Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Here's something interesting that happened in Baltimore yesterday. In the bottom of the ninth with visiting Minnesota up 7-0 and one-hitting the Orioles, they put the shift on for catcher Chance Sisco who laid down a bunt to get on base, something that actually annoyed the Twins who still won the game handily. My thing is, if the Twins went out of their way to put the shift on for a batter, shouldn't the batter do all he can to beat it? Were the Twins butthurt because Sisco outsmarted them by bunting? Is NOT rolling over and playing dead when down so many runs late in games become another of baseball's stupid "unwritten rules"? For the record, I absolutely DESPISE the shift and think it's a hideous affront to the game, so I applaud Sisco for beating it. Opinions?
    If more hitters bunted and got on vs. the shift, the shift would disappear. But bunting itself is a rarity in the game and a lot of guys simply can't get a bunt down. I think it was Ted Williams who said the secret to hitting well is hitting it where they ain't. I think that applies to bunting against a shift, so I have no issue with it.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Here's something interesting that happened in Baltimore yesterday. In the bottom of the ninth with visiting Minnesota up 7-0 and one-hitting the Orioles, they put the shift on for catcher Chance Sisco who laid down a bunt to get on base, something that actually annoyed the Twins who still won the game handily. My thing is, if the Twins went out of their way to put the shift on for a batter, shouldn't the batter do all he can to beat it? Were the Twins butthurt because Sisco outsmarted them by bunting? Is NOT rolling over and playing dead when down so many runs late in games become another of baseball's stupid "unwritten rules"? For the record, I absolutely DESPISE the shift and think it's a hideous affront to the game, so I applaud Sisco for beating it. Opinions?
    ABSOLUTELY he should do everything he can to get a hit. Especially if they put the shift on.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If more hitters bunted and got on vs. the shift, the shift would disappear. But bunting itself is a rarity in the game and a lot of guys simply can't get a bunt down. I think it was Ted Williams who said the secret to hitting well is hitting it where they ain't. I think that applies to bunting against a shift, so I have no issue with it.

-M
    I personally hate the shift. It takes the fun out of watching the game sometimes.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Houston got three out of four against Texas, so I'm good. Wished it was a sweep, though.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I personally hate the shift. It takes the fun out of watching the game sometimes.
    I wouldn’t mind if MLB outlawed the shift, I mean, who would complain other than managers and maybe analytics crazed new age GM’s? Players wouldn’t complain, old timers wouldn’t complain, fans wouldn’t complain, hell, even beat writers wouldn’t complain.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Well one time through the Red Sox rotation and no starter has given up more than 1 run and all went at least 5+. Can't ask for more than that from your rotation coming out of spring training. Now granted the Rays and Marlins aren't murderer's row by any stretch of the imagination, but it's good to see them off to a strong start.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

You guys are talking about the shift like it's a new thing.

I don't have a problem with the shift, and I don't have a problem with bunting to beat it.

GOOD NEWS!! Gabe Kapler didn't wear out his bullpen against the Mets last night! WHOO-HOO! Oh, yeah, the Phils didn't play because the game had been snowed out. Let's see what new screw-ups Kapler unleashes tonight.

SSS, as we've had two days off already, but I'm liking what I'm seeing from the Mariners so far.

Losing Cruz and Zunino for a short period of time sucks butts, though. At least it's a short time. At least Cruz got hurt on accident, and not from playing.

Got a two game series against the Giants. I love that park, so I'm excited we're playing there. (Also Giants fans invade Safeco and it's awful.) They've been struggling so far, so I hope we can take both games.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    You guys are talking about the shift like it's a new thing.

I don't have a problem with the shift, and I don't have a problem with bunting to beat it.
    I know it's not a new thing, but it's starting to get very analytical. And whereas before it was executed once in a while, now it happens all the time. Left handed hitter? Put three infielders between 2nd and 1st. Right handed hitter? Put three infielders between 2nd and 3rd. Ridiculous.

The announcers for the Cubs game were talking last night about it and one of them suggested that they adapt a rule that says you can't be in the grass before the ball is hit. I think that's a great idea. You want to put the shift on? Fine. But you can't be ten feet back in the grass between 2nd and 1st.

Anyone see the Blue Jays highlights last night? Donaldson hit a home run and when he crossed home plate, he made a whistling gesture at the White Sox dugout. Apparently, one of the coaches was blowing a whistle a lot and it got on his nerves.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Twins had their Home Opener yesterday and won 4-2 over Seattle.
    But the highlight was the pregame show of an Eagle landing on the shoulder of the Mariners pitcher James Paxton.
    Dude was calm and ended up pitching a good game in a lost.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/0...pitcher-twins/
    Last edited by signalman112; 04-06-2018 at 12:15 AM.

The Phillies had their home opener yesterday and beat the Triple-A Marlins 5-0.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Twins had their Home Opener yesterday and won 4-2 over Seattle.
    But the highlight was the pregame show of an Eagle landing on the shoulder of the Mariners pitcher James Paxton.
    Dude was calm and ended up pitching a good game in a lost.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/0...pitcher-twins/
    I saw that highlight. Pretty cool.

The Phillies had their home opener yesterday and beat the Triple-A Marlins 5-0.
    Triple A Marlins. LOL!!

My Cubbies beat the Brewers 8-0. Braun stole 2nd base so I guess he thought he would simply steal 3rd as well and took off. Lester stepped off the mound and bounced a throw to Bryant who tagged Braun for an easy out, ending the inning. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    My Cubbies beat the Brewers 8-0. Braun stole 2nd base so I guess he thought he would simply steal 3rd as well and took off. Lester stepped off the mound and bounced a throw to Bryant who tagged Braun for an easy out, ending the inning. HA!
    How are the Cubs getting along without Arrieta? By the by, he makes his Phillies debut on Sunday.