Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Going with Tami
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    When I had the chance to propose a new theme, several times I deliberately decided not to post the best cover I had in mind - hoping that someone will post it and that it will get some votes and even win ! I guess it's one of the secret pleasure of setting a new contest...
    Heh. I also do the same thing.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I guess that there are a few unwritten rules :

- we don't vote for our own entries for the reasons stated above
    - we also very rarely vote for the cover posted in the first post of the thread - the one setting the new theme. I've seen it, but only a very few time.

So even if your cover is really gorgeous - and maybe the best - it's unlikely that it will get a vote.

When I had the chance to propose a new theme, several times I deliberately decided not to post the best cover I had in mind - hoping that someone will post it and that it will get some votes and even win ! I guess it's one of the secret pleasure of setting a new contest...

Last rule - it was always unclear for me... I'm not sure of it... So I'll use a question : are we allowed to vote even if we didn't post an entry? (I posted one just to get the right to vote thus week )

And I have to decide what will get that vote... Storm, Kripton's craziness or FF villains with unusual masks or faces...
    I have voted for contest started on a few occasions. I'd find the possibility of a "easy win" cover rare except in cases of ill defined and restrictive contests.

I would say we are entitled to vote even if we haven't entered. It's my belief that doing so excessively would be a social faux pas, but on occasions when someone forgets or they just can't come up with a cover, it's OK with me.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

foxley for the Dave Gibbons Doctor Who cover!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Chicken Pocket because that's the first Fantastic Four comic I read when I was younger.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

The Darknight Detective for me, one of Bats' craziest transformations from that era. And I love how befuddled poor Robin and Bat-Girl are.

Astonishing Member

WestPhillyPunisher for that great Spider-Man cover by Gil Kane.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The times I've won I just picked any cover that represented the theme. " Best" is in the eye of the beholder.

I guess that there are a few unwritten rules :

- we don't vote for our own entries for the reasons stated above
    - we also very rarely vote for the cover posted in the first post of the thread - the one setting the new theme. I've seen it, but only a very few time.

So even if your cover is really gorgeous - and maybe the best - it's unlikely that it will get a vote.

When I had the chance to propose a new theme, several times I deliberately decided not to post the best cover I had in mind - hoping that someone will post it and that it will get some votes and even win ! I guess it's one of the secret pleasures of setting a new contest...

Last rule - it was always unclear for me... I'm not sure of it... So I'll use a question : are we allowed to vote even if we didn't post an entry? (I posted one just to get the right to vote this week )

And I have to decide what will get that vote... Storm, Kripton's craziness or FF villains with unusual masks or faces...
    It's perfectly acceptable to vote for the OP. I'm not sure why it doesn't happen more often.
    It's generally frowned upon to vote for yourself. kind of a dick move.
    Anyone can vote whether they've entered or not. We've often had ties broken in that fashion.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Scott Taylor.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

And also Soubhagya , you cover isn't the best cover. Even if you voted for it , you wouldn't win.

nx01a

The cover is truly spectacular in my opinion. First its a really freakish design. There has been a lot of freakish ones. I loved Tami, Venomous Mask and Kirby101 in how freakish the final transformation was. Secondly, its a horrific one. There's shock and pain in this transformation. There is nothing bad with a comedic one. I loved The Darknight Detective, The Celtic Batman and mine too for that. But when there's transformation there often is shock and pain. And Storm's transformation really shows that. Third its a really good cover. Its one of the few choices which i genuinely think is a better cover then my post. (Few points to be noted. The lines around her figure and the arrangement of hair as if its one makes it even more freakish. I just loved it).

If i would have given a second position i would have tied it between foxely and Kai "The spy'. Foxley's choice is terrific. I simply love the stage wise transformation of Dr. Who. Its a fantastic cover. And Kai "The spy" cover of Godzilla is just too good. I am in love with the cover. Godzilla is the one terrified and the whole world is the monster is so nicely done. Its both horrific and funny.

And its painful to not select seismic-2's cover. That cover is one of my favorites. And that issue is also one of my favorites. I adore that cover. Its kinda sad that i have to choose one. There are so many good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    And also Soubhagya , you cover isn't the best cover. Even if you voted for it , you wouldn't win.
    I am sorry for posting my questions. It was a genuine query as its my second participation in this contest.

I don't really care for winning. Had i wanted to do that i could have done it the first time. I won that one by a tie-breaker. I want to vote for the one that i love. And what i love and what i think is the best is pretty closely related. What will i win anyway? A right to chose the next theme. And some congrats. Of course, everyone wants to win. But my query was because i love the cover.

I think my choice is one of the best ones here. First, its a beautiful cover. Nice colors and art. Second, its humorous. I love and prefer such covers. I actually wanted to see a lot of funny covers when i chose the theme. (I am glad in how it turned out though. There's some really nice ones i wouldn't have seen otherwise). Third, that Superman's head has changed into a lion is amazing in itself. Fourth, the expression on Lois Lane is pure gold. I simply love it. Fifth, i love the allusion to Beauty and The Beast. 'A modern version of that story.' Not that i am a big fan of that story. But i love the message of love which goes much deeper then outer appearances. I don't know what's inside. Haven't actually read the issue. But due to all of these reasons i think its one of the best covers for this theme and i love it.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-03-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Seismic-2

Beautiful Frank Quitely cover.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You can, but we all think our cover is the best, that is why we post them. No rule against it, but it's not cricket.
    True.
    To me all the covers i post in this weekly contest are winners,thus why i do not get bothered when i do not get any votes.
    Because to me the cover i choose is great,it having gained votes or not is not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Thirded!
    When i win a contest i always try not to have the best cover to the theme i choose.Because i know since i won in that week i won´t be wining again so i might as well,let the best covers so others can choose that cover.