Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    How many generals and admirals broadcast their battle plans to the entire corps/fleet?
    Here's where the scope and feel of the Resistance doesn't match between TFA and TLJ. From what was presented in TFA (and related materials), the TFA is a small group of rebels. They aren't a highly structured military organization. Leia keeps being called by her first name without a title.

Holdo then comes in in TLJ and knows these volunteer rebels are freaked out and does nothing. Unless everything we know about the Resistance changed with TLJ, then these aren't professional, highly trained soldiers/pilots. There's no reason to think Holdo shouldn't tell them something to avoid them freaking out.

Holdo not telling Poe is fine. He's a lose cannon and just got smacked down by Leia. But Holdo not telling Lt Connix implies those on the bridge had no idea what the plan was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    I like Laura Dern, I hated Holdo. Her character made no sense. Holdo is the perfect example of what happens when misguided feminism goes so wrong.

Do you remember Umbrigde from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Holdo is a poorly created version of Umbridge.
    I understood why she acted the way she did towards Poe. He was being a tool, and had just been demoted. Not knowing how the First Order had just found them it was a safe bet there might be a spy on board. Until you know for sure keep that info on a need to know basis. Based on his rank, Poe didn't need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Holdo is victim of bad writing and an uninteresting subplot. She is set up as the inflexible and rigid new leader, who doesn't listen to "the audiences hero" Poe Dameron. Poe is an idiot though and thinks he knows better than everyone else, minus Leia. Holdo pulling rank on Poe was a dick move. What she should've done instead was remind Poe of the chain of command, and that this is a genuine military. Not some rag tag outfit of "rebels with a cause".

Thinking of Star Trek, BSG and B5, Poe would've been thrown in the brig for his insubordination. But, we needed a mutiny to spice up the uninteresting subplot. So logic had to take a nap.
    I think the mistake is putting us firmly in Poe's P.O.V. By putting us in his view point. We have no real reason to sympathize with Holdo. So those of us who don't take to the character may care less about any sort of sacrifice. We sympathize with Poe because to us he's the guy who's actually doing something to save the resistance. From my first viewing I was of the opinion only Holdo and Leia knew that there was a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I think the mistake is putting us firmly in Poe's P.O.V. By putting us in his view point. We have no real reason to sympathize with Holdo. So those of us who don't take to the character may care less about any sort of sacrifice. We sympathize with Poe because to us he's the guy who's actually doing something to save the resistance. From my first viewing I was of the opinion only Holdo and Leia knew that there was a plan.
    I agree, I always felt Poe was overreacting in that arc.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I agree, I always felt Poe was overreacting in that arc.
    Oddly enough to I felt like Holdo was underreacting. Poe felt perfectly normal too me. Then again I never understood when or why Holdo started liking him. That line of "He's a troublemaker. I like him." Never made sense to me. So take from that what you will.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I think lots of people knew there was a plan, and even what the plan was. It wasn't Holdo and Leia who were fuelling up those ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think lots of people knew there was a plan, and even what the plan was. It wasn't Holdo and Leia who were fuelling up those ships.
    Plus Poe found out after watching a 'computer screen' on the Bridge. No one knew on the Bridge makes no sense. Everyone did not know. But a good number of people knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Plus Poe found out after watching a 'computer screen' on the Bridge. No one knew on the Bridge makes no sense. Everyone did not know. But a good number of people knew.
    It's likely the plan was on a need to know basis, and given that the First Order had just tracked them through hyper space, it's fair to say they may have thought there was a spy in their midst.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    It's likely the plan was on a need to know basis, and given that the First Order had just tracked them through hyper space, it's fair to say they may have thought there was a spy in their midst.
    Yep. That was it. It was a need to know thing.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Another problem with Holdo is she pulls a move that, while beautiful and awesome looking, just breaks the movie’s plot.

If one medium ship can do that to a fleet, then why by all that is good and holy was this tactic not used before hand? A desperate rebellion would of absolutely used the lightspeed ramming technique. Either hardline zealot volunteers or droids could have been sent out and utterly destroyed Imperial Fleets and big ships with only a small cost to the rebellion.

Or the Evil Empire would have done it for sure.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

I remember it actually being used in Archie Goodwin's newspaper strips from the 80's (non-canon, I know) where an overzealous Imperial fleet accidentally dropped out of hyperspace and ran into Vader's Super Star Destroyer, but the shields absorbed most of the damage (The smaller star destroyers, however, were not so lucky), although it delayed it long enough for the rebels to flee Yavin and get to Hoth.

Also the Disney canon still uses Interdictor cruisers which can stop any hyperspace activity; curiously the Dreadnought in TLJ's opening resembles one (although black and without the 'orbs').
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth