Spectacular Member

Default My problem with the current Nightwing book.

One of the problems I have with the current series, which has nothing at all to do with the actual writing is the fact that since this run began it has been made clear that this is not in any way the same Dick as the pre Flashpoint one. What I liked was that during Higgins' run there were vague mentions to his time as Bayman that allowed us to. Relieve that the Dixon era actually could have still happened. Now we have Superman acknowledging Dick's character difference, we have Dick going to Bludhaven for the first time and a Blockbuster that is new but the same. By the new narrative it's impossible to imagine all of Nightwing's history as cannon including his time as Batman. Does anyone else struggle with this?

It is suppose to be the same Dick, his history was just affected by Flashpoint like everyone else’s was.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    One of the problems I have with the current series, which has nothing at all to do with the actual writing is the fact that since this run began it has been made clear that this is not in any way the same Dick as the pre Flashpoint one. What I liked was that during Higgins' run there were vague mentions to his time as Bayman that allowed us to. Relieve that the Dixon era actually could have still happened. Now we have Superman acknowledging Dick's character difference, we have Dick going to Bludhaven for the first time and a Blockbuster that is new but the same. By the new narrative it's impossible to imagine all of Nightwing's history as cannon including his time as Batman. Does anyone else struggle with this?
    No... because when they wrote the 5 years ago back story in New 52 as early as issue #3 I just assume it's different, so I've been viewing them as different characters from the beginning. Especially after comparing DickBats and Higgins Nightwing where there's a clear age and experience gap.

What felt off for me reading New 52 was Dick in the back story and the present doesn't match up. He's more mature and closer to Bruce than he's supposed to be in only 5 years.

So because all of that I was never under the impression that they're supposed to be the same character. Even if the writers write them the same because they've been writing him since before Flashpoint, the origin, timeline, age and experience that don't match up dispel the illusion.

The current run only erased Dixon's era. He's still Batman.
    479865._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-02-2018 at 04:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It is suppose to be the same Dick, his history was just affected by Flashpoint like everyone else’s was.
    If Dick's history was affected by Flashpoint, I think he should be Dr. Fate.

Dick as Dr Fate would be awesome since Kent is always old and the others can’t carry a book but someone will bring up Batman and then Dick is returned to Nightwing

Dick as Dr Fate reminds me of Doc Fate from Multiversity.