Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Retired

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin—that’s where all the fun is. Not that the JSA really needs them—with the exception of Diana who was vital to the team—but the crazy cool thing was their counterpart nature opposite the JLA. That was what made me love the concept.

It’s all about the heads.

Green Arrow was a Seventh Soldier. And Aquaman stayed away from everyone except Hot Lips Lois Lane.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Pass on all.
    Like mentioned earlier, why fill the roster with variants of the same characters in JLA??
    Use Jay Garrick, Ted Grant, Alan Scott etc. otherwise, what the hell is the point??
    Because, if we are honoring the full history of the JSA and not just the one created in 1986, the variants would be there. Its how it was actually established.

Nobody is saying that Ted, Alan, Jay etc wouldn't be used, or that they shouldn't receive way more focus than the Trinity on Earth-2 (they should), just that the Trinity's history with the team should be intact. If for no other reason than it allows their legacies to make sense. Can anyone honestly claim Karen has benefited from not being Kal-L's cousin on Earth-2 after the JSA got moved to the main Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    WONDER WOMAN=NUBIA of EARTH 2=YES
    BATMAN=DICK GRAYSON=YES
    SUPERMAN=VAL ZOD=YES
    Hell, if you throw that crap at us, you might as well resurrect the Earth 2: Society title.
    I like the idea of Nubia on Earth 2, but I don't want her being the replacement Wonder Woman. And Earth-2's Dick Grayson had a well-established history as an adult "Robin" with the JSA, so he doesn't need the "Batman" identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How are they drastically different?
    They're Kal-El of Krypton, who is a newspaper reporter in his spare time, traumatised orphan and playboy millionaire Bruce Wayne, and Diana of Themyscira, Amazon princess.

It'd be as if the Earth 2 Flash and Green Lantern were Barry Allen and Hal Jordan in really old-fashioned outfits.
    The characters themselves aren't dramatically different, but their state of life is, or should be. Clark is Clark, but he's lived and been Superman for decades, having had a life with Lois for years. Diana may have a different role within her home island, but it's still her. She may also have daughter she's raised. Bruce, well, Bruce could be dead.

DC has presented these ideas in other forms, with Superdad and Batman Beyond. It's obvious that JSA on Earth 2 wouldn't be the only place to get these stories and characters, but that's their appeal to me, anyway. What happens after decades of superheroing.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Pass on all.
    Like mentioned earlier, why fill the roster with variants of the same characters in JLA??
    Use Jay Garrick, Ted Grant, Alan Scott etc. otherwise, what the hell is the point??
    Because, if we are honoring the full history of the JSA and not just the one created in 1986, the variants would be there. Its how it was actually established.

Nobody is saying that Ted, Alan, Jay etc wouldn't be used, or that they shouldn't receive way more focus than the Trinity on Earth-2 (they should), just that the Trinity's history with the team should be intact.
    And it's not that they'd be "fill[ing] the roster with variants of the same characters in JLA"; Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were all active with the JSA prior to there even being a JLA.

In fact, when the Justice League first appeared in 1960, Superman and Batman weren't active members (in deference to their "honorary member" status back in the days of the JSA).

BANNED

This comic isn't set on Earth 2. It's on our Earth. And putting Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in JSA looks like "We can't sell a comic without one of those three in it."

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    This comic isn't set on Earth 2. It's on our Earth. And putting Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in JSA looks like "We can't sell a comic without one of those three in it."
    We don't know that yet when it comes to what DC will do with the JSA.
    We don't even know if the Justice Society will definitely return; if the Justice Society will eventually get their own comic book; if the Justice Society will be on the same Earth as the majority of DC's present-day stories or be on an alternate Earth; in fact, we don't even know if DC has figured any of that out yet or not!
    We can guess/speculate what might eventually happen, but we really don't know anything yet about what DC is going to do when it comes to the JSA. (If I'm incorrect on any of that, please state the specific comic book issues where anything has been clearly spelled out in writing as to what will happen.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    We don't know that yet when it comes to what DC will do with the JSA.
    We don't even know if the Justice Society will definitely return; if the Justice Society will eventually get their own comic book; if the Justice Society will be on the same Earth as the majority of DC's present-day stories or be on an alternate Earth; in fact, we don't even know if DC has figured any of that out yet or not!
    We can guess/speculate what might eventually happen, but we really don't know anything yet about what DC is going to do when it comes to the JSA. (If I'm incorrect on any of that, please state the specific comic book issues where anything has been clearly spelled out in writing as to what will happen.)
    Stop it. We ARE getting a JSA comic. And not another Earth 2 comic.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-jsa-le...heroes-series/

Stop it. We ARE getting a JSA comic. And not another Earth 2 comic.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-jsa-le...heroes-series/
    Didn't you notice the title of that article?
    DiDio All But Confirms JSA, Legion of Super-Heroes Series On the Way
    As far as anything DiDio says regarding what may happen in an eventual future, I don't believe it until we have a scheduled date and I see the printed copy released.
    Until then, a lot can happen between now and what actually takes place.

Also,
    . . ,. “That’s one of the cases there. With a lot of this stuff, it’s interesting with characters like Shazam, and you know what, there’s a couple of books that constantly come up, Shazam, Legion of Super-Heroes and Justice Society of America. A couple of those are actually tied to an event story that’s taking place right now, and hopefully we’ll be able to come out of that in a way that gives it a lift, and hopefully brings new attention and new eyes to those books so they can live a long, healthy life.”
    Where does DiDio exactly say
    We ARE getting a JSA comic. And not another Earth 2 comic.
    What exact words did he use to say those two things?

Retired

I never saw the point in reviving the JSA if they aren’t going to be the original 1940s team. Hardly any of us lived in the “Golden Age.” Even Roy Thomas was just a small child. So this is our chance to travel through time and enjoy that atmosphere. Why throw away the core and keep only the husk?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hell, if you throw that crap at us, you might as well resurrect the Earth 2: Society title.
    I like the idea of Nubia on Earth 2, but I don't want her being the replacement Wonder Woman. And Earth-2's Dick Grayson had a well-established history as an adult "Robin" with the JSA, so he doesn't need the "Batman" identity.
    Thank you for this. Agree entirely.

And it's another argument for JSA on Earth-Two. Earth-Two was a place where Dick Grayson could grow up to be an adult Robin and did. That's just one of the liberties that an Earth-Two affords.

Agree too about Earth-2. I've recently starting trying to read it again because I dropped it so early and just want to know about it. But I do NOT want any of the New 52 E-2 characters mixed up with the real JSA. That whole series was one of the greatest missteps of New 52, replacing characters that are rich because they are classic with new takes on them. That's counter-intuitive. JSA is special because they were first and for their rich history. E-2 was the opposite of everything that was special about the JSA.

I understand that people have their favorite characters but I don't believe any E-2 character or any classically Earth One character belongs on JSA. There are so many characters already--more than they can use probably--but history is the foundation of JSA and it comes with a font of characters. Don't need extra ones, especially to the exclusion of Golden/Silver/Bronze Age members including the legacies in the now-classic Johns run on "main earth." My faves are:

1. Earth Two Robin and Huntress
    2. Original Golden Age lineup
    3. The great legacies Johns added.

If they're on the same Earth, I say they shouldn't be included in the JSA. (Maybe a fun time-travel/paradox could be created if the Trinity visited the JSA in the past, but that'd ruin an opportunity to relaunch some classic characters that I'd like to see return, like a few in Infinity Inc.)

If a separate Earth 2 is created for the JSA and Golden Age characters, I say include them. It's clear that there's *some* consistency in birthing Trinity duplicates across the Multiverse, and Dark Multiverse now for that matter. If this is the case, I'd make some retcons and include some characters from the recent Earth 2 title (like the Marella as Aquawoman, the Earth 2 Hawkgirl design, etc.) and other Prime Earth duplicate characters like Kathy Kane (Batwoman) and Bette Kane (Bat-Girl) as members of the JSA or All-Star Squadron too. Really have fun with all the Golden Age characters and bring them ALL back with their villains and kids on a new Earth 2.

Without. DC has so many Golden Age characters in their ranks that have barely been touched that, if they need somebody to fill the historical positions of the characters mentioned (and don't want to create brand new characters, a la most of the Young All-Stars), they can just pull from that. For example:

Superman - Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett)
    Batman - Mister Scarlet
    Wonder Woman - Ms. America
    Robin - Pinky
    Aquaman - Red Torpedo
    Green Arrow - Golden Arrow

EDIT: Assuming we're talking about one earth with one history, of course.

I'd love to see a few new titles spin out of a new Earth 2 concept.

I'd love to read a team title that was Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt), Doctor Mid-Nite, Black Canary, Phantom Lady, Batwoman (Kathy Kane), Bat-Girl (Bette Kane), and Wildcat.

Pit them against Sportsmaster, Tigress, Artemis, etc.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-31-2018 at 12:34 PM.

BANNED

The huge majority of people who are going to buy this comic are not intimately familiar with the Golden Age and don't particularly want it to be re-created in detail.

What's important for this comic is product positioning. Alan and Jay are different enough from their modern counterparts, but if you put Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman in a JSA title too, then the comic will look and feel too much like the Justice League.

Keep the personnel in the Justice League and the Justice Society different, visually and otherwise.