Default Rumor: Leia to be recast in episode 9

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-mer...e-fisher-leia/

....with Meryl Streep, no less. However, just a rumor with a grain of salt I think.

Episode 9 was originally supposed to be Leia's movie according to original director Colin Tremorrow, in the same way Han's was 7 and Luke's was 8, and that Carrie's death largely caused a massive do-over of the script (Whether that had anything to do with Colin's eventual firing is uncertain). Maybe they're just trying to salvage part of the original story?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Fans are more than willing to accept recasts if the original actor/actress passes away.

I really think it depends on the storyline and context. It's not ideal--but to me the characters transcend the actors who portrayed them. I want Star Wars stories to be told for generations to come--and sooner or later they are going to have to recast everyone, especially if there's a remake.

I have no problem with a recast.

Mery Streep though lol, it has to be a joke.

Or they could just introduce a new character? Why isn't that being thought of?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Or they could just introduce a new character? Why isn't that being thought of?
    The mother/son Leia/Kylo Ren angle would still be unresolved.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The mother/son Leia/Kylo Ren angle would still be unresolved.
    Is it needed? He failed to kill his mom and chose apathy when she almost died. Not much left there unless they planned to turn Leia or Ben.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-mer...e-fisher-leia/

....with Meryl Streep, no less. However, just a rumor with a grain of salt I think.

Episode 9 was originally supposed to be Leia's movie according to original director Colin Tremorrow, in the same way Han's was 7 and Luke's was 8, and that Carrie's death largely caused a massive do-over of the script (Whether that had anything to do with Colin's eventual firing is uncertain). Maybe they're just trying to salvage part of the original story?
    Considering that Lucasfilm is on record as to not doing anything of the kind, they're going to get a huge backlash if they do this.

I suspect an April fool's joke that is a few days early.

ETA: also, ever since she played the most saccharine, whitewashed Maggie Thatcher ever I can't stand Streep anymore.
    Last edited by Carabas; 03-30-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

They'll court some major backlash if they do. Even though it isn't ideal, I'd take the CGI option over a recast. However, if they absolutely have to recast, rope Stevie Nicks in. She resembles Carrie.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    They'll court some major backlash if they do. Even though it isn't ideal, I'd take the CGI option over a recast. However, if they absolutely have to recast, rope Stevie Nicks in. She resembles Carrie.
    I think that if they absolutely had to do a recast, I would have Billie Lourd be Leia. She's Carrie Fisher's daughter and they could use makeup to age her up a bit. I know she was cast as one of the Resistance officers, but I think that, aside from a CGI option, recasting Billie Lourd as Leia is the scenario that would cause the least amount of backlash.

As for the rumor, itself, it's too close to April Fool's Day for me to not think that this is some sort of April Fool's joke, especially given some of the controversy surrounding Meryl Streep at the moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise E View Post
    I think that if they absolutely had to do a recast, I would have Billie Lourd be Leia.
    I somehow suspect that even the mild suggestion of this would not at all go over well with Lourd.

I'm not sure Disney is willing to catch the same flak they got over Tarkin in Rogue One.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I'm not sure Disney is willing to catch the same flak they got over Tarkin in Rogue One.
    I don't think they caught flack over Tarkin...

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think they caught flack over Tarkin...
    There was some minor grumbling, but nothing consequential.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014