Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Post What do you think about "Everyone loves Ivy" story arc?

Well, as says the title, what do you tink about this? I've read mixed reviews from websites but fans reviews are very bad.
    What is your opinion and why?

I thought it was alright. It fits for what they've been trying to do with Ivy in recent years.

She had noble intentions, but went about them all wrong. And in Harley's comic series, she's been, at worst, an anti-hero and a pillar for Harley in it. So if that series is a future of the current run of comics, it makes sense that something would lead up to that.

Bruce and Selina both saw it as a situation not meant to be solved with fists (especially after Ivy had Superman hit Bruce a bit too hard), but with reason and compassion. And found out that Ivy was not responsible for the deaths of those men in the War of Jokes and Riddles.

I liked it. I thought it was a very interesting idea. I am wondering if she kept the knowledge of Batman's identity.

It was okay. Just last year, Scott Snyder wrote a much more sophisticated story with a sympathetic Ivy seeking redemption in All-Star Batman #7, and this arc pales in comparison despite being 3 issues long whereas the other one was just a single issue. Gail Simone's Batgirl Annual #2 which also introduced the idea of Ivy suffering from mental trauma was a more fascinating read too.

On the plus side for Everyone Loves Ivy, the art is gorgeous and I'm excited to see what plans King has for Ivy and his Sanctuary concept in the future, which are set up in the last issue.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-31-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Didn’t like the end. Ivy should be seen as a villain. So should Harley.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I thought it was pretty good but not great.

I do like the way they are keeping Ivy and Harley out of the simplistic villain mode. Both characters work better as anti-heroes or conflicted protagonists than villains. I particularly like how Ivy can have generally positive goals and still be at odds with the rest of the DCU.

Amazing Member

I hate this arc. The premise to some extent is interesting but it should have been longer and all this catastrophe had an annoying solution killed the climax of the story. It's like the writer didn't take his own story seriously and the dialogue was awful. Ivy is one of my favorite villains but she couldn't have a story as a villain with some heart instead they changed reality to make her a lost kid THOUGHT she had killed some few men ONCE. I can't even put on words how disgusted I am. The execution was bad honestly.

It was awful. It had bad dialogue and plenty of stupid moments.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

I'm still confused how Ivy's powers got to strong individuals, like Superman and Wonder Woman.

I wondered if other individuals with plant powers were influence as well, like Swamp Thing.

Sort of off-topic question, and I apologize, but has Catwoman ever meet Swamp Thing?

The anger in response to it was more entertaining than the actual story. I don’t like how Ivy and Harley are basically given a “Get out of Jail Free” card whenever they do something bad. Ivy mind controlled the entire world yet faced no repercussions whatsoever.

I liked it. It was entertaining, had good art and some really clever moments. It wasn't perfect and I feel that it was unnecessary to reboot Ivy killing those men in The War of Jokes and Riddles though, but I like where her arc is headed. I'm eager to see how King plans to deal with Sanctuary, since it's mentioned at the end of the arc and he has said a few things about the concept behind in at least one interview that I'm aware of
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    The anger in response to it was more entertaining than the actual story. I don’t like how Ivy and Harley are basically given a “Get out of Jail Free” card whenever they do something bad. Ivy mind controlled the entire world yet faced no repercussions whatsoever.
    To be fair, that's been true for all three Sirens for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    I might be missing something here but I thought sanctuary was a sort of meta human prison for reform. This is the first I've heard about it though so I'm not sure.

I hated it. But that may be too harsh because I was comparing it to the Ivy Issue of All Star Batman which I thought was Spectacular. But again it feels to me that King’s best work is in 1-2 issue stories

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I might be missing something here but I thought sanctuary was a sort of meta human prison for reform. This is the first I've heard about it though so I'm not sure.
    No, King has described Sanctuary as a "crisis centre" for superheroes suffering from PTSD and other mental traumas caused by their risky line of work.

Ivy is an unusual choice to be the first person to be admitted there but I guess it means King wants to definitively redeem and reform her.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-03-2018 at 09:26 PM.