Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If they're on their own Earth, then that version of the Trinity should be around for the big world events. It's silly not having them there, frankly. For the "small" stuff, however, they can sit them out.
    Exactly. If the world is ripping apart and the lives of thousands are at stake, they're there.

If Vandal Savage is up to some shannagins, the JSA can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Some folks seem to think this comic will be set on Earth 2 instead of here.

If that's true, then what's going to happen to that "other" Justice Society?

No way that will happen. The "other" Justice Society will be left alone over there on Earth 2.
    I can't speak to any of that.

All I know is that, so far, DC hasn't made it clear what, IF ANYTHING, has been decided on regarding a future return somewhere/somewhen of a "Justice Society", so nothing can definitely be ruled out yet.

1-4: as reserve members
    5-6: no, as their GA versions weren't distinct enough from their Silver Age versions and they weren't already associated with them.

I'd rather see Crimson Avenger, Midnight, Phantom Lady, Tarantula and Captain Marvel (Shazam) join instead.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    5-6: no, as their GA versions weren't distinct enough from their Silver Age versions and they weren't already associated with them.
    Yes. My knowledge of Golden Age lore is limited, but were there any meaningful distinctions between the Earth-Two Aquaman and Green Arrow and their Earth-One counterparts? I only seem to know that the Golden Age Aquaman wore yellow gloves instead of the more familiar green ones of the Earth-One version, but that's about it.

Makes me wonder if Earth-Two Oliver Queen cooked chili or held left-of-center political convictions.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member

Would be a twist to have an Earth 2 Ollie that is the political opposite of Earth 1 Ollie. But have it as part of his personality, not the focus of his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Makes me wonder if Earth-Two Oliver Queen cooked chili or held left-of-center political convictions.

IMO, the entire Seven Soldiers of Victory were pretty much all left-leaning. Crimson Avenger ran a progressive newspaper. He and Vigilante both had Asian sidekicks. With two kids on the team (Speedy and StarSpangledKid), they certainly could have provided a left viewpoint, even if only in comparison to the forties.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Would be a twist to have an Earth 2 Ollie that is the political opposite of Earth 1 Ollie. But have it as part of his personality, not the focus of his personality.
    I wouldn't mind that myself.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yes. My knowledge of Golden Age lore is limited, but were there any meaningful distinctions between the Earth-Two Aquaman and Green Arrow and their Earth-One counterparts? I only seem to know that the Golden Age Aquaman wore yellow gloves instead of the more familiar green ones of the Earth-One version, but that's about it.

From what I've come across (which may be stuff added after the Silver Age retroactively) the main difference was that Earth-One Aquaman was naturally a water-breather desended from a still existing Atlantis, his Earth-Two counterpart was the son of normal humans whse father found a long-dead Atlantean civilization and used it's science to make his son a water breather. My guess would be that outside of the origin issue there would be nothing that really made the Golden Age Aquaman recognizably different in-any of the published stories. But someone like Roy Thomas could have built on what was there to make him somewhat distinct.

And I think the origin tale again is the only difference between the Green Arrows. Earth-One has the familiar castaway origin and met Speedy later. Earth-Two has Oliver Queen pursuing archeological thieves who he defeats with Roy's help in the mountains as the first Green Arrow adventure. There was something with the hair colors (Speedy on Earth-Two as blond but GA wasn't). But like Aquaman I doubt there were any developments that would make a reprinted golden age story incompatible with the familiar Earth-One/Prime-Earth Ollie.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 03-31-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    From what I've come across (which may be stuff added after the Silver Age retroactively) the main difference was that Earth-One Aquaman was naturally a water-breather desended from a still existing Atlantis, his Earth-Two counterpart was the son of normal humans whse father found a long-dead Atlantean civilization and used it's science to make his son a water breather. My guess would be that outside of the origin issue there would be nothing that really made the Golden Age Aquaman recognizably different in-any of the published stories. But someone like Roy Thomas could have built on what was there to make him somewhat distinct.
    Also didn't Earth-One Aquaman have golden gloves?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Also didn't Earth-One Aquaman have golden gloves?
    I think so, but I never read the stories just different articles on the character history that mentioned the original set-up before pointing out how the revamped Silver-Age origin became the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    "Superman" isn't really something Clark would/could retire from. It is who he is, what he is, and who he will be. He's also not a business man, not even slightly.
    Which is why I'd do it. You couldn't get away with it anywhere else, which means this is a kind of dynamic we'd never see otherwise. I think basing the character on the original Golden Age stories, where Clark wasn't as fully formed, gives you some latitude with his personality you don't usually see, and the added benefit of his long life can be used to bend those parameters a little further. Plus its not the main continuity, so you can get away with more. If readers accepted Clark abandoning earth in Kingdom Come, they'd accept him as the boss of a news company, actively and passionately chasing down the same problems he's always chased down.

It could be as simple as Lois dying of old age, and Clark deciding to continue her war for truth, using her tools (with his scope and ability). By this point there'd be plenty of superheroes in the world; they wouldn't need Superman for the day-to-day stuff anymore. Karen would be in her prime and more than capable of filling his boots. And nothing says he couldn't put the cape on when he had to either. A Crisis hits, and Clark is out the window in a blur. Solomon Grundy is attacking the park? Karen can handle that while Clark topples the corrupt Bialyan government under a mountain of damning exposes and evidence, collected by an army of idealistic journalists unified under Clark's control. Batman Inc., built from the skeleton of a newspaper.

It might not be what Clark would do under normal circumstances. But this isn't normal circumstances. It's an alternate reality where Clark's been active since 1938. If you can't do something different with it, what's the point of using him?

Plus this keeps him around, which is always good for DC, but forces him into a role where you *have* to focus on other characters like Jay, Allan, and whoever else is making up the JSA at that point.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-31-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Which is why I'd do it. You couldn't get away with it anywhere else, which means this is a kind of dynamic we'd never see otherwise. I think basing the character on the original Golden Age stories, where Clark wasn't as fully formed, gives you some latitude with his personality you don't usually see, and the added benefit of his long life can be used to bend those parameters a little further. Plus its not the main continuity, so you can get away with more. If readers accepted Clark abandoning earth in Kingdom Come, they'd accept him as the boss of a news company, actively and passionately chasing down the same problems he's always chased down.

It could be as simple as Lois dying of old age, and Clark deciding to continue her war for truth, using her tools (with his scope and ability). By this point there'd be plenty of superheroes in the world; they wouldn't need Superman for the day-to-day stuff anymore. Karen would be in her prime and more than capable of filling his boots. And nothing says he couldn't put the cape on when he had to either. A Crisis hits, and Clark is out the window in a blur. Solomon Grundy is attacking the park? Karen can handle that while Clark topples the corrupt Bialyan government under a mountain of damning exposes and evidence, collected by an army of idealistic journalists unified under Clark's control. Batman Inc., built from the skeleton of a newspaper.

It might not be what Clark would do under normal circumstances. But this isn't normal circumstances. It's an alternate reality where Clark's been active since 1938. If you can't do something different with it, what's the point of using him?

Plus this keeps him around, which is always good for DC, but forces him into a role where you *have* to focus on other characters like Jay, Allan, and whoever else is making up the JSA at that point.
    I'd agree with this for the most part.

I can't picture a still-in-his-prime Superman with all the major threats retring from the role. But an older Superman who is still powerful but no longer taking down major threats before breakfast? I can see him bowing out of the day-to-day fights. The Metro-PD can handle most ordinary crimes without needing a bulletproof muscleman there. Unless there are a dozen supervillains loose in Metropolis all Superman does is make Kara feel redundant as a hero by stealing her spotlight. When the chips are down he's always going to pitch in, but he no longer has to be the first line of defense.

And if the JSA are mostly dealing with threats as a team, it just might be that the threats aren't as plentiful. Picture a world where Batman sits by the red phone waiting for Commissioner Gordon to call because it's been weeks since a crimewave. The Joker and Riddler are dead or retired themselves and no one came along willing to go toe-to-toe with batman for more than maybe two outings before deciding to get out of the villain biz. The JSA are basically there because the only threats left are either big time ones requiring a whole team or gangs that require you to be in multiple places at once. Jay isn't battling the Shade in Keystone anymore unless it's part of a coordinated attack with a dozen partners in Gotham, Civic City, Opal ...

And when Clark as reporter/editor/publisher can do as much (if not more) good with articles as Superman does with his powers...
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 03-31-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Mighty Member

I always respected history but it's something I can truly do without. I don't even want them in the same universe as the Justice League because they don't serve any purpose.

Earth Two Aquaman wasn't a King nor was there a Poseidonis, Aurania & Venturia were Atlantean Kingdoms associated Wonder Woman, Zatara destroyed two separate Atlantis Realms, Batman and Robin also visited another in the Empire Of The Atlantean Sun where Robin/Dick Grayson was either related too or a eerily close doppleganger in the Emperor who is posed as to save Batman and stop Nazi invaders.

From my experience the roster don't really matter as much as the creative people on the book.