Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Star Wars: Admiral Holdo

Where will she rank in your list of worst and most annoying star wars characters?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Somewhere between Jar Jar and Watto.

Ultimate Member

I didn't like the Last Jedi but I liked Laura Dern as Holdo.

Her taking out the First Order fleet was pretty cool. I didn't like her interaction with Poe, she was a bit of a tool towards him.

Incredible Member

It doesn't make sense to me why you'd keep your plan, or even backup plan, secret from everyone who could have a role in enabling or undermining it, but I like Laura Dern, so she only annoyed me a little.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I didn't like the Last Jedi but I liked Laura Dern as Holdo.

Her taking out the First Order fleet was pretty cool. I didn't like her interaction with Poe, she was a bit of a tool towards him.
    I like Laura Dern, I hated Holdo. Her character made no sense. Holdo is the perfect example of what happens when misguided feminism goes so wrong.

Do you remember Umbrigde from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Holdo is a poorly created version of Umbridge.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 03-28-2018 at 02:19 AM.

She is nowhere near the list of worst characters. When i see somebody like Jar Jar Binks, Star Wars has shown to me how low a franchise can fall to. That character is like Mr. Freeze from Batman and Robin. Only a kid can like him. (There can be exceptions but i am speaking in general terms).

As to annoying. She was annoying/frustrating as long as she was hiding her plan and looked like a double agent. But after that she redeemed herself by sacrificing herself for the rebels in one of the coolest moments in Star Wars. I like her.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    It doesn't make sense to me why you'd keep your plan, or even backup plan, secret from everyone who could have a role in enabling or undermining it, but I like Laura Dern, so she only annoyed me a little.
    That plan was not a secret to everyone. The people at the bridge knew the plan. Poe found out after looking at a monitor which showed that the transports were being prepared. Thus, people fueling the transport knew too.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-28-2018 at 03:29 AM.

I'm kind of curious why Johnson didn't recut or reshoot parts of the film to actually have Holdo take over for Leia permanently, given Carrie's death in real life....I'm guessing it's in part so we get that final scene with Luke & her, and probably time and money concerns as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    Holdo is the perfect example of what happens when misguided feminism goes so wrong.
    Between this and calling the Black Panther movie "race baiting" twice in one post today your posts are taking on a much more unpleasant character.

Oh, and I quite liked Holdo. Shame she was a one off.

I'd say the Star Wars films have always had pretty strong female characters since film one. Leia, Padme (well, at least at first, ROTS cut back on her involvement and screen time), Rey, Jyn..although they didn't do that much, a lot of women Jedi too.in the canon EU,Ventress, Ashoka, Hera, Sabine, Sloane, Sana....and Aphra....

The old EU also had the very popular Mara Jade character.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Between this and calling the Black Panther movie "race baiting" twice in one post today your posts are taking on a much more unpleasant character.

Oh, and I quite liked Holdo. Shame she was a one off.
    I don't agree with you. it was not me that made black panther about race. it was Disney and the Media. Black Panther is a movie that will always be defined by race because that was the premise that was created for the movie.

As for Holdo, she was just a bad character and feminism done wrong. Leia was feminism done right in the original trilogy, Padme in the first two prequels also. Holdo was just created to talk down at Poe and have him whipped.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 03-28-2018 at 06:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'd say the Star Wars films have always had pretty strong female characters since film one. Leia, Padme (well, at least at first, ROTS cut back on her involvement and screen time), Rey, Jyn..although they didn't do that much, a lot of women Jedi too.in the canon EU,Ventress, Ashoka, Hera, Sabine, Sloane, Sana....and Aphra....

The old EU also had the very popular Mara Jade character.
    Padme was even better in attack of the clones. I know its fantasy but I kind of admired her fighting along with the jedis at the beginning of the clone wars as the only human with no special powers or lightsaber. I loved her strength as a politician and yes, romantic idealism in the movie. Holdo is just bad. she reminds me of this tom and jerry character called Mechano but the only diffidence is Mechano was a villian.

I like Laura Dern, I hated Holdo. Her character made no sense. Holdo is the perfect example of what happens when misguided feminism goes so wrong.

Do you remember Umbrigde from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Holdo is a poorly created version of Umbridge.
    I do not see the connection between the 2 characters. Umbridge was a semi evil bad guy who did horrible things. Holdo was just an ass and did not inform people of the plan.

I don't agree with you. it was not me that made black panther about race. it was Disney and the Media. Black Panther is a movie that will always be defined by race because that was the premise that was created for the movie.

As for Holdo, she was just a bad character and feminism done wrong. Leia was feminism done right in the original trilogy, Padme in the first two prequels also. Holdo was just created to talk down at Poe and have him whipped.
    I think the whole film was there to have Poe whipped, not just Holdo.

As for Holdo, she was just a bad character and feminism done wrong. Leia was feminism done right in the original trilogy, Padme in the first two prequels also. Holdo was just created to have talk down at Poe and have him whipped.
    I disagree. Poe's character went through a lot of character growth/progression. He was like Luke/Han of the original trilogy. Often thinking and jumping into action without heeding to wiser people. Taking really bold risks.

These can pay off by some stroke of luck. But that is not always going to work. Leaders need to take risks. But unnecessary risks can be bad. Poe learns this through the film. Towards the end he pulls off the suicidal run and actually uses his brain for once. Instead of running to help Luke he thinks 'Luke might be doing this for a reason'.

For that growth from a hot headed, 'no thinking' pilot to the 'possible' leader of the rebellion Holdo played a role. He needed a talk like that to learn. He was too hotheaded and excitable for his own good as well as the others. Unluckily, it did not help. And Poe went ahead and made the situation even worse. Only, this time he learnt.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-28-2018 at 06:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think the whole film was there to have Poe whipped, not just Holdo.
    Holdo did most of the whipping though. she always talked down at him. Leia at least seem worried about his recklessness.