Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What is/was your favourite Teen Drama and why?

Saved by the Bell
    One Tree Hill
    Brevely Hills 90210
    Dawson's Creek
    The OC
    Friday Night Lights
    Smallvile
    Gossip Girl
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Riverdale
    Degrassi: The Next Generation
    Glee
    Teen Wolf
    Rosewell
    Vampire Diaries
    Pretty Little Liars.
    Veronica Mars

These are some of the teen shows I know though I admit I did not watch up to half of them. my favourites would be Saved By the Bell, Boy meets World , Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Friday Night Lights. I felt they were well written shows that had a lot of layers to them. I never saw Veronica Mars, Smallville or most of Dawson's Creek but I heard very good things about them.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Buffy and Veronica Mars are the only ones on that list I saw in their entirety (I watched about the first half season of Glee). Buffy is my favorite show of all time and VM is at least in my top 10. For the same reasons: compelling storylines, great actor chemistry, sharp dialogue, good world-building.

Buffy the Vampire slayer is probably my all time favorite show period.

And I liked it for the reasons I suppose one might like any show... good writing, fun characters with great chemistry. Unlike some teen shows I think it also blended genres to provide a good deal of action, horror, and humor better than any other show I can think of off the top of my head.

I’m addicted to Riverdale. It’s just the right amount of soapy, the characterizations are strong and the story swerves enough to keep the audience guessing. It’s one of my favorite shows on right now.

Smallville. It was the show my entire family watched together. The nostalgia that show has to me is no joke. I watch the entire series once a year since it ended.

The OC was pretty much my kind of show. I was not even a teen when it came out but it really all the high notes as far my interest, badass young blond rugged protagonist Ben Mackenzie that gets to join a rich Californian family, a funny super-hero loving one-liner marvel in Seth Cohen, a lot of beautiful ladies, fights breaking out parties, etc...And most of the lead characters you felt were pretty good people and liked one another. Imagine that.

Oh yea and one of the best TV show opening songs ever.

None, really. I preferred comedy sitcoms over dramas. Boy Meets World, a lot of the 90s Disney shows, etc.

Though I never got into Friends (don't hate me!).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Buffy the Vampire Diaries. Best ever
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Does Buffy really qualify? I mean it's my favorite on the list but not really pure teen drama like 90210 or Dawson. Smallville,Teen Wolf seem a little off too.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I’m addicted to Riverdale. It’s just the right amount of soapy, the characterizations are strong and the story swerves enough to keep the audience guessing. It’s one of my favorite shows on right now.
    I almost wish I hadn't grown up with the old-school Archie Comics so that this show seems ridiculous to me. (I know, it's not the show, it's me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    Saved by the Bell
    One Tree Hill
    Brevely Hills 90210
    Dawson's Creek
    The OC
    Friday Night Lights
    Smallvile
    Gossip Girl
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Riverdale
    Degrassi: The Next Generation
    Glee
    Teen Wolf
    Rosewell
    Vampire Diaries
    Pretty Little Liars.
    Veronica Mars
    out of that list, it'd be Smallville and Buffy closely following. I really only remember the suicide episode of 90210.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Buffy and Veronica Mars are the only ones on that list I saw in their entirety (I watched about the first half season of Glee). Buffy is my favorite show of all time and VM is at least in my top 10. For the same reasons: compelling storylines, great actor chemistry, sharp dialogue, good world-building.
    Was going to reply, but this says everything worthwhile that I could think of.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Buffy only sort of fits this particular genre but it is a strong contender for my favourite drama (1 hour) show ever. Freaks and Geeks, however, does fit this to a tee and not only do I love it very nearly as much as Buffy but is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of being a teenager in a way those other soapy teen dramas couldn't even dream. It's also laugh out loud funny with a killer soundtrack.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

The only two I watched were Buffy and Smallville. I'd say Buffy because I really loved it for five seasons, still liked it for the 6th and could tolerate the 7th although it was largely the momentum of the first three seasons that kept me going. Smallville was okay but I didn't really start to enjoy it until season 8 when it was leaving the teen angst behind while, with Buffy, I generally embraced the teen angst.

Then again, maybe it was because I had already watched Buffy that I wasn't all that willing to go through the melodrama again on Smallville.

As to why I liked Buffy, it was sometimes poignant and sometimes funny and imaginative and had enough going on besides the teen angst to pull me in. If it was just the teen angst without vampires, I would never have watched it.

Strangely, I've never been able to get myself to watch Buffy and Angel again yet I've started watching Smallville through again and quite enjoy it, even the first season. So, I'd have to say I prefer Smallville in the long run though I liked Buffy better when they originally aired.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Buffy only sort of fits this particular genre but it is a strong contender for my favourite drama (1 hour) show ever. Freaks and Geeks, however, does fit this to a tee and not only do I love it very nearly as much as Buffy but is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of being a teenager in a way those other soapy teen dramas couldn't even dream. It's also laugh out loud funny with a killer soundtrack.
    Freaks And Geeks is obviously the correct answer.