Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What was your Favorite Spider-Man era?

I first started getting into Spidey in the mid 80s when I was a kid. I remember the days when each title had its own separate feel to it. I collected Spidey pretty heavily throughout my teens and early twenties and ultimately stopped with the last part of OMD, so I was a huge fan for 20 years or so. IMO, I loved the era from the mid 80s til right before the Clone Saga.

What’s everyone else’s?

Good question.

I think it would be an era that occurred before I was born: the Lee/ Romita college era that sometimes pops up in flashbacks and untold tales (Spider-Man: Blue, Negative Exposure, Death & Destiny)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Up until Slott's Spider-Man, my favorite Spider-Man era was Stern's run.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I only know the Straczynski era and Slott era of Spiderman. Straczynski didn't always capture me with his story and I absolutely dislike Romita Jr's art. I know there were a lot of other contributing writers, but Slott has been the architect of my Spiderman.

Early 2000s, when Ultimate was being written (albeit I didn't start reading comics until years after the fact).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

1988-92.
    McFarlane/Larsen/Bagley were my golden years.

Masterworks line helped me get into Ditko and Romita (along with renting the VHS tapes with the `67 cartoons).

BANNED

Without question 2001-2009

You had Spider-Girl, Ultimate, JMS, Mark Miller, a hungry Slott contributing to the BND team, and The Real Clone Saga. Plenty of choice and quality art/stories, plus the best years of the Spider-Marriage prior to and even after OMD (due to the choices available)

Toss in the mid to late 80s with Stern, DeFalco, Micheline and DeMatties too.

Stan and Steve's era gets an honorable mention as I read that growing up also.

The current decade hasn't been so bad thanks to the daily strip and RYV, but it still feels like something's missing.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-31-2018 at 12:05 PM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I liked the 70s when Peter was like a young adult and in college best (basically late 100s to mid 200s for ASM; not sure what the numbering of the satellite titles was like). Other than that, I'd say Big Time.

BANNED

I started SM in the 1989 and fell off the wagon in 2000's after experiencing a career crisis and thinking that Batman was a better role model for me. I'd say for all books published 89-'97. I hope that they are collected again, I really miss that Peter!

Astonishing Member

As a longtime Spider-Man comics reader i have found that every era have great Spider-Man stories.
    So this is a bit of a tricky question to me,but consistently the series was the best during the Stan Lee/Steve Dikto/John Romita Sr era.

Love the early to late 90's. The death of Harry, to the Clone Saga, and Maximum Carnage. Lot of great art and Stories.

Easy for me: the mid-1980’s were the golden era of Spidey for me. The Stern and DeFalco runs on ASM, the Mantlo and Peter David runs on PP:SSM and the last days of MTU and early issues of Web.

Good question, but hard to peg down. Spider-Man/Peter Parker is a property that's evolved over 50+ years. Arguably we've seen him "grow" throughout the decades and there are numerous aspects we can appreciate.

My favorite version is a married Peter Parker, that takes his responsibility as a married man seriously, but also takes to web-slinging. MJ isn't written as a harpy, but they're written as a team. My favorites eras of this run are by JM DeMatteis & JMS.

I heavily enjoy Peter being written as an "in-between 20 something," where he's finding his footing in the world - Roger Stern, Tom Defalco, & Conway come to mind.

Then NO ONE captured the awkwardness of Peter Parker's teenage years better than Ditko. While I love JR SR's Peter Parker visuals, JR SR drew Peter almost like a handsome romantic lead. I absolutely dig Ditko's stiffness, insect like qualities he brought to Spider-Man.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

The JMS run at least until JRJ left the book. Althougth i think that the 80s were better.

BANNED

Stern's run beginning with ASM 238 and the Hobgoblin...got me back into comics after a couple year layoff...combined with Peter Parker Spectacular Spiderman with Spidey and the Black Cat together....man those were good times...