Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    If I were Disney and coming off a massively successful year in terms of billion dollar franchises and hits. And on the other end of the spectrum disasters they inherited from the merger this and Dark Phoenix. I would bury this and just start fresh with my Mutants. The public at large is not checking for this film. And who can honestly believe its going to be any good with the very public pushbacks, reshoots, and now even the reports that Disney has 0 faith in it after seeing it?

Clear out the fox clunkers, recast all mutants and get to work on getting them movies and Disney+ shows imo.
    I feel bad for the cast. Mostly young actors who probably saw this as their chance to break out.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I feel bad for the cast. Mostly young actors who probably saw this as their chance to break out.
    Not so sure about that.

At least half of that cast probably got their roles in the film based on prior work that may very well wind up having a higher profile than even a moderately successful version of this film.

Never mind that at least a few of the "X" fans have reasonably legitimate "Representation..." issues with the film as it stands.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not so sure about that.

At least half of that cast probably got their roles in the film based on prior work that may very well wind up having a higher profile than even a moderately successful version of this film.

Never mind that at least a few of the "X" fans have reasonably legitimate "Representation..." issues with the film as it stands.
    Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Rasputin / Magik: - Taylor-Joy is already a established actress this won't affect her career.
    Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane: - Williams was Arya Stark. She is more famous from that than she would have been from this movie.
    Charlie Heaton as Sam Guthrie / Cannonball: - He is one of the leads from Stranger Things.

The last two are not as famous but still have been working in various TV series. I suppose these two are the representation problem. Blu Hunt is supposed to have native ancestry but you wouldn't know it from her pictures. Zaga is obviously not black.

Henry Zaga as Roberto da Costa / Sunspot:
    Blu Hunt as Danielle Moonstar / Mirage:

Blu is 1/2 native american, at that point its more about peoole going "DOES SHE LOOK LIKE A NA" rather then her actually being one. Sunspot is mixed race, you can lean either way visually. I mean you've got an actual Brazillian actor which is better then a Black actor with an accent.

I was interested simply because it was something different. But yea the trailer with no Mutants powers in it didnt really sell me. Dinsey should just quietly release it on Hulu.

iMan 42s

It's almost two years since that trailer dropped wheres the movie? And is it even good cause if that didn't come out before the merger it can't be that good to begin with.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Rasputin / Magik: - Taylor-Joy is already a established actress this won't affect her career.
    Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane: - Williams was Arya Stark. She is more famous from that than she would have been from this movie.
    Charlie Heaton as Sam Guthrie / Cannonball: - He is one of the leads from Stranger Things.

The last two are not as famous but still have been working in various TV series. I suppose these two are the representation problem. Blu Hunt is supposed to have native ancestry but you wouldn't know it from her pictures. Zaga is obviously not black.

Henry Zaga as Roberto da Costa / Sunspot:
    Blu Hunt as Danielle Moonstar / Mirage:
    Yep. That's about what I was getting at.

As for the film, I do think that it could be a completely solid version of what it is trying to do that will hold up as a film. I'm just not sure that what it is will have the same degree of support from "X" fans that some of the previous films have had. Just too many signs that this film intends on doing it's own thing versus being a more "Mainstream..." sort of "X" film.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It's almost two years since that trailer dropped wheres the movie? And is it even good cause if that didn't come out before the merger it can't be that good to begin with.
    Disney doesn't think it's good apparently. Just cross your fingers and hope they let it out on Hulu or something. And like someone said probaly scrub any Xmen referelences outside the chatacters already in the movie. But any workd building probaly get edited out.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but New Mutants was supposed to have been a superhero horror flick, but was beaten to the punch by Brightburn. I saw the trailer once and laughed out from how ridiculous it looked. Yeah, this has got direct to video written all over it. No way this sees a theatrical release.
    From the sounds of things the movie is basically a loose adaptation of the Demon Bear saga mixed with Nightmare On Elm Street Dream Warriors.

Not a bad concept and it possibly could of worked with the right approach but this film was shot quickly and on the a relatively low budget with a studio iffy on how much the horror elements should come into play. The fact the film has been sitting on the shelf so long is also never a good sign.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They'll either dump it on some streaming service or quietly shelve it but there's no way it's seeing the inside of a theater. I have no doubt that Disney wants the Fox-verse to die.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

well, based on the trailer I saw it looked kinda fun. (having recently watched 'Evil Dead' again... sometimes those low-budget movies can turn out pretty good and struggle their way into becoming cult classics)

after the snooze-fest called "Apocalypse" this was the ONLY X-related anything that I was curious to watch. although it most certainly doesn't fit with the MCU flavor established thus far. I guess it's like comparing a cola to a lite beer...

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    If I were Disney and coming off a massively successful year in terms of billion dollar franchises and hits. And on the other end of the spectrum disasters they inherited from the merger this and Dark Phoenix. I would bury this and just start fresh with my Mutants. The public at large is not checking for this film. And who can honestly believe its going to be any good with the very public pushbacks, reshoots, and now even the reports that Disney has 0 faith in it after seeing it?

Clear out the fox clunkers, recast all mutants and get to work on getting them movies and Disney+ shows imo.
    Actually, I don't think the reshoots even happened. I think Maise remarked on this recently, in that she heard there were going to be reshoots, but the actors were never called in.

I think at best this gets dumped onto Disney+ after it launches.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They'll either dump it on some streaming service or quietly shelve it but there's no way it's seeing the inside of a theater. I have no doubt that Disney wants the Fox-verse to die.
    I hope it does this, the work deserves to be seen.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Disney+ is going to need content desperately!

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I was interested simply because it was something different. But yea the trailer with no Mutants powers in it didnt really sell me. Dinsey should just quietly release it on Hulu.
    Though I didn't necessarily expect the movie to be good, I will admit that I was curious about it precisely for the reasons you mention... it was something different.

I wouldn't pay to see it in theaters unless it got at least halfway descent word of mouth, but I do 100% want to watch it at some point.

And I do think it's worthwhile to potentially explore the super hero genre in the form of a horror flick down the line, even if this attempt never amounts to anything. The super hero genre can potentially encompass a lot of things from space soap operas to westerns and everything in between. So it's good to see a few occasional attempts at going outside the box.