Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and say it. The Inhumans are a more compelling group than whatever the X-Men have become. 40 years later, and not much has changed with that lot. Phoenix, Logan, Mutant-phobia, etc, etc.

I still don't understand how the MU rationalizes discriminating the X-Men in a world of super-powered beings. Doesn't make a lot of sense all things considered.
    That mirrors real world bigotry. Why is there anti-semitism? People need something to hate; usually an out-group. Ben Grimm used to be a human. Rogue was only cloaked as a human until she would have the power to harm humans. That is the logic of bigots.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    That mirrors real world bigotry. Why is there anti-semitism? People need something to hate; usually an out-group. Ben Grimm used to be a human. Rogue was only cloaked as a human until she would have the power to harm humans. That is the logic of bigots.
    Judism is a religion, and those affiliated with the ideology generally do pretty well for themselves. So, for me, that is a false equivalency.

There's never been a logical explanation for why the X-men would be discriminated against, hated, etc; in a world full of super powered beings. Why is Cyclops any more or less deserving of hate than Captain Marvel?

Judism is a religion, and those affiliated with the ideology generally do pretty well for themselves. So, for me, that is a false equivalency.

There's never been a logical explanation for why the X-men would be discriminated against, hated, etc; in a world full of super powered beings. Why is Cyclops any more or less deserving of hate than Captain Marvel?
    It's all covered in the Marvels mini. I'm not going to touch the rest of your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    It's all covered in the Marvels mini. I'm not going to touch the rest of your reply.
    This suggest to me you don't know either. Therein lies the issue with the X-men. The conflict that generates their relevancy is nonsensical in the context they exist.

This suggest to me you don't know either. Therein lies the issue with the X-men. The conflict that generates their relevancy is nonsensical in the context they exist.
    you are fully displaying why one would be bothered by mutants and not by the rest. you yourself are bothered by the mutants for illogical/irrational purposes ...

as michael watkins explained to you, bigotry very rarely sits with logic or reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Aighthomie View Post
    Basically. I don't know why it's so hard to swallow. Instead of blaming "disgruntled" X-Fans and the, apparently, rampant problem of CB store owners who are on a national trashing spree, for the failure of the Inhumans, why not blame the fans of other franchises (like the Avengers, FF, GotG, etc.) who, also, weren't here for the Inhumans? I would think that with the amount of visibility Marvel tried to give the Inhumans in the past few years, the resounding indifference from non-X-Fans is the bigger problem. It's all very...

Yup. Were X-Men fans standing outside of people's homes demanding they not watch the Inhumans show as well?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    you are fully displaying why one would be bothered by mutants and not by the rest. you yourself are bothered by the mutants for illogical/irrational purposes ...
    I'm bothered by their story not making sense. That has nothing to do with their external conflicts within the MU.

as michael watkins explained to you, bigotry very rarely sits with logic or reason.
    And, as I responded, that is a poor explanation given the MU is full of super powered beings. Do you even know why the X-men are hated?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

After how badly Marvel has handled the Inhumans in comics and TV that last 5 years it might be a good thing to just send them back to the sidelines for a few years. Give them a little breathing room and bring them back latter. The hard push Marvel gave them kinda backfired and instead of building the property up the way they handled it turned a lot of people off because it was so in your face EVERYWHERE. I have been reading comics for 35 years and I never saw as big a push as Marvel gave the Inhumans. It was not a natural way to build up the fandom, and instead was shoved into every title trying to make it happen.

Mutants are, in the MU the next step on evolution, normal humans fear that they would have the same fate the neanderthals had, or almost any species have when a new, more evolved are introduced on their ecosystem.

I'm bothered by their story not making sense. That has nothing to do with their external conflicts within the MU.

And, as I responded, that is a poor explanation given the MU is full of super powered beings. Do you even know why the X-men are hated?
    so you have a dislike of mutants .. not specific ones, but the entire collection of them... because of [x] reason ...

surely the irony isn't lost on you dictating merits of specific bigotries like anti-semitism to justify your own distaste for fictional characters?

and what does that have to do with death of inhuman anyway?

If you view them as a people who have been well know for 50 plus years then it loses the strength. People fear what is new and in the MCU Mutants in large numbers is relatively new and that scares some people. Others exploit that fear for a variety of reasons.

Does it makes sense to be afraid of Rockville and love The Thing, To fear Beast and not Tigra? probably not but there are worse gap in the shared universe.

Inhumans at this stage in the MU should have their share of nervous people..

For the comic book store owners telling customers not to buy the Inhumans comics is more or less fiction as many have already stated.

I told this theory to the manager at my LCS and he found it to be ridiculous. He explained that as a store owner of any kind telling your customers not to buy a product is taking money away from their business. If any series sells then a comic store owner would sell it no matter what their opinion on the product (unless it was something really controversial).
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Of course we know why mutants and X-Men are hated. They used to explain it for you on every splash page.

"Children of the atom. Students of Charles Xavier, MUTANTS—feared and hated by the world they have sworn to protect. These are the STRANGEST heroes of all! Stan Lee presents: The Uncanny X-Men!"

What's so hard to understand?

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aighthomie View Post
    Basically. I don't know why it's so hard to swallow. Instead of blaming "disgruntled" X-Fans and the, apparently, rampant problem of CB store owners who are on a national trashing spree, for the failure of the Inhumans, why not blame the fans of other franchises (like the Avengers, FF, GotG, etc.) who, also, weren't here for the Inhumans? I would think that with the amount of visibility Marvel tried to give the Inhumans in the past few years, the resounding indifference from non-X-Fans is the bigger problem. It's all very...

This is one of the problems with this logic though.

The comic fandom is very small and easily influenced, and you're basically pointing out that all corners of the community were against the Inhumans whether it was extremist x-fans on forums, a handful of comic book shop owners, several news websites and podcasts going out of their way to call the Inhumans scum trying to replace the X-Men etc. All of these elements exist to varying degrees but they exist. Together it constitutes a very hostile unwelcoming ground to a new franchise to grow.

You're essentially taking all of that into account, in this tiny community and saying "well if it failed its cuz people just don't like them" while ignoring where the idea the Inhumans are terrible came from and how it was pushed by various areas in comic media and comic community.

It's not a conspiracy or crazy to say when the majority of a community turns on something it struggles to do well. Happens in DC all the time. The only difference here is that DC will bin an entire universe and start again to chase fan approval, while Marvel is more stubborn and will keep trying to let the Inhumans have their chance at success.

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    For the comic book store owners telling customers not to buy the Inhumans comics is more or less fiction as many have already stated.

I told this theory to the manager at my LCS and he found it to be ridiculous. He explained that as a store owner of any kind telling your customers not to buy a product is taking money away from their business. If any series sells then a comic store owner would sell it no matter what their opinion on the product (unless it was something really controversial).
    Which highlights the stupidity and lack of tolerance these people have, especially when its people driving customers away from their business for the sake of petty fandom wars really.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Of course we know why mutants and X-Men are hated. They used to explain it for you on every splash page.

"Children of the atom. Students of Charles Xavier, MUTANTS—feared and hated by the world they have sworn to protect. These are the STRANGEST heroes of all! Stan Lee presents: The Uncanny X-Men!"

What's so hard to understand?
    It’s hard to understand why the people of the MU hate Storm but not Thor. It makes no sense, especially considering the latter is much more powerful.