Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I thought it was a really bad end to the event... but that's how most events are like. Most events start strong, as the author sets up the stakes and make the heroes' victory seem difficult, but then usually falter by the end, as they either go on for too many issues, or the resolution doesn't seem to match the gravity of the setup.

Like other posters, the Joker reveal came out of left field. However, even prior to that, this issue had numerous 'out of left field' moments that I felt the previous issues didn't have.
    I like how Wonder Woman played an important part in finding the heroes, but we go from her encountering the Hawkman forge and telling Kendra to tell the truth while she dives into the grown, have several panels of other character's actions, and then suddenly its revealed that not only has Wonder Woman found Batman/Superman (off panel), but that they are now clad in their deus ex Tenth metal (which they acquired off panel as well). I guess since she dove into the forge, that is a reason, but it still seems poorly displayed. Then we have Batman saying he has 'one drop left' of the metal, and yet he's able to generate at least two, if not more of the metal, to armor up Green Lantern and Aquaman. The Egg/Plastic Man was built up for so long, only to serve in this issue as two pages of stalling action. Martian Manhunter seemed not entirely essential to this series, but seems to be added in after the fact. Then they were essentially able to wish for their victory, and the issue proceeded from there.
    This just felt like a really disjointed issue, dunno if editing got rid of some of the important interstitial panels.

That said, some of the individual scenes were a delight - the group celebrating together towards the end of the issue, the multiversal Batmen, Joker dragon & Nightwing reaction, and everything Wonder Woman.

I feel like Batman's exposition at the end of what to expect from DC comics going forward seemed a little too 'over-explainy.'
    Last edited by lefthanded; 03-28-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    My favorite part of this issue was that they actually set aside a few pages for a celebration. It might seem like a little thing but it just makes the entire event so much sweeter ending on a high note like that, as well as leaving open exciting new story possibilities.
    I felt the same way. I liked the 6th issue but I loved the epilogue.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I felt the same way. I liked the 6th issue but I loved the epilogue.
    And the Jon and Damian rock band came true!

Quote Originally Posted by philosopop View Post
    I have to reread Metal because I'm confused with a few things:

Earth 53 -- where, when, and how did it come about?
    Earth-53 came about in the Wild Hunt oneshot. It's home to the Primate Legion from DC One Million.

Extraordinary Member

This whole event has been very muddled from the get go. Like the other issues, this issue is filled with deus ex machina moments that almost make no sense. There's also some major continuity errors because isn't Plastic Man supposed to be dormant until the very first issue of The Terrifics...

However, I will say that this issue was probably the best issue of the whole event. The battle was well orchestrated and felt like there was some actual pay off for the event. It does also set up some things nicely. But, other than that...what can I say? Thank god for Doomsday Clock.

Every time I read a Scott Snyder interview, or when I read what his fans say, I think I need to try again, even though I didn't like his work on Batman. And I'm planning to do that again by reading at least the fist volume of American Vampire.

But Metal is definitely not the book that will make me change my mind about his writing. To me, his writing is really only scratching the surface of things and is definitely not as smart as he thinks it is. His themes and the messages he tries to convey are really not that deep nor original.

Again, I'm not claiming this as some kind of universal truth, I'm just sharing my opinion, but to me, Metal was forgettable and even kinda boring.

I really enjoyed this event but just to clarify (and sorry if this was glaringly obvious to other readers), what actually happened to the dark Batmen?

I know Red Death straight-up dies in Wild Hunt, but the fates of the others seem vague at best. Is it more or less implied that the 10th metal can harm them, and so once the heroes get it they kill the Batmen pretty easily (in which case Drowned is the only one who dies on-panel)?

Even if that's the case, the Batman Who Laughs is last seen fighting the Joker but is otherwise not really hindered in any way. Did I just miss something or is he still out there?

BWL is still out there, he will appear in Immortal men 3 (at the very least). I guess others may return too, depending of Snyder and other writer's whims.

Liked the ending, but got to go back and read it all together now that is completed. How long till we get the omnibus for this series?

Epilogue was the best part. The rest was a big gooforama, like all the rest of this series. A bunch of cool stuff thrown onto a page because its cool and makes for good imagery and for no other reason at all. But in way, thats a big part of what I love about comics.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I sat down last night and read everything except the individual Dark Batmen stories in order, and I think it works. I do think Batman Lost and Hawkman Found are helpful but not necessary, while Wild Hunt really helped me transition from 5 to 6. (Full disclosure, I didn't read Wild Hunt when it came out, only in the reread after having read the main series once).

It's big and goofy and steeped in DC lore, but the story works pretty well when read as a piece. The story pulled out all the stops and I liked how it expanded the Multiverse in a way that made sense. DC Cosmic is the Multiverse and it did tie everything together.

Spectacular Member

Still waiting to pick this up Saturday, but have already spoiled it for myself for the most part. Putting that aside, where do we think Nix Uotan was in all this?

Astonishing Member

What lasting effect, if any, do you think Metal will have?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    will be looked at as a model for event comics from now.
    will be seen as scott snyder gaining more creative control at DC
    shows the DCU becoming more cohesive since the new 52(even rebirth era wasn't that cohesive besides all the books teasing doomsday clock)
    introducing dark multiverse
    Atlantis rising has the potential for many big stories
    whichever new age of heroes manage to last and become fan favorites will be a product of metal's success
    duke thomas getting his superhero name

I can keep going but you get the point

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Well, a Justice League shake-up for one. Once No-Justice rolls around or Priest's run ends.
    New characters on Teen Titans, and the three "old" ones have no real ties to previous incarnations.
    Bringing J'onn back.