All-New Member

Default Help with picking a Gaming Laptop

I recently put in for a $2500 loan for a gaming laptop but I’m unsure of what exactly to get or what I need.

My budget is around $1500. I don’t mind going over a bit and paying less is obviously a plus for me.

I’m not really tech savvy.

I’m not sure if I need one with an i7-9750H or if a i7-8750H is all i need?
    Should I look at HP Omens or MSI or What, and Where to buy, Online or In store?

If online should I go Walmart or Amazon or go straight to HP, I would prefer a physical store but I’m pretty sure that the ones around me wouldn’t have anything I’m looking at in stock.

I really want something that can play Battletech 2018, Dawn of War 2, and the upcoming Mechwarrior 5.
    Hopefully without going over budget.

Can someone with expertise help me out?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The 2019 version of the Acer Helios is within your budget.
    https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000K-00...4aAlKmEALw_wcB

You want an aesthetic that's more low profile you should into Lenovo Legion series of laptops.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=6348800

The 1660ti on both of those should be adequate for the games you want to play.

Best Buy has these laptops listed on their site but you should call you local store to see if have them in stock there. They tend to reserve enthusiast level hardware as online only items. If you a micro center in your area you should definitely check to see if they have them there.
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 10-01-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Any reason that it has to be a laptop?

$2500 is way overkill for DoW2 or Battletech. You're not going to need an i7-anything for those games.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/s...gaming-laptops
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 10-02-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Eh I'll be that guy, the advise is simple, don't, if you're going over 2 grand get a desktop. You're simply going to get more return on your money, and actual high end gaming laptops barely qualify as laptops, they're heavy, loud, and put off incredible amounts of heat to the point that they may as well be more expensive desktops anyway.

https://pcpartpicker.com/
    Last edited by Hiromi; 10-01-2020 at 11:31 PM.

This thread is quite useful for me, as I am also looking to buy a gaming laptop. I am looking for a laptop that would allow me to play the likes of Half-Life Alyx and Star Wars Squadrons (VR). I am not interested in a desktop due to space and portability. What do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    This thread is quite useful for me, as I am also looking to buy a gaming laptop. I am looking for a laptop that would allow me to play the likes of Half-Life Alyx and Star Wars Squadrons (VR). I am not interested in a desktop due to space and portability. What do you recommend?
    Desktops don't need to be huge. Mini ITX size PCs are rising in popularity. Something like the Corsair One and NZXT H1 are small form factor desktops.

But if your deadset on a laptop look at the asus zephyrus g14

2500 bucks? Duuuude, you're killing me.

You can build 2 or 3 good pc with that kind of money if you buy all the parts. (no, it's really not complicated to build it)

All-New Member

Who spends 1500 on a laptop that’s meant for games? Except if this laptop will help you earn some cash, spending 1500 on it is wayy too much. I know you’ve already made your decision (since the thread is a bit old) and probably bought the laptop within that range, but I hope you didn’t do that. In fact, most of the games I play are all these online free games. Only games that don’t require in-app purchases, that’s my category.
    Last edited by Freshlyfrank; 12-02-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshlyfrank View Post
    Who spends 1500 on a laptop that’s meant for games? Except if this laptop will help you earn some cash, spending 1500 on it is wayy too much. I know you’ve already made your decision (since the thread is a bit old) and probably bought the laptop within that range, but I hope you didn’t do that
    I've spent $2500 on a desktop just to play games. Need all the frames and graphical bells and whistles.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I've spent $2500 on a desktop just to play games. Need all the frames and graphical bells and whistles.
    Tbh, you really tried. It’s not something easy to do. I can’t do that even if I can afford it