The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Default New Teen Titans/Titans: the differences

Does anybody notice the difference between the New Teen Titans that Marv Wolfman wrote where Robin (Grayson) stood up to the JLA while the Titans of today just kneel down to the League when they say to disband,are you kidding me? The best thing about reading the Titans was they didn't just let the JLA walk all over them,the New Teen Titans were independent of the League & many times disagree with them. These are not the Titans I read as a kid
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The best thing about the old comics is that the JLA were hardly ever present. Now it seems they are practically regular characters.

It is REALLY sad that Dick could stand up to the JLA when he was Robin but can't manage it as Nightwing. The JLA also didn't throw their weight around. They eventually trusted their kids to handle their own problems, and would never have dared put them under house arrest (nor would the Titans have put up with it). Also helps that the old comics were featuring new characters and telling new stories instead of rehashing the same **** we'd seen already.

Extraordinary Member

You're preaching to the choir here. It frustrates me to no end how DC has chosen to degrade the Titans from what they once were. The Avengers don't boss the X-Men or Alpha Flight around. Hell, the League isn't in charge of the Doom Patrol or the Green Lantern Corps. Many of the Titans are former sidekicks (the key word being "former"), but even sidekicks have a mind of their own. That was kind of the point of the Titans back in the day. They were meant as a place for Dick, Donna, Wally, Roy, and Garth to grow out of their mentors' shadows.

That issue is when I stopped reading ...

Ya, people have noticed...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    You're preaching to the choir here. It frustrates me to no end how DC has chosen to degrade the Titans from what they once were. The Avengers don't boss the X-Men or Alpha Flight around. Hell, the League isn't in charge of the Doom Patrol or the Green Lantern Corps. Many of the Titans are former sidekicks (the key word being "former"), but even sidekicks have a mind of their own. That was kind of the point of the Titans back in the day. They were meant as a place for Dick, Donna, Wally, Roy, and Garth to grow out of their mentors' shadows.
    And now that place for them to grow has become a cage preventing them from becoming anything more.

It's a shame.

I still maintain that DC needs to divorce the NTT members from the franchise. Nostalgia reunions don't work, and that's a lesson we've been learning for twenty damn years. It should've sunk in by now. Better for the NTT to move on with their lives. They can still be friends and get together for beers. There's no reason for them to be a team anymore, and it's actually hurting the characters and the Titans brand.

Everything that can be said about Dick/Wally/Donna/etc as Titans has been said. Time to put them in new positions and see what new things can be said about them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.