Incredible Member

Default Flash #43 [SPOILERS]

I think what's most interesting about this issue is what it doesn't do. Yeah, Barry steps up, saves the day (well, mostly...), yadda-yadda... but there is absolutely no indication whatsoever that Grodd was manipulating Barry beyond the stuff that was blatantly obvious already. Not like he had been doing to Meena (and the issue DOES state that explicitly, albeit with the caveat she was genuinely angry at Barry, which gave Grodd a way in) before, and the other speedsters this issue. He wasn't mind-controlled or brainwashed in any way, Grodd just insulted him and depowered him.

As a result, the character whiplash is pretty striking. While he makes the noises about how the Flash Family "showed him that he had his head and heart long before he had the powers", pretty much everything everyone else says under Grodd's influence is still true. He DID shaft them all to get his powers back, and didn't even start to think (let alone act) heroically until he'd already achieved that. Which only reinforces the "he's nothing without his powers" line from previous issues...
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 03-28-2018 at 08:14 AM.

I think he just realized or finally accepted that he's been a jerk and then try to fix his mistakes. Grodd might not have manipulated him directly by mind control, but just used words to push him over the edge. That's my theory only though. Personally, I don't think blame all of his actions on being manipulated would really do justice, just accept that he's human, albeit with power, and he has his down time and he does mess up.

His speech about never raising his hand against his family is nice though. Admittedly, he did hurt them.

vibe

The Flash Season 4 seems stranger than the previous ones? That’s because Barry would never get out of Speed Force! That’s the WTF theory of the week.

Season 4 of The Flash is amazing and very mysterious. It seems that all the pieces of the puzzle are much more difficult to collect than usual.

First of all, one wonders who is the strange young woman who invited herself to the wedding to Barry but also why Cecile suddenly has powers of telepathy. Certainly the young woman is pregnant but neither Joe, or she is a metahuman.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-28-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Barry saved the day, but the whole Speed junkie fiasco still hurt.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Am I the only one who doesn't think that Barry looked that bad?

I mean, okay, Grodd didn't manipulate him: regardless everything had gone to hell, Grodd was messing with him, he felt powerless while having a friend, 3 of his protégées and a friend on the line of fire in his place.

Also, losing speed is historically traumatic: Wally, Bart and Jesse all dealt with it poorly in the past.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I thought the art was pretty awful again. Also, it seems like everyone was pushed aside so Barry could be the hero even though he did come off looking kind of bad. Hopefully, Wally gets to shine a bit more in Flash War.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't think that Barry looked that bad?

I mean, okay, Grodd didn't manipulate him: regardless everything had gone to hell, Grodd was messing with him, he felt powerless while having a friend, 3 of his protégées and a friend on the line of fire in his place.

Also, losing speed is historically traumatic: Wally, Bart and Jesse all dealt with it poorly in the past.
    To be honest, I'm kinda torn on this one. IT was interesting that it tried to examine who Barry is and what being Flash represents to him, but it didn't feel like Barry at all, it really felt out ot character to me.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Man I still think DC is missing a golden opportunity here when it comes to Barry. I really believe that depowering Barry for a while and making him step into a supporting role with Wally taking the lead would make for such great story potential. We have never seen Barry in a role like that before of not being the one with powers.

I still am really liking this storyline though.

Always Rakzo

Sad that more people are not discussing this. I mean, this is bound to happen considering that this is released in the same week of the outstanding Doomsday Clock but for me Williamson is doing one of the best pure superhero books on the stands, he just creates great characterization and follows what was established in previous continuities perfectly and in some cases even expands on those ideas (is much better than other titles that tried to do the same but in many instances failed, i.e. Percy's Green Arrow).

This issue was another good example of that direction thanks to the solid portrayals that reunite The Flash family and plant the seeds for upcoming stories while giving a pretty appropriate depiction to Grodd which seems to be kinda influenced by Manapul/Buccellato's reinvention but also by Johns' classic interpretation. Giandomenico's artwork continues to deliver as well. Such a great book.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Man I still think DC is missing a golden opportunity here when it comes to Barry. I really believe that depowering Barry for a while and making him step into a supporting role with Wally taking the lead would make for such great story potential. We have never seen Barry in a role like that before of not being the one with powers.

Anything to take Barry out of the picture, huh? Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Barry saved the day, but the whole Speed junkie fiasco still hurt.
    Agreed, Speed Junkie Barry does hurt, especially when its not confirmed as Grodd controlling him... But I’m glad Wally gets a chance to shine

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Anything to take Barry out of the picture, huh? Sad.
    Exactly. What a golden opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

It would kill all story potential that comes with Barry as the Flash. I am glad that we haven't seen Barry in a role like that because Barry is the Flash and in my opinion, that is the role he should have.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman