Default When is comes to Variant covers I usually.....?

When you go to grab a copy of a monthly series you regularly buy, and there are options of variant covers, what do you typically do?

Always just buy the standard newsstand cover?

Buy the standard and one of the variants so you have both?

Only buy a variant if you think its particularly good that month?

Seek out the rare variants, and are willing to pay the much higher price for them for your collection?

Never ever ever buy variants?

If the prices are the same and I like the variant better, I often will go with the variant over the regular cover if it's readily available in the store. Otherwise, I stick with the regular cover.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'll buy the variant if it's the same price as the regular cover. I'll make an exception if the price is reasonable though, like one time I liked a variant Fantastic Four cover the shop only asked $5.00 for it.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

If the artwork interests me, I download a copy from teh IntarWebs and use it as a desktop pic.

Otherwise, I ignore everything about it.

Never, ever, ever do I purchase any of them.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Once that I remember, I bought two copies of the same comic. The normal cover, and the variant cover. Not something I'd normally do on a regular basis. Don't remember which comic it was though.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    If the artwork interests me, I download a copy from teh IntarWebs and use it as a desktop pic.

Otherwise, I ignore everything about it.

Never, ever, ever do I purchase any of them.
    I must admit I too also download most of them if they are of interest to me. For example, we see this trend now where Marvel creates a variant cover to honor a comic and then it becomes the theme of variants for a lot of unrelated comics. The newest one is for the Conan relaunch. There's a Fantastic Four variant where they Conan is squaring off against the FF.

I'll buy a variant if the cover is more appealing to me and it's still the same price. I do like the DC current trend of titles being in smaller print at the bottom of a variant cover. and I've been going for those more lately. I've never bought a book due to a variant cover. I've bought the varoiant cover of a book I was going to buy anyway, but the variant has never convinced me to buy a book I wasn't going to buy a copy of in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If the prices are the same and I like the variant better, I often will go with the variant over the regular cover if it's readily available in the store. Otherwise, I stick with the regular cover.
    ^^^^ THIS 100% of the time. ^^^^
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    . . . I've never bought a book due to a variant cover. I've bought the varoiant cover of a book I was going to buy anyway, but the variant has never convinced me to buy a book I wasn't going to buy a copy of in any case.
    Some of DC's Bombshells variant covers did get me to buy a few titles I was on the fence about / considering but hadn't committed to trying yet.

Astonishing Member

I usually just buy one issue of a single comic book. (I might double dip, but that's with the TPBīs and thatīs a different matter)
    Usually I just get the copy with the standard cover, but if the variant is better that the regular cover and is at the same time in my LCS I will buy the comic book with the variant cover.
    There have even been times where the regular cover of the comic book I was buying was not available anymore and that comic book has been just available with the variant covers, so I got the variant covers in those times as well.
    Paying way more for a variant cover I have not paid but if it was a really great cover by one of my favorites artistīs i would consider getting it at a maximum of the double cover price (But it really had to be a great cover)

I will always actively look for the standard cover and get that. I have been known to grab a variant cover because I thought it was cool looking. Problem is I like the issue # and title prominently displayed on the cover, which lately isn't something you find on variants.

Not to mention my small bit of OCD that likes to see the same standard format of cover #s and titles as I flip through my issues.

Some of DC's Bombshells variant covers did get me to buy a few titles I was on the fence about / considering but hadn't committed to trying yet.
    I find the variety of books you read cool, Major.

Same

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Buy the standard and one of the variants so you have both?
    Mmm, not all the variants are good.

...like some of them but not others but as I don't buy singles in print any more it doesn't affect my purchasing decisions at all.