Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Claremont should have given some focus to male characters instead of just having them hold up the background constantly. I've got no objection to creating strong female characters, but there was no balance. He had certain writing "tics" like "Hullo" that got on my nerves, too. I hope he never comes back.
    How so? He gave male characters plenty of focus too. Magneto and Wolverine are the most obvious examples but he also did great with Cyclops, Xavier, Colossus and so on. The balance was on point.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Or, maybe, he just thought it would make for a better story.

Does every twist in a story really have to have nefarious motives behind it from the evil, egomaniacal writers?
    No I supposed not. Though I heard if this is true Claremont had a bad habit of making Storm a little too powerful at times to the point he would make up powers for her on the spot.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Ah I don't think Claremont fully understood the implications of what he was getting into when he signed up for the job of working in the comic book industry. Because writing comics especially Big Two comics is not the same as writing a six book novel series where endings are definite for the most part. And how is his idea of development the equivalent of kudzu?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KudzuPlot (TV Tropes warning) - while I believe some of the examples, such as Onslaught, came after he left, Claremont was notorious for planting seeds that would never come to fruition, particularly when the superstar artist became the focus point over the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KudzuPlot (TV Tropes warning) - while I believe some of the examples, such as Onslaught, came after he left, Claremont was notorious for planting seeds that would never come to fruition, particularly when the superstar artist became the focus point over the writer.
    Ah so he planted plot threads that would never be picked up until it was too late and the stories themselves were incomprehensible. That's not very good did he believe that he would always be the writer of the X-Men because they aren't his property.

BANNED

No I supposed not. Though I heard if this is true Claremont had a bad habit of making Storm a little too powerful at times to the point he would make up powers for her on the spot.
    More like a LOT too powerful.
    But that is related to any of this how?

BANNED

'Cause WOMEN of the...

https://www.deviantart.com/art/X-WOMEN-265755163

... and their seemingly matriarchal, almost Amazonian nature...

https://blueshadowtalon.deviantart.c...omen-689971613

... ARE:

Or as close as one can come, IMO... in EVERY way! 8D
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 04-12-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Fantastic Member

Ah so he planted plot threads that would never be picked up until it was too late and the stories themselves were incomprehensible. That's not very good did he believe that he would always be the writer of the X-Men because they aren't his property.
    His 16 year run is pretty much unprecedented. It's hard to fault him, isn't it? He loved these characters. He defined most of them. He got to evolve them for over a decade before editorial started really limiting him

I never had trouble following along, to be honest...

BANNED

'Cause the X-Men, ironically enough, are Marvel's premier, ruling...

... SORORITY...

... to the Avengers' testosterone-laden, frolicking FRATERNITY, lol.

More like a LOT too powerful.
    But that is related to any of this how?
    Just wondering whether Claremont was actually playing favourites when he did his run that's all.

BANNED

Just wondering whether Claremont was actually playing favourites when he did his run that's all.
    He retired most of the old guard and played with his creations and favorite characters... He didn't even wanted x factor to be published... Of course he's, and he's still salty because Jean returned

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    How so? He gave male characters plenty of focus too. Magneto and Wolverine are the most obvious examples but he also did great with Cyclops, Xavier, Colossus and so on. The balance was on point.
    His Kurt is perfection. When women are used taking a back seat and all of a sudden are being portrayed as being equal or even more powerful than men then cries of men not getting enough focus come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    His 16 year run is pretty much unprecedented. It's hard to fault him, isn't it? He loved these characters. He defined most of them. He got to evolve them for over a decade before editorial started really limiting him

I never had trouble following along, to be honest...
    Well that depends were you following Claremon't run from the very beginning because it give you a certain advantage over those who haven't. What did editorial do to limit him anyway?

His only creation at the time was Kitty Pryde. Len Wein and Dave Cockrum created Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Storm etcetera.
    But they had only one issue of stories prior to Claremont(two in case of Wolverine). Those characters were pretty much blank slates. He didn't create them, but he gave them most of their backstories and personalities. They were his characters for all intent and purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    He retired most of the old guard and played with his creations and favorite characters... He didn't even wanted x factor to be published... Of course he's, and he's still salty because Jean returned
    But Claremont didn't create most of the X-Men only Kitty Pryde and Sage I believe. But he still did a good job with the old guard though I wonder whether that had more to do with him wanting stories with meaning in them instead of resetting thing back to status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    But they had only one issue of stories prior to Claremont(two in case of Wolverine). Those characters were pretty much blank slates. He didn't create them, but he gave them most of their backstories and personalities. They were his characters for all intent and purposes.
    Unfortunately it led to a nasty shock when Shooter in his own cavalier way reminded Claremont that they weren't his property particularly with the Dark Phoenix Saga and X-Factor.