Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Since we're just making up random heroes now, I wonder if they could do a sort of "proto" GA Superman Batman and WW. Sort of like stand in characters who have similar abilities. A Superman stand in who can't fly but can leap great distances. Give him a Gladiator type origin. A Batman who isn't based on a bat but maybe an Owl. Supposedly WW was around in this new incarnation so that might not be necessary for her.
    Assassinate Putin!

You do realize that was part of the idea behind the Young All-Stars, right? Iron Munro was a stand-in for the Golden Age Superman, Flying Fox was a stand-in for the Golden Age Batman, and Fury was a stand-in for the Golden Age Wonder Woman (including being Lyta Trevor's biological mother). And they're still in continuity, last I checked.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 11-28-2022 at 09:02 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Since we're just making up random heroes now, I wonder if they could do a sort of "proto" GA Superman Batman and WW. Sort of like stand in characters who have similar abilities. A Superman stand in who can't fly but can leap great distances. Give him a Gladiator type origin. A Batman who isn't based on a bat but maybe an Owl. Supposedly WW was around in this new incarnation so that might not be necessary for her.
    Time displaced batman, Superman, and Robin is easier

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    Time displaced batman, Superman, and Robin is easier

You can do a very interesting thing with Batman, actually: after Final Crisis, while Bruce Wayne was bouncing around time, he landed in the 1930s for a bit and ended up wearing Thomas Wayne's Batman costume:

(This is another example of Morrison rescuing a pre-Crisis element of Batman's history; specifically, a one-off story where Bruce revealed that his father had actually been the “first Batman”, having helped stop a mobster while wearing the above costume at a masquerade party.)

There would need to be a few tweaks to this story to account for the fact that Bruce's father was not, in fact, even born in 1939 in a sliding timeline; but I could see saying that he had a relative who was alive back then (say, a great-uncle), and who served as a sort of pulp fiction version of Batman operating in the 20th century: more of a private detective than a crime-fighting vigilante, who only wore the above costume once but earned some notoriety from the incident that followed him for much of his subsequent career, earning him the nickname of “the Bat-Man” among those who knew him. Later became Gotham's Police Commissioner in the 1970s, and was eventually assassinated by the gangsters he had stopped decades earlier in the masquerade party incident. This is where time-traveling Bruce comes in, as he arrives shortly after the assassination, ends up briefly in the above costume, and while wearing it brings the Bat-Man's killers to justice.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Because, if we are honoring the full history of the JSA and not just the one created in 1986, the variants would be there. Its how it was actually established.

Nobody is saying that Ted, Alan, Jay etc wouldn't be used, or that they shouldn't receive way more focus than the Trinity on Earth-2 (they should), just that the Trinity's history with the team should be intact. If for no other reason than it allows their legacies to make sense. Can anyone honestly claim Karen has benefited from not being Kal-L's cousin on Earth-2 after the JSA got moved to the main Earth?
    If we're talking about the team occupying a different Earth, I'd like to see Robin, Huntress, Power Girl etc.
    If we're talking same Earth as the JLA, then my original comment stands.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Well, it looks like the current status quo is that eighteen years from now, Superman and Wonder Woman will probably be in the JSA.

In terms of the 20th century JSA, we have Wonder Woman as an early joiner, Green Arrow as a member of the Seven Soldiers of Victory due to time travel (but not in the JSA, as far as I know), and the Golden Age Aquaman restored to the timeline as a separate character from Arthur Curry. That leaves Superman, Batman, and Robin who weren't around back then.

It would be interesting to transplant the Kents featured in Superman: Lois and Clark from the New 52 universe to 1976, with Clark doing his “undercover Superman” thing but nonetheless ending up interacting with the Justice Society; then rewrite the finale of Crisis on Infinite Earths from Luthor-3, Superman-2, Lois-2, and Superboy-Prime retreating to a Paradise Dimension to Alex Luthor returning the Kents to their proper time. That puts Superman back into the revival era of All-Star Comics, but avoids trying to stretch his stay in the past over 45 years.

Batman's almost certainly not doable in the 20th century; but he's also largely unneeded, as Batman was retired by the time of the All-Star Comics revival. The Huntress can (and probably will) be brought back in by means of time travel. That leaves Robin. While I suppose one could come up with a story where Dick Grayson ends up thrown through time and putting on the Robin suit again, that feels awkward at best. Instead, consider this possibility: insert a son of Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon (named after his father) into Helena Wayne's future; have him become Robin; and throw him back in time to 1976, where he joins the JSA.

That gives us everyone on the list, save only Batman; although only Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Green Arrow are around in the 1940s; Superman and Robin don't come into play until the 1976 revival.
    I know, I'm just stating a preference. I lean more towards the legacies and the side heroes than the big 7. So I don't mind retconning in a few replacements or giving other characters the leg up.

Honestly I'm surprised Robinson didn't use Iron Munro or Flying Fox in Earth 2.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-29-2022 at 05:31 PM.

I'm not. Why use a proxy when you can use the original? Iron Munro exists specifically because Superman didn't. But Superman did exist on Robinson's Earth 2.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I'm not. Why use a proxy when you can use the original? Iron Munro exists specifically because Superman didn't. But Superman did exist on Robinson's Earth 2.
    I felt DC played favorites too much with the new 52 so I would've preferred a diplomatic approach. I like Batman but I don't need him in everything.

Robinson's Earth 2 had a passing off the torch theme so Irun Monroe and Flying Fox fit that approach.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-30-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I felt DC played favorites too much with the new 52 so I would've preferred a diplomatic approach. I like Batman but I don't need him in everything.

Robinson's Earth 2 had a passing off the torch theme so Irun Monroe and Flying Fox fit that approach.
    I dropped Earth 2 as soon as members of the Trinity returned in whatever way they did. They already had near a dozen books between them, I didn't need to read more of them. I was there for the JSA characters, such as they were. Turns out that was the right decision. That also coincided with the start of Taylor's run.

I really don't want Superman and Batman in the JSA. Leave the JSA to be about its own characters. Wonder Woman is a trickier case, but I'd prefer she be left behind too. We've got enough women now to the point where she's no longer needed. Acknowledge her history with the team, sure, but keep it in the past.

Extraordinary Member

Should the Spectre be a member of the modern Justice Society?
    If not, is it because he’s too over powered?

This is a team with Dr Fate and the Thunderbolt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    When it comes to the Justice Society of America, do you prefer them with or without the following characters (all Golden Age/Pre-COIE Earth-Two versions)?

1. Superman
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. Batman
    4. Robin
    5. Aquaman
    6. Green Arrow

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Without. 8910

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

I do prefer no Spectre for that very reason. It's hard enough balancing a team with GL, Dr Fate and the Thunderbolt. Adding the Spectre just throws things into the realm of the ridiculous. I don't mind him as an occasional guest star, but in my opinion he's simply too overpowered to be a team member. Any fight simply means he gets taken out first in increasingly awkward ways, as we saw happen to GL after Johns left.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I do prefer no Spectre for that very reason. It's hard enough balancing a team with GL, Dr Fate and the Thunderbolt. Adding the Spectre just throws things into the realm of the ridiculous. I don't mind him as an occasional guest star, but in my opinion he's simply too overpowered to be a team member. Any fight simply means he gets taken out first in increasingly awkward ways, as we saw happen to GL after Johns left.
    LOL
    Spectre Rolls for agility and rolls a 1 on his check.
    Spectre trips over his cloak/cape and bangs his head, fails his next agility check and bangs his head and gets knocked out...
    *Rolls a D20 for number of turns and hits a natural 20*
    Spectre is for all intents and purposes, out of this fight...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

I liked the Gotham by Midnight take on Spectre. It had shades of Bruce and Hulk in how Jim Corrigan tried to use the Spectre. Making him an uneasy ally is a better way to go but I don't mind replacing him with Ragman or Etrigan.

Extraordinary Member

I’m interested how they’re going to present The Secret (from Young Justice) as a Spectre sidekick in Stargirl: The Lost Children