Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Age of Heroes...Which titles will last the longest and which ends first?

I'm planning on giving all of them a good chance, aside from the brimstone title, not for me at all.

So far (for me):

Terrific
    The Terrifics

Really good
    Damage
    The Silencer

ok
    Sideways

The Immortal Men and the New Challengers previews looks very interesting.

Haven't seen anything on the other 2 titles really.

My guess is that The Terrifics and Damage last the longest and brimstone and the unexpected go out first.
    Last edited by CoffeeCup; 03-28-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Damage, being basically DC's take on Hulk, could tread similar waters that Marvel does with Hulk, or they could go in a different direction.

BANNED

I think putting "New" in the title of something is the kiss of death. So that one might go first.

Astonishing Member

The Terrifics is the only title that I'm trying...because it has 3 characters that I already know.

After being a DC comic fan for decades, I am beyond tired of investing myself in new characters that will only disappear onto a shelf in Limbo. So I don't.

Good luck to the Challengers.

Long lasting:
    Terrifics

Should last longer than they probably will:
    Silencer (looks good, but it seems too much like Mother Panic and Kate Spencer Manhunter, one of which is still going)
    The Unexpected (also looks good, and Marvel's not using the Defenders, unfortunately they're all new characters which brings no built-in reader base)
    Challengers of the Unknown (looks great, but DC Comics readers tend to balk at non-superhero comics. Would probably do much better if they put an Image or Dark Horse logo sticker over the DC logo)

Probably won't last:
    Damage (got flak for not being THAT Damage, and it's really just Doomsday)
    Sideways (Spider-Man type characters are a hard sell, unless they're Spider-Man)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I think that, barring the mini-séries (like New Challengers and by the way, I would like a preview for this one, I hadn't seen one yet, if it's out), all the NAoH books will last at least a year and a half, perhaps more. Those I suspect will last the longer are :

-The Terrifics (thanks to the presence of well known characters)
    -The Unexpected, Immortal Men and Sideways, because they appeared in the epilogue of Metal and will probably deal heavily with its aftermath, and all the mysteries surrounding the Dark Multiverse, the Crises and all that cosmic stuff

Those I hope will last just as long are all the others, but especially The Silencer. I really like Honor Guest as a character, so I hope she'll stick around for a long time !

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    After being a DC comic fan for decades, I am beyond tired of investing myself in new characters that will only disappear onto a shelf in Limbo. So I don't.
    Took the words out of my mouth. And as a Hawkman fan, I honestly feel they don't treat a lot of their established characters (e.g., anyone not named "Batman") much better.

What's more, when I see such a big creative push behind characters that I know will never stick around long-term, it even makes me a little bitter. I would have much rather seen DC give Kate Spencer (Manhunter) a new ongoing over any of these titles, for instance.

That said, a couple of the series do genuinely intrigue me, but I'm not paying monthly prices to try them out. I'll wait for the trades and go by word-of-mouth to figure out if the stories in and of themselves are still worth my time and money by then. Because history tells me that the characters featured here will be long since forgotten in 5 to 10 years, if not sooner.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth. And as a Hawkman fan, I honestly feel they don't treat a lot of their established characters (e.g., anyone not named "Batman") much better.

What's more, when I see such a big creative push behind characters that I know will never stick around long-term, it even makes me a little bitter. I would have much rather seen DC give Kate Spencer (Manhunter) a new ongoing over any of these titles, for instance.

That said, a couple of the series do genuinely intrigue me, but I'm not paying monthly prices to try them out. I'll wait for the trades and go by word-of-mouth to figure out if the stories in and of themselves are still worth my time and money by then. Because history tells me that the characters featured here will be long since forgotten in 5 to 10 years, if not sooner.
    I'm feeling the same. I'm a life long DC fan and reader but I am finding everything pretty stale right now. Rebirth has not really gone anywhere and I really don't care about any of this new age of heroes or dark no justice league mess. I'm honestly more excited about what Marvel is doing and coming out with this summer, and thats never happened.

The Terrifics is the only title that I'm trying...because it has 3 characters that I already know.

Same. Only picking up Terrifics which I already had some interest in based on Plas and Mr. Terrific.

Silencer has gotten some good press, so if I was going to pick up any others that would probably be the one.

Ultimate Member

And that is what folks don't get.

Folks don't want their time wasted in a hobby that eats up MONEY when it comes to certain books.