Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

Well duh. They cared because they had grown to care about Xavier in a bunch of movies over a period of almost 20 years.
    Don’t you mean 6 years? That wasn’t the same Xavier from the original trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Same can be said about the First Class characters.
    X-MEN Apocalypse was called X-MEN Apocalypse and major part of the ad campaign which got backlash was showing Mystique being chocked by Apocalypse and also Xavier being body slammed by Apocalypse was there any buzz before that film about OMG is someone going to die? Havok did die did anyone care?

Compare that to all the speculation around if Rhodes would survive Civil War or now with Vision, Iron Man, and Cap their chances for survival and people worries and also the responses to deaths like Groot and Yondu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    X-MEN Apocalypse was called X-MEN Apocalypse and major part of the ad campaign which got backlash was showing Mystique being chocked by Apocalypse and also Xavier being body slammed by Apocalypse was there any buzz before that film about OMG is someone going to die? Havok did die did anyone care?

Compare that to all the speculation around if Rhodes would survive Civil War or now with Vision, Iron Man, and Cap their chances for survival and people worries and also the responses to deaths like Groot and Yondu.
    Well duh, there was no suspense with Apocalypse thanks to the ending of DOFP.

BANNED

No, I don't mean 6 years.
    In the eyes of a good 99% of the audience it was the exact same guy from the first X-Men movie. And even with the sort-of reset I don't see how it was not the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No, I don't mean 6 years.
    In the eyes of a good 99% of the audience it was the exact same guy from the first X-Men movie. And even with the sort-of reset I don't see how it was not the same guy.
    For the same reason why Jean in Dark Phoenix is not the same Jean from the original trilogy.

BANNED

For the same reason why Jean in Dark Phoenix is not the same Jean from the original trilogy.
    People see an obvious difference in looks and attitude, personality, everything really, between Famke Jansen and Sophie Turner. But even then people are clever enough to realise that two decades of real time requiresthe recasting ofa character that is supposed to be a teenager?
    They see absolutely no difference between Patrick Stewart and Patrick Stewart playing the exact same character.

And really, how is timeline 1 Xavier in any way at all not the same guy as timeline 2 Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Being better than X3 is not a f@#$%^g achievement.
    lol
    Dude, people did care when Xavier died in Logan.
    I cared when it ended...gah that movie sucked
    GrindrStone(D)

Well duh, there was no suspense with Apocalypse thanks to the ending of DOFP.
    Mystique's fate is open ended we never saw her in the new timeline in DOFP and she was the one being choked in the ad campaign and was in two previous installments and it caused no speculation or buzz out of the wrong kind because of the imagery of a woman being choked. Now this isn't a bashing of Fox they did a fine job with Deadpool and creating emotional attachments but the X-MEN team films especially the newer ones seem to have a harder time resonating on that level.

I think most people see them as the same character since A.) Stewart played him (so it really did feel like the same character), B.) since both the OT Xavier and "new" one both branched off from the First Class version, there's some continuity there, C.) there's the meta aspect (as we're seeing Stewart's swan song for a role that we knew him in for a long time).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    My experiences are usually people think it was a great performance by Stewart in Logan even Oscar worthy and thought it was sad but didn't have an emotional response it was more of a detached reaction with some even seeing it as a mercy killing given his condition and the danger he posed with only the fact it was X-24 being the execution being the tragedy that it would had been more impactful if Logan himself had to commit the act because of the danger Xavier now imposed. Also the fact a younger version of Xavier would be popping up again. Logan's death was different because one he just finally accepted his daughter and two HJ was leaving and there was the feeling of finality to his version and possibly any version forma while with Laura possibly taking the mantle for a while.
    My experience with people is the movie had an emotional response, the entire movie was a emotional response. They cried when both Xavier and Logan died. It would never have been impactful if Logan himself committed the act because Logan was going to die himself. It already happened in X-Men 3, Logan killing Jean to know emotional response. There was no detached reaction in Logan. it was tearjerking. Xavier lived a long and flawed life, to see him go out like that was painful to watch in a good sense. In a twist of faith, the Logan he was trying to help and change, it turned out he was no different. The younger Xavier is not completely tied to Stewart's Xavier, Logan is meant to take place in a possible future. There was hardly anybody that watched Logan and was thinking of young Xavier in the 60s. Logan feels more of a continuation of X-Men 3 than the prequel movies in a different timeline. Stewart gave a brilliant performance in the role that was Oscar worthy. All three actors including Hugh Jackman and Dafeen Keen were much deserving of Oscars. Those type of performances are usually rare in comic book movies.
    Last edited by Tarantino; 04-01-2018 at 09:12 AM.

It was to soon for a Dark Phoenix Saga imo. It needed one more film to who Jean as a "Phoenix hero".

It was one of the greatest X-Men story in the books, but so far, the movie adaptations are lacking its very essence.
    I will keep an open mind anyway, and will give my opinion after the movie is released. We have time.
    - I love Wolverine. Really.
    - Yeah ? Which one ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellinoze View Post
    It was to soon for a Dark Phoenix Saga imo. It needed one more film to who Jean as a "Phoenix hero".
    And before that one more film with Jean in a major role that doesn't even slightly hint at Phoenixy shenanigans.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The problem with this way of looking at it is:

1) Those original movies were a LONG time ago, considering the ages involved of typical audiences for these films

2) Even people who saw them aren't necessarily going to think of it the way you are or connect all those dots psychologically
    Well, that's the point. So because the original movies are, retread the same ground? I doubt this movie is going to be anything like X3, but its the same basic premise. Producers and creators really need to let go of the 80s as if anything not written by Claremont isn't worth the trouble. There are tons of great storylines they could have used before going here again. It's like getting Spiderman's origin twice within ten years. I can think of at least 4 stories that would translate better than this;

X-tinction Agenda
    X-cutioner's Song/ AoA (use X-Song to set it up, not Legion Quest. Perhaps lean more on what inspired it in "One Man's Worth")
    Fatal Attractions
    The Phalanx Covenant
    Operation Zero Tolerance (the comic wasn't great, but the premise is solid)

Get through two of these and then lead into Dark Phoenix, it gives the actors time to grow (Sophie reminds me more of Hope, than a Jean), and the audience to give a darn about the characters. I think this team of X-Men is too young to be putting them through the Dark Phoenix story. There's nothing invested. Escalate the action and the stakes. Dark Phoenix is supposed to be emotional and tragic. I'm sorry, but Apocalypse didn't make me care one hoot about anyone on this team, especially Jean. Heck, they can even do Inferno as their "Avengers" combining the current X-Men with New Mutants. There's so much more to do than Dark Phoenix. Not sure why they think 2.0 was necessary.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I think this team of X-Men is too young to be putting them through the Dark Phoenix story.
    Jean was 24 in Dark Phoenix. Sophie is 21.

There's nothing invested. Escalate the action and the stakes. Dark Phoenix is supposed to be emotional and tragic. I'm sorry, but Apocalypse didn't make me care one hoot about anyone on this team, especially Jean.
    Don’t you mean First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, and Logan didn’t make you care one hoot about anyone on this team?

Did you forget that Xavier, Mystique, Magneto, and Beast were in this movie? Apocalypse was not their first and only appearance.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Jean was 24 in Dark Phoenix. Sophie is 21.

Don’t you mean First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, and Logan didn’t make you care one hoot about anyone on this team?

Did you forget that Xavier, Mystique, Magneto, and Beast were in this movie? Apocalypse was not their first and only appearance.
    she looks 16. Jean should be more developed and realized before inserting the character into the DP storyline IMO.

I'm talking about the new additions in Cyclops, Jean, Nightcrawler, and Storm, obviously. And no, I don't care about Mystique. Not even a little bit, despite how hard they try to make me.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.