Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Cubs will need to defeat the Rockies tomorrow in Chicago because they weren't able to score more than 1 run losing to the surging Brewers 3-1.
    I'm unhappy since it was avoidable except still confident they can win this elimination 1 playoffs game with Lester and the home stadium advantage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    The Cy Young Award is awarded for excellence in pitching. DeGrom demonstrated that excellence. He should not be penalized because his teammates didn't come through for him.
    Kyle Freeland 17-7. 2.85 in colorado

DeGrom's record is purely because of the lack of run support from the hapless Mets.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a751d3cbd772

His season has been historic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Kyle Freeland 17-7. 2.85 in colorado
    deGrom is substantially better than him in pretty much every statistical category save wins and that includes ERA+ the stat that supposedly factors in ballpark difficulty

Other major stats he has large leads over him include WHIP, Strikeouts, WAR, and FIP. Freeland gets points for throwing at Coors but it won't get him in the top 3 of voting

If a relief pitcher can win the Cy Young (and there have been several that have, though it's been 15 years since it has happened), then wins are not really a relevant or necessary stat for Cy Young Consideration. They can help build the case for a pitcher in some circumstances, but the lack of wins is not necessarily a case against someone's candidacy.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    deGrom is substantially better than him in pretty much every statistical category save wins and that includes ERA+ the stat that supposedly factors in ballpark difficulty

Other major stats he has large leads over him include WHIP, Strikeouts, WAR, and FIP. Freeland gets points for throwing at Coors but it won't get him in the top 3 of voting
    I'm a Mets fan and I've seen DeGrom, and he lost a lot of ballgames and may of those games he was taken out of the game. I'm sorry, when you can't finish out your games you can't complain about your record. You can't pitch 6 innings and complain about your record (although DeGrom would never complain about anything).

Meanwhile, Freeland is throwing for a team that gets in the WC and wins games. WAR for pitchers sucks. Actually, the more I learn about WAR, the more it seems to suck. Regardless the ERA+ for Freeland is very tity and he wins in Coors field which is harder than the ERA+ actually acounts for. He would be my Cy Young winner.

Cy Young got on the mound and pitched to win games and won 500+ of them. Winning is all that matters. Everything else is statistics. FIP is really a terrible means of measuring a pitcher. It is bias against pitchers like ... Phil Neikro in 1974.... and that distorts the WAR btw.

If Degrom pitch 280 innings with 12 complete games, and 4 shut outs, I would have more sympathy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    They can help build the case for a pitcher in some circumstances, but the lack of wins is not necessarily a case against someone's candidacy.

-M
    I;n my opinion, it is.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Milwaukee beat the Cubs in Wrigley yesterday to win NL Central while the Dodgers captured NL West for the sixth straight year after beating Colorado. Tonight, it's the Wild Card round, in the AL, it's Oakland versus the Yankees (TBS) while in the NL, the Cubs face Colorado (ESPN).
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

A's game is tomorrow, today is the Cubs game. Sucks for the Cubs, man, but at least its at their house.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If a relief pitcher can win the Cy Young (and there have been several that have, though it's been 15 years since it has happened), then wins are not really a relevant or necessary stat for Cy Young Consideration. They can help build the case for a pitcher in some circumstances, but the lack of wins is not necessarily a case against someone's candidacy.

-M
    it's obviously the pitcher's fault that the Rockies have scored the second most runs in the NL this year while the Met's are twelfth, and deGrom's fault that he only pitches 6.8 innings pergame(best in the MLB by the way) and doesn't live up to a ridiculously impossible standard that no one else in the league can sniff either or up to standards from when Cy Young pitched over a century ago during the middle of the deadball era
    Last edited by Hiromi; 10-02-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I;n my opinion, it is.
    Well since you don't have a vote, you're opinion is irrelevant, and those who do get to vote have demonstrated in the past that wins are not an essential component of a Cy Young candidacy. You can have any opinion you want, but it won't change the reality of the voting process.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

As long as Boston, the Yankees, nor the Dodgers make the World Series, I'll enjoy it.

Of course, if the Astros repeat, I will enjoy it a lot more.

Torn on pinch running for Rizzo, yeah you got a runner in scoring position because of the stolen base, but now you have a tie game and one of your best bats is on the bench, plus the Rockies completely misplayed that, they should have IBB’d Baez the second he stole second and/or brought in the closer

Cubs finally break through 8th no finish the job Valiant Cubs.

Gore a ex Royal now a Cub is damn impressive fast.
    He runs like he has the Super Soldier Serum.

Great job Pedro because 3 outs 0 damage now finish these Pesky Rockies.