be interesting to revisit the event when all the craziness about it has died down. If there aren't already plans I imagine someone will want to use Hydra Steve as a villain at some point.

iirc they actually had to implore readers to stick with it due to the negative reaction
    Surely that's normal. With any controversial move you'll get writers asking fans to give it a chance and see where the story heads before judging it.

As for the slug fest, my point there was I remember hearing reports saying it would be his core values rather than his strength that won the day, but in the end it was a fight
    It was primarily a story about Steve Rogers allies bringing him back. He'd saved them and the world so many times, this time they had to save him. Such was the impact of Steve Rogers on their lives that most of the heroes went through hell to get cosmic cube fragments rather than go the easier route and kill him Stevil which is what Black Widow wanted to do and yes this was compared to Steve's own previous actions setting an example with specific call backs (and flashbacks) to Steve's battle in the original Civil War and facing down Thanos in the Infinity Gauntlet....that and Steve being worthy to wield Mjolnir to smack his Hydra counterpart.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Infinity War? How many times is Marvel going to rehash old stories?? What has happened to the 'House of Ideas'?
    Marvel has actually been known to go back to concepts and create sequels to stories. This is also nothing new to the Infinity line of books which had a string of sequels of similar names and concepts. Sure the naming could be a bit better among the big two but this isn't anything new, this goes back decades.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Of all the stories to borrow the title from, Infinity War is a good one. People will be going into comic shops to buy the comic the movie was inspired by, and a good comic shop will probably tell them "you really don't want that story." Before, they would point them to Infinity Gauntlet or Infinity, but now they can point to Infinity Wars #1.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FreshGuy View Post
    Nothing wrong with it.

If anything it makes perfect sense to have something on the shelves when a big movie comes out that has at least a tangential relationship to that big movie.

Unfortunately, there's a segment of fans who automatically want to hate on any attempt to appeal to new readers and see any attempt at "movie synergy" as somehow violating the imaginary sanctity of the holy bubble that they think comics should exist inside of.

Infinity Wars has been building for a while, steered solely by one of the best writers in comics. I'm sure it's going to be a very good read.

As for anyone who wants to whine about "what about new stories?", this IS a new story. I haven't read it yet and neither has anyone else. Yes, it involves Thanos and the Infinity Stones but this isn't Infinity Gauntlet or any of the other past stories that have featured those elements together. It's something new and it's outcome is not pre-determined. The MU is built on new writers coming in and adding to the mythology that has been laid down by others. So you're always going to have recurring elements as new writers come in and want to do their version of a Cosmic Cube story or an Infinity Stones saga and so on.

It's not about a lack of ideas, it's about wanting to honor the existing mythology, keep it alive, and carry it forward.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think a lot of people are sick of events being so common. I despise them in general since they usually hijack the series I want to read, forcing them to abandon their own stories to buttress another story that they have no relevance to. If the event was just a standalone miniseries that could be read or ignored as wished (like the original Secret Wars), I'm not sure we'd get the same reaction like we do now where events are bloated affairs with lots of subseries to go with the main one.
    The bolded part is exactly the problem I have with events these days.

Extraordinary Member

I think it's worth mentioning that Duggan has obviously been working on this story for a while and it doesn't look like a bunch of stories have been hijacked for this to work.

It also appears that the only characters involved who aren't typically associated with cosmic events are Loki and Dr. Strange, though Strange does have his new upcoming coming out, though I assume that the writer for that was aware of this upcoming event.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think it's worth mentioning that Duggan has obviously been working on this story for a while and it doesn't look like a bunch of stories have been hijacked for this to work.

It also appears that the only characters involved who aren't typically associated with cosmic events are Loki and Dr. Strange, though Strange does have his new upcoming coming out, though I assume that the writer for that was aware of this upcoming event.
    Very likely as Waid's Strange run has him in space.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Love it. Who made that?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    So many versions of this lol.