Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supergirl

11 30.56%
  • Krypton

25 69.44%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    So you don't think Krypton will do this. Present an issue geared at a specific viewpoint and declare all others morally abhorrent. And this never happened with Superman. Didn't Superman take on the KKK?
    There's a difference between drawing a conclusion from two arguments, and writing one off as innately wrong simply for disagreeing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Wynn was the poster-boy for the beta-male nice-guy that lacked sex appeal for Kara and was used for comedic effect.
    Winn has a love interest of his own and if being comedic effect is doing wrong by male characters, then the original Jimmy Olsen should be considered offensive to men.

Mon-El is not at all like his comic book counterpart personality-wise, a complete jerk who was ok with owning slaves, and totally useless in battle.
    This I can agree.

Brainiac 5 has been in like 2 episodes and looks like a cheap ghoul.
    Blame that on budget.

J'onn is cool, but for budgetary and fear-of-making-Supergirl-look-redundant reasons, is completely sidelined and can't read minds when he needs to.
    This is always an issue with J’Onn. Especially when Kryptonians of any gender are involved.

And then there is James, who is in a class of stupidity by himself. He is physically the opposite of Jimmy Olsen.
    He was supposed to be the leading man on this show, but had zero onscreen chemistry with Melissa Benoist (whom I do think is doing a fine job most eps), and then was demoted to 2nd-rate Steel status (only he sucked at being a vigilante) in favor of the considerably whiter Mon-El.

As pointed out, they’re trying to fix this. And it isn't the show's fault Brooks and Benost have no chemistry.

The Superman complaint isn't worth taking seriously.

Mon-El is not at all like his comic book counterpart personality-wise, a complete jerk who was ok with owning slaves, and totally useless in battle.
    Mon-El was not okay with owning slaves. He found the whole practice abhorrent. He even helped Supergirl free the slaves in one episode. And when Mon-El wanted to reform Daxam and got his father
    Lar-Gand to side with him, his mother killed his father. When his mother wanted to enslave Earth, Mon-El fought against her. I can't recall a single time when Mon-El came out in support of slavery.
    Yes Mon-El started out as a jerk, but Kara changed him into a better man. He even acknowledged he was a misogynist but Kara changed him. Because that is what Supergirl does. She sees the
    better side of people and wants to help them be better people. This is the whole basis of the world killer storyline. The world killers can't be beaten so Supergirl wants to save them.

I think it really depends on what you're looking for since they are two, very different, series.

I mean, Supergirl is basically a Superhero show and a relationship drama rolled into one. It can be goofy, campy, life-affirming, inspiring, etc.

Krypton is a Game of Thrones-esque prequel show that's more about a complicated fictional society with some minor Superhero trappings.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it really depends on what you're looking for since they are two, very different, series.

I mean, Supergirl is basically a Superhero show and a relationship drama rolled into one. It can be goofy, campy, life-affirming, inspiring, etc.

Krypton is a Game of Thrones-esque prequel show that's more about a complicated fictional society with some minor Superhero trappings.
    I was sort of hoping to get more discussion comparing the two instead of just "I don't like Supergirl because of the way they treated Superman or Mon-El or Jimmy." I didn't intend the
    poll to be which show people hate the most. If I had wanted to know that I would have made the poll which show do you like more, Supergirl or Krypton. But you know how that goes.

So you don't think Krypton will do this. Present an issue geared at a specific viewpoint and declare all others morally abhorrent. And this never happened with Superman. Didn't Superman take on the KKK?

Supergirl doens't feel like a Superman show because Supergirl had an arrogant dude-bro that realized he was a jerk and made amends. Wasn't Seg-El also a hero after he got over himself?/
    It's something I'm hoping will be handled better. One specific example from Supergirl was the stupid immigration soapboxing... they undercut their own heavy handed message by making the bad guy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Yeah, the basic genres are quite different.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 04-01-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So basically Krypton feels more like the spirit of Superman because Superman would never try to raise the spirit of someone who had to make a tough choice and suffered a major loss because of it.
    That's not at all what I said.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's something I'm hoping will be handled better. One specific example from Supergirl was the stupid immigration soapboxing... they undercut their own heavy handed message by making the bad guy one.Yeah, the basic genres are quite different.
    But isn't Krypton basically saying that the rich and powerful suck and the poor and oppressed are the good guys? In effect the people on Krypton that literally live at the bottom are in effect the poor immigrants of 1880s New York City.
    How is that any less heavy handed? At least on Supergirl there are rich and powerful people who are good people, Cat Grant and Lena Luthor, and rich and powerful people who are bad people, Morgan Edge and Maxwell Lord. And even
    Maxwell Lord ended up one of the better angels.

But isn't Krypton basically saying that the rich and powerful suck and the poor and oppressed are the good guys? In effect the people on Krypton that literally live at the bottom are in effect the poor immigrants of 1880s New York City.
    Not really. The top leaders are delusional and power hungry, but not all of the Kryptonian nobility are bad guys. Jor-el for example, and he's actually not the only one. Much like in real life, the top leaders are self-interested, and care mainly about themselves. In this continuity that's the reason they chose not to leave Krypton. They care about holding power above all else. But, until the crisis of Krypton's destruction that was not a major problem. Hence why Dru-zod killed them in the movie. When the time came to act, they didn't.

So it's more a criticism of political self-interest and stagnancy.... which is where the Robin Hood story came from...

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Not really. The top leaders are delusional and power hungry, but not all of the Kryptonian nobility are bad guys. Jor-el for example, and he's actually not the only one. Much like in real life, the top leaders are self-interested, and care mainly about themselves. In this continuity that's the reason they chose not to leave Krypton. They care about holding power above all else. But, until the crisis of Krypton's destruction that was not a major problem. Hence why Dru-zod killed them in the movie. When the time came to act, they didn't.
    But that is in the movie. Not on the TV series Krypton. Jor-El and Dru-Zod don't exist on the TV series. I am just going by what is presented on the TV series Krypton.
    Another thing the Krypton TV series seems to be trying to do is present religion as being bad. There is a scary looking priest with a weird headpiece and it is implied that the religious leaders are evil.
    On Supergirl there was a story about a cult. But the cult followers weren't evil. Just misguided. And Kara herself is shown worshiping Rao with her mother. Kara also stated that growing
    up on Krypton, religion was her community. Also J'onn's father is a priest, but is depicted as kindly and wise. J'onn is also shown praying with his father. I think this is also more in the
    spirit of how Superman would view religion.

Adampk

Supergirl is Ant-Man ( definitely not wonder women thought the show tries too hard to say they are)
    and Krypton is infinity war
    You compare which is better

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I've seen a few episodes of Supergirl and I'm sad to say that the show didn't capture me. Krypton did capture me however. Its so odd. I had the exact opposite expectations. I expected to be enthralled by Supergirl and thought Krypton wasn't going to be that good at all, but boy was I wrong on both counts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I've seen a few episodes of Supergirl and I'm sad to say that the show didn't capture me. Krypton did capture me however. Its so odd. I had the exact opposite expectations. I expected to be enthralled by Supergirl and thought Krypton wasn't going to be that good at all, but boy was I wrong on both counts.

Same here, krypton is way better than I imagined it would be,I went in not giving it much of a chance,but it was "must see tv" for me

I like both, for the most part.

Supergirl is a superhero show, and I generally enjoy those (barring the whole Not Team Arrow thing earlier this season on Arrow), though it does tend to lack subtlety at times.

Krypton is not a superhero show. And, while I do like it, not real crazy about a few things they've done; like make general Zod half El. Or suddenly Seg's grandfather is still alive. In the Phantom Zone. And met Zod.

I’m so bored of the awful relationship plots in the CW shows that I’d pick Krypton even if I didn’t think it was fantastic. And Krypton is a ton of fun, great Zod, agood protagonist with Seg, And we finally get a great live action Brainiac.