Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The problem with not having batman or Superman tied to the JSA is that it makes Power Girl and Huntress a bit odd as JSAers. Why do two young women "inspired" by Bruce and Clark decide to join a team of old-timers rather than the Teen Titans (or other modern team)?
    Lightning was inspired to be a heroine from her father Black Lightning, and she joined the JSA while her dad never did.
    So it can happen with Powergirl as the same. And now with future Helena Wayne.

Though it looks like PG may not have had any memories of Kal-L from her arrival in 1976 until she encountered him at the start of Infinite Crisis. Since that also predates Superman's appearance on Earth, that implies that she either had no idea where she came from or thought she was Arion's granddaughter throughout most of her history.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Though it looks like PG may not have had any memories of Kal-L from her arrival in 1976 until she encountered him at the start of Infinite Crisis. Since that also predates Superman's appearance on Earth, that implies that she either had no idea where she came from or thought she was Arion's granddaughter throughout most of her history.
    Let’s wait until this arc with Per Degaton doing time hijinks is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I'm hoping they've dropped that Arion mess for Power Girl completely by now . . . even believing she was possibly his granddaughter in the past is completely moronic and unnecessary these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    When it comes to the Justice Society of America, do you prefer them with or without the following characters (all Golden Age/Pre-COIE Earth-Two versions)?

1. Superman
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. Batman
    4. Robin
    5. Aquaman
    6. Green Arrow

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'm still fine with replacing them with other characters. Legacy is a big theme with DC.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm still fine with replacing them with other characters. Legacy is a big theme with DC.
    Well, it looks like the current status quo is that eighteen years from now, Superman and Wonder Woman will probably be in the JSA.

In terms of the 20th century JSA, we have Wonder Woman as an early joiner, Green Arrow as a member of the Seven Soldiers of Victory due to time travel (but not in the JSA, as far as I know), and the Golden Age Aquaman restored to the timeline as a separate character from Arthur Curry. That leaves Superman, Batman, and Robin who weren't around back then.

It would be interesting to transplant the Kents featured in Superman: Lois and Clark from the New 52 universe to 1976, with Clark doing his “undercover Superman” thing but nonetheless ending up interacting with the Justice Society; then rewrite the finale of Crisis on Infinite Earths from Luthor-3, Superman-2, Lois-2, and Superboy-Prime retreating to a Paradise Dimension to Alex Luthor returning the Kents to their proper time. That puts Superman back into the revival era of All-Star Comics, but avoids trying to stretch his stay in the past over 45 years.

Batman's almost certainly not doable in the 20th century; but he's also largely unneeded, as Batman was retired by the time of the All-Star Comics revival. The Huntress can (and probably will) be brought back in by means of time travel. That leaves Robin. While I suppose one could come up with a story where Dick Grayson ends up thrown through time and putting on the Robin suit again, that feels awkward at best. Instead, consider this possibility: insert a son of Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon (named after his father) into Helena Wayne's future; have him become Robin; and throw him back in time to 1976, where he joins the JSA.

That gives us everyone on the list, save only Batman; although only Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Green Arrow are around in the 1940s; Superman and Robin don't come into play until the 1976 revival.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Astonishing Member

I don't think any of them were really needed, except maybe Wonder Woman, and that's happening anyway.

I do love how Batman's history (however brief) with the JSA is being acknowledged, at least through this new Helena Wayne. And if they can find a way to acknowledge Dick's history with the JSA too, that's be wonderful.

But they're not absolutely needed.

Aquaman and Green Arrow aren't, and have never really been, JSA characters, but now we have scope for both of them to meet the JSA in the past (Aquaman because the Golden Age version is a separate character now, Green Arrow because of time-travel).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Lightning was inspired to be a heroine from her father Black Lightning, and she joined the JSA while her dad never did.
    So it can happen with Powergirl as the same. And now with future Helena Wayne.
    True.

Honestly, you don't need to be a Golden Age legacy to join the JSA.

In Power Girl's case, the simple answer could be that it's the JSA that discovered her when her rocket crashed in 1976 in Earth 0 history, and they took her in.

With Huntress, its clear that she was mentored by the JSA of the future (because they're the main superhero team of the future? because Batman becomes a member in the future? let's see...) and is being targeted by Per Degaton, a JSA enemy who seems to be aware of her Pre-Crisis life (or so I feel anyway), so her connection to the team will make sense as the story unfolds.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm hoping they've dropped that Arion mess for Power Girl completely by now . . . even believing she was possibly his granddaughter in the past is completely moronic and unnecessary these days.
    Agreed. One of a number square pegs trying to fit into round holes thanks to COIE and its aftermath.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

…maybe. But I've grown leery of dropping history, even for the noblest of reasons: there are always unintended consequences. Better to technically keep it but ignore it unless and until there's story potential in mentioning it again.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Agreed. One of a number square pegs trying to fit into round holes thanks to COIE and its aftermath.
    At the time I didn’t mind it, since DC wasn’t having a Kryptonian Supergirl either.
    But then they gave Powergirl the same bad storyline they gave Carol Danvers decades earlier with her magical weird pregnancy.
    And somehow the father was Arion, her own grandfather. WTF DC?
    Last edited by Will Evans; 11-28-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    At the time I didn’t mind it, since DC wasn’t having a Kryptonian Supergirl either.
    But then they gave Powergirl the same bad storyline they have Carol Danvers decades earlier with her magical weird pregnancy.
    And somehow the father was Ariosto, her own grandfather. WTF DC?
    Yup. That was my only issue. Nearly everything before that was ACES and tops everything that's been done she donned her binary role of either Wallpaper or crying about not being Superman character in JSA. But more that it fit who she was on a meta level. Now that Supergirl is "back" as well it just makes her even less than secondary, which is kind of a step down.

Astonishing Member

Bleeding cool leaked what Powergirl is.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Bleeding cool leaked what Powergirl is.
    Anybody have a link? (Not question ing it, just want to read it).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/welc...he-experience/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Spoilers in the preview link for this weeks issue
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/welc...he-experience/