Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'd also add that Solo's PR campaign was a bit of a mess. We heard nothing of the film for most of the year, only to get drowned in stuff from April onwards, and very little of it seemed to really portray the film's strengths beyond "look, here's more Star Wars".

To O.P. - I don't think the anthology films are dead but Disney and Lucasfilm are going to have to reconsider their approach. For one thing, if they're going to look for distinctive creative voices they're going to have to accept those peoples' ideas may not fit the established mold (no, I don't know if Lord & Miller's ideas for Solo were better than what we got but it's not a great look to fire guys like that and replace them with, apologies to Ron Howard, a talented journeyman). They should also consider that, if these films are going to be laser-targeted at the most dedicated fans of Star Wars (which Solo absolutely was - I can't imagine a more casual audience ever wondered about Han's past or even knew what a Kessel Run is), they're just not going to be as successful as the core saga, and maybe it would be best to see about making them more economically. Granted, Solo's budget spiralling up to and beyond $300million was in no small part down to the reshoots, but even so, does a space western about a smuggler and his hairy friend need to cost half of that? I'm not convinced it does. If they can make a Star Wars film for under $100million and it 'only' makes $500million global, that's still a big success, relatively speaking.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Hiring The Rock is creative how exactly?
    I don't buy anything Dave Hollis was saying in the beginning of that quote. It was all what people want to hear - we're saying we're being creative and taking risks but that's all a cover for doing formulaic storytelling and casting The Rock.

But part of the mentality studio execs have is that they hire young, creative directors and/or writers who "get" the modern audience. The execs think all the movies they're working on are utter and complete garbage. They have little respect for the audience - but their mentality is to hire some young, hot director who some how understands why young people watch one movie over another.

Overseas is far more straight forward. Overseas distributors see the key being old-school proven star power and effects and the actors they want cast is so laughable. For example, Sony's overseas divisions wouldn't release All the Money in the World without a "name" attached the movie - Mark Wahlberg was acceptable to them, not Kevin Spacey.

iMan 42s

Not dead, but definitely on hiatus. Solo isn't a terrible film but it suffers from a lot unrelated to it;

-TLJ was polarizing and caused a bunch of people to boycott current Star Wars.
    -BTS struggles with directors doing weird stuff with LFL properties and the director change also creates problems with the product itself being uneven.
    -They couldn't scrap what failed because being this long into production you can't recoup those costs and merchandising is done well over a year in advance. Meaning something has to launch.
    -Solo is also surrounded by major blockbusters in within weeks of each other;

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Deadpoool 2
    Ant man and the Wasp

Solo is already fighting an uphill battle. The timing was extremely poor. But Lucasfilm wants multi-film releases a year and the May timeslot is also a testing of that almost as much as being cutesy about the release date origins.

-The media onslaught was also abrupt. It's not for anybody who follows this but for the GA, you basically got pelted with Star Wars once May hit. This is an extension of the BTS troubles trying to rectify the product, but once it was ready to ship in the best condition it could be given the circumstances, it's almost kissing the release date.

The Anthology movies are not dead but as Lucasfilm has pretty much stated already, they are not willing to just let people play with things as much as they did anymore. Basically whatever they do next they are not only going to give the product breathing room, but are going to be hands on with this. I'd expect a delay with the next one so Lucasfilm knows exactly what's happening with it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I certainly hope they're not dead. I kind of prefer them over the trilogy movies. For one thing, there is less at stake. Things like Solo are allowed to bomb because it's not like they're going to pick them up again later. They can just move on to another idea. This is how movies are supposed to work. Try out new things. Some of them will do well, some of them won't. Not everything has to be about Jedis.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    I'd also add that Solo's PR campaign was a bit of a mess. We heard nothing of the film for most of the year, only to get drowned in stuff from April onwards, and very little of it seemed to really portray the film's strengths beyond "look, here's more Star Wars".

To O.P. - I don't think the anthology films are dead but Disney and Lucasfilm are going to have to reconsider their approach. For one thing, if they're going to look for distinctive creative voices they're going to have to accept those peoples' ideas may not fit the established mold (no, I don't know if Lord & Miller's ideas for Solo were better than what we got but it's not a great look to fire guys like that and replace them with, apologies to Ron Howard, a talented journeyman).
    So what your saying is an Oscar winning director who has a career that has spanned decades is less of a director than the guys who made 21 Jump Street?!? The guy who directed Backdraft, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon, Apollo 13, Parenthood, Cinderella Man, Rush, and many more is less talented than two clowns who made a couple movies about and old TV show and a movie about Legos?

Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    So what your saying is an Oscar winning director who has a career that has spanned decades is less of a director than the guys who made 21 Jump Street?!? The guy who directed Backdraft, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon, Apollo 13, Parenthood, Cinderella Man, Rush, and many more is less talented than two clowns who made a couple movies about and old TV show and a movie about Legos?

Bullshit.
    He also made the Da Vinci Code movie and both sequels, The Dilemma (a Vince Vaughn/Kevin James 'comedy' about married infidelity if you're wondering why you don't remember it) and Coccoon, not to mention stuff like The Missing and In The Heart Of The Sea which aren't necessarily bad but aren't good enough to really stick with you.

Notice that I called Howard a 'journeyman'. That is not the same as being a hack. Hacks suck, pure and simple, and Howard certainly doesn't. What I mean by 'journeyman' is that he's not a director of particular vision. He's got no single style he brings to his work; rather, he lets the material shape his style. Which is sometimes a very desirable quality, especially with a big studio system defined by exploiting brand names. Lucasfilm needed a guy who could come into a stalled production at the 11th hour, have to reshoot most of it, and still have a finished movie ready for release on the original date. By those parameters, Howard was a perfect choice. An experienced hand who knows, and expects, to be given a ton of producer's notes and will stick with them. His only failing was ensuring that the film could only ever be as good as its script, which...left something to be desired.

Here's the thing, though: Lucasfilm hired Lord and Miller first. And however short those guys' credit list is, they've built their own little brand by sticking to a particular niche. They make wild, scattershot, character-driven comedy that never fails to be snarky or mean to its participants but is still driven by very simple, very relatable emotional beats. If Lucasfilm hired them, it's because they wanted Solo to have the Lord and Miller 'feel'. At least, until they changed their minds, and decided instead that what they wanted was just Star Wars. Like, not even a Rogue One-style minor facelift of Star Wars (and let's not forget that movie had a troubled production and hefty reshoots too), just the same Star Wars they'd already made. And that just...bothers me, because if they just wanna make the same kind of Star Wars movie forever, why bother with the anthology concept? You already have an ongoing sequel series that, even with The Last Jedi taking some big chances, is unlikely to really change in the long term. If the anthology movies want to at least pretend to be about anything beyond providing Hasbro more source material for toys, they need to start taking chances, and that means hiring wild-card talent and sticking with them.

And Ron Howard is not and has never been a 'wild-card'.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

Bullshit.
    Ron Howard is many things. Suited to direct a movie about a roguish hero is not one of them, regardless of how much talent he has.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I keep seeing that the Last Jedi took chances...but it seems just as formulaic as The Force Awakens.