Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738 LastLast

I decree this is no longer the 616 universe. It is now the 188 universe.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I kind of hope there's a mini crossover with Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    616's origin was believed to be from the month the FF was first published June 1961. With the FF returning in August 2018, a universal number of 188 seems fitting. Plus, it would differentiate this from the pre-Secret Wars universe even though so much remained unchanged.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I never did like the 616 designation since it started in the British Marvel comics and was never really used in this country until fairly recently. To me it's always been the Marvel Universe. Some of the writers of the Marvel appendixes picked up on it to rename different Earths that were "created" in What If stories. Spider-Girl's universe is usually called the MC-2 universe.

Marvel editorial was never very fond of it. Chris Claremont is credited (or blamed!) as the one who picked up the number 616 from the British comics and used it in the X-Men a few times.

“I can tell you for sure that those of us actually working on the books virtually never use the term — and I kind of wince inside whenever I hear somebody use it. It just sounds so stupid to my ear, and so counter to the kind of mindset we try to foster in regard to the stories we create and the thinking we try to employ.” – Marvel Executive Editor, Tom Brevoort

“I never use it, I hate the term pure and simple and agree with Tom’s assessment of it. I can’t remember ever hearing it in the office and only really see it used online for the most part. I think the term really came into vogue when the Ultimate Universe came into prominence, but in my world, the language and distinctions are simple, there is the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe. Anything other than that reeks of all that DC Earth 1, Earth 2, Earth Prime stuff which I’ve never really taken to, but then again, I got into DC when they got rid of all that stuff so it was from and for a different era than my own.” – Marvel Chief Creative Officer, Joe Quesada
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-19-2018 at 06:44 AM.

616's origin was believed to be from the month the FF was first published June 1961. With the FF returning in August 2018, a universal number of 188 seems fitting. Plus, it would differentiate this from the pre-Secret Wars universe even though so much remained unchanged.
    Got it now! Thanks!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I usually call this Universe 8 based on Ewings Ultimates.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Fantastic Member

or as Brevoort calls it "Prime" universe

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I usually call this Universe 8 based on Ewings Ultimates.
    8 is not the number of the universe in Ewing’s Ultimates, it is the 8th iteration of the multiverse, so not a specification for Earth-616. Ewing used the name Prime Universe as Brevoort was the editor of the series.

As I said in the other thread, I really hope they don’t end up being aged like it looks. We have enough teenagers. The most Val should go is 8 and the most Franklin should go is 12. No more. Keep them innocent.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    As I said in the other thread, I really hope they don’t end up being aged like it looks. We have enough teenagers. The most Val should go is 8 and the most Franklin should go is 12. No more. Keep them innocent.
    I agree that Franklin being 12 and on the cusp of puberty may work best for the character and Val should definitely still be under 10, I don't want her older than Moon Girl. This still would be aging them up as Val is was a toddler and Franklin was around 8-10.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I agree that Franklin being 12 and on the cusp of puberty may work best for the character and Val should definitely still be under 10, I don't want her older than Moon Girl. This still would be aging them up as Val is was a toddler and Franklin was around 8-10.
    I could live with that. Val was never drawn like a three-year-old anyways. But they looked pretty damn old in that teaser, which worries me.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Incredible Member

Nah that's bollocks. Just something Dave Thorpe came up with, the idea that the Marvel Universe was way down the dial from DC's Earth 1 and 2. Trying to give a sense of perspective. It's self depracatory self confidence to say that Marvel is Earth 616. The closest meaning is that it's a close to the number of the beast, but it's basically the same as asking 'why 42?' Alan Moore used it a lot in the Captain Britain Omniversal Corps and Claremont, who created Captain Britain, picked it up from there - along with Sir James Jaspers, Psylocke, Meggan, Roma and the rest - Nimrod was originallly meant to be The Fury.

Hyped!
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

Hyped!
    Covers by Emad Ribic?? Sign. Me. Up.