Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Mets are 11-1... !!!!

It is still early, but I think the Haniger hype could very well be real. He had a great April last year before being sidelined for two months, and he's off to a great start this season! Really love to see how he does with a full season.

ANyway, 7-4 start for the Mariners is pretty good! Keep it up, boys!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I addressed this in a previous post. The best way to discipline a starting pitcher who engages in headhunting is to suspend him for two starts, that's nearly two weeks away given that most teams employ five man rotations.
    Also if someone is injured during a scuffle, the other player should be suspended until the injured player is cleared to play again, remember an incident where a batter charged and only got the usual 6 or so games, but the pitcher broke his collar bone when he fell and was out for over a month

Happy Jackie Robinson day!!!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Cubs-Braves at Wrigley today has been postponed due to incliment weather. With Old Man Winter refusing to exit stage right in the Midwest and Northeast (here in Philly, it was sunny and 84 yesterday, today, it’s damp and 40, the Phils are in Tampa), there seem to have been a goodly number of called games in the early going.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Twins canceled their entire weekend series due to blizzard conditions.

They should be fined for building a new stadium that didn't have a fucking roof.

Mariners lose an off day later this season to travel to Minnesota to make up a game because of snow. I think the Twins should lose an off day and have to travel to Seattle. It's not our fault their stadium sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Twins canceled their entire weekend series due to blizzard conditions.

They should be fined for building a new stadium that didn't have a fucking roof.

Mariners lose an off day later this season to travel to Minnesota to make up a game because of snow. I think the Twins should lose an off day and have to travel to Seattle. It's not our fault their stadium sucks.
    Sorry, indoor baseball or baseball played on anything but real grass is an abomination and teams who can't provide a stadium with real grass and open air should be relegated to AAA or lower as it's a bush league stadium at best.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Cubs-Braves at Wrigley today has been postponed due to incliment weather. With Old Man Winter refusing to exit stage right in the Midwest and Northeast (here in Philly, it was sunny and 84 yesterday, today, it’s damp and 40, the Phils are in Tampa), there seem to have been a goodly number of called games in the early going.
    Yeah, the weather here is awful. I'm glad they cancelled the game. They shouldn't have played the entire series. I'm all for trying to get games in the books, but not at the expense of player's health. We don't need players getting hurt.

The game last night was crazy. You could tell how bad the weather was affecting the game and the players. This happens every year and I can't understand why the league doesn't just schedule the Cubs first three weeks of games on the road. Yes, it would stink for the players and fans to do that, but they would end up with a three week homestand later on in the season to make up for it, which would be cool. That way, you avoid situations like this weekend.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Sorry, indoor baseball or baseball played on anything but real grass is an abomination and teams who can't provide a stadium with real grass and open air should be relegated to AAA or lower as it's a bush league stadium at best.

-M
    We have a retractable roof. It's not that hard.

Also I grew up in the Kingdome, so screw you!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    We have a retractable roof. It's not that hard.

Also I grew up in the Kingdome, so screw you!
    I'm sorry for you Well at least it's better than the baggie they had in Minnesota before they built the new stadium.

I grew up with Fenway, so all stadiums pale by comparison to me.

And the problem isn't the stadiums, it's that the league starts an outdoor summer game when it's still winter or winter-like early spring in most of the country. The season is too long, starts too early and last too far into the fall.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Nah, homie, The Kingdome was dope! (I do think baseball should be outside, though.)

Yes, scheduling home games in Minnesota so early is dumb dumb dumb.

I do think the season should be shortened. It'll never happen, but I think it should. Mainly for player health.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I'm sorry for you Well at least it's better than the baggie they had in Minnesota before they built the new stadium.

I grew up with Fenway, so all stadiums pale by comparison to me.

And the problem isn't the stadiums, it's that the league starts an outdoor summer game when it's still winter or winter-like early spring in most of the country. The season is too long, starts too early and last too far into the fall.

-M
    The best way to solve that problem is to fold in traditional doubleheaders, at least ten, perhaps twelve, that way, the season can start later, say the first week in May when the weather has stabilized in the Midwest and Northeast. Of course that will never happen because owners don’t want to lose revenue for as many as a dozen home dates and would fight such a change to the bitter end.

By the way, I’m watching my hometown Phillies and the announcers said six games throughout MLB were cancelled today, including in Kansas City as they desperately wanted to get the game in because the Angels were in town and Ohtani was pitching.

I saw some interesting numbers yesterday.

I mentioned Motter's hot April of his rookie year, regarding the league adjusting.

Turns out Ohtani and Motter are basically the same player at this point in their rookie years, offensively. I thought that was interesting.

My Phillies put up what I call a “CB radio score” on Tampa today, whomping the Rays 10-4 for their sixth straight win. While it’s good that the Phightins have enjoyed success early on, its come at the expense of the two win Reds and the three win Rays. Yes, I know you can only play who’s on the schedule, but I want to see what the Phils do against higher caliber teams.

From USA Today:

Major League Baseball would be better, and less vulnerable to weather, with 142-game season

Less is more. Or it would be where Major League Baseball is concerned.

The rash of postponements due to snow and cold in the Midwest and on the East Coast – 23 and counting, and the season is just 19 days old! – ought to accelerate consideration for shortening the season. Baseball isn’t meant to be played in balaclavas and parkas, and the only time fans should need a blanket at the ballpark is when there’s a movie night under the stars.

By doing away with interleague play, baseball could go to a 142-game season – and the schedule wouldn’t look all that different. The season could start April 15 and end Sept. 15, with the World Series ending by Oct. 15. There would even be room for additional off days.

I realize reducing the schedule by 20 games is something akin to heresy. The major-league season has been 162 games for 50-plus years now, the one constant as baseball has added the designated hitter, seen the Montreal Expos come and go and endured a strike that nearly brought the game to its knees.

It also will cost owners and players money, be it TV and ad revenues or ticket sales.

But the season is too long, and the game is being hurt as a result.
    The portion I highlighted illustrates why a reduction in the schedule will NEVER happen. Owners won't give up so much as one dollar of revenue while players would balk at seeing their salaries (most of which are obscene) reduced. The only other solution (at least to me) would be to add traditional doubleheaders, at least ten to twelve which could result in the season starting later, say the first week in May once the weather had stabilized, but owners won't like losing ten to twelve dates at the park and would veto that as well. Beyond having northeast and Midwest teams starting their season in warm weather states or in cities with domed stadiums, I can't think of any other way to solve the problem of weather related madness at the start of the season.

Given Manfred's persistence on "pace of play" to shorten games, I don't see double headers happening.

We got a double header last year, for a make up game. I'm a die hard baseball fan, but 6 hours is a lot of baseball. I was pretty tuned out about a third into the second game, to be honest.