Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Welp the Braves just crushed Scherzer, took him 102 pitches to get through 4 innings of work and he gave up 6 runs, in a Cy Young race this tight that might have just knocked him to third place as his ERA is up to 2.53 now, Acuna goes 4 for 5 with two singles, a double and a triple, just missed that home run for the cycle

There are reports out there today that several MLB Execs think the Phillies could land both Manny Machado and Bryce Harper in free agency this off-season. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...his-offseason/

They have less than $70 million owed in future contracts next season, so are financially in a position to spend big and land both, and Machado at least has a past positive relationship with a lot of the execs in Philadelphia's front office. Be interesting to see. It would help Phillies offensive woes, and improve their D on the infield at least.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

depends on if they play him at short or at third, word is playing at short is a requirement to sign him

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    There are reports out there today that several MLB Execs think the Phillies could land both Manny Machado and Bryce Harper in free agency this off-season. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...his-offseason/

They have less than $70 million owed in future contracts next season, so are financially in a position to spend big and land both, and Machado at least has a past positive relationship with a lot of the execs in Philadelphia's front office. Be interesting to see. It would help Phillies offensive woes, and improve their D on the infield at least.

-M
    That presupposes the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers won't show any interest in Machado and/or Harper, and that AIN'T happening. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Phillies fan and would LOVE to see those guys end up here, I just don't see it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That presupposes the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers won't show any interest in Machado and/or Harper, and that AIN'T happening. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Phillies fan and would LOVE to see those guys end up here, I just don't see it.
    I don't think the Sox will be in on either. They're not moving Boegarts and Machado won't sign if he isn't SS, and the Sox already have too many quality players for the OF/DH slot. They were over the luxury tax threshold as is this year and Price isn't opting out so they're on the hook for $36 million for him next year. Dodgers might be in, but then they might have to break the bank to keep Kershaw if he opts out, so who knows what they will have available to spend on other free agents. The Yanks are certainly the wild card on this, but again SS is blocked so Machado would have nowhere to play as their infield is set with Gregorius, Torres and Andujar for a good long while. Harper is more likely there, but Stanton and Judge fill up the corners and none of them is CF material, so that locks up DH and that means you are stuck with Sanchez catching all the time and he isn't a good defensive catcher or game caller. Yanks need 1B, CF and starting pitching. If Kershaw opts out, I can see them breaking the bank trying to sign him before either Machado or Harper. We'll have to see how it plays out, but the Phillies look like an option that has the money, a place for them to play their natural positions, and the is positioned to be in contention for a good number of years (at least the life on the contracts either will sign), and that's something that isn't try for the usual big spenders in the league who don't have places for them to play their natural positions (except maybe the Dodgers).

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Washington Nationals have been mathematically eliminated from the post season, thanks to being shut down by deGrom(who sets a Major League record with 23 consecutive quality starts, and should cement him as the Cy Young imo) while the Braves rally once again in the late innings to beat the Phillies for the second night in a row.

Braves magic number to clench the division is now at two, they could clench tomorrow afternoon

Edit: And the Braves have clenched their first NL East title since 2013, four years to the day
    Last edited by Hiromi; 09-22-2018 at 01:29 PM.

I continue to be amazed to see that the Red Sox are playing so damn well all season long. They are 1 or 2 wins away from setting a new team record.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Imagine the turmoil in Washington (the kind that has nothing to do with Donald Trump) after the Nats came into 2018 stacked with talent and expected to not only win NL East, but win going away. But, that never happened as I don’t think they even got as high as second, never mind challenged for the division, so the Nats figure to be THE biggest disappointment in baseball this season. While I don’t think this massively underachieving season will cost rookie manager Dave Martinez his job, I suspect he’ll be on the hot seat going into 2019.

It certainly does make letting Dusty Baker go look like a horrible mistake in hind sight
    Last edited by Hiromi; 09-22-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It certainly does make letting Dusty Baker go look like a horrible mistake in hind sight
    That never made so much as a lick of sense, unless the Nats felt Dusty’s message was no longer getting through to his players.

Extraordinary Member

I'm attending my first game tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Enjoy yourself, Baseball is still my favorite sport to attend live

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Who are you going to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I continue to be amazed to see that the Red Sox are playing so damn well all season long. They are 1 or 2 wins away from setting a new team record.
    They tied the team record with 105 wins on Friday. Their next win will set a new record for most wins in a season for the franchise, but they will fall short of the MLB record 116. Their next win will also clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs for them (assuming the Astros didn't lose today as the magic number was 1 going into today's games and the Sox lost to the Indians in extras).

-M

Are the 2018 Braves the 2014 Royals?