Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Are the anthology/Story movies dead?

"Rogue One" of course successful, but after the Solo shakeup last year, we've heard very little about a third spin-off film, just the announcement of two new trilogies by Rian Johnson, and the Game of Thrones guys. While certainly cool of course, it doesn't exactly fit into what was thought to be the spin-off idea.

Last June Kennedy said there would be an announcement of a third spin-off that Summer, but nothing happened (This was right before the Solo problems). While there have been persistent rumors of an Obi-Wan Kenobi spin-off since last fall, there's been nothing official released from Lucasfilm/Disney at all.

Could the Solo movie problems have caused Disney/Lucasfilm to rethink the one film spin-off projects?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Maybe they just want to wait and see how well Solo does?

I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for the Solo movie to finish. Of course they could also be having problems keeping directors or something else with the production.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I'm all for more anthology movies, but the main issue I have is that so many suggested seem to be set in that same period between III and IV. And I'm down for more in that time anyway, but I think having one in a different period like pre Phantom Menace or somewhere in the new window between VI and VII would be nice too.

It will depend on how Solo does. Rogue One had a troubled production, but did great at the Box Office. Solo has mimicked the former part though by having a troubled production again, and probably why they haven't committed to anything else right now. But revenue makes everything worth it and if the film does well, they'll do at least one more. And it'll most likely be Obi-Wan.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-11-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Allison Shearmur's illness and death has likely had an impact on the anthology movies. She was Kathleen Kennedy's right hand. Episode IX begins shooting this summer. If they had another movie in production, then that would have been primarily overseen by Shearmur.