Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    But he didn't get to do it because Jim Shooter vetoed the idea instead letting Jean perform penance for her actions. Anyway it sounds like Claremont got a little big headed with how much power he had over the X-Men franchise. But did he want to retire Jean and Scott because of storytelling purposes or was it so that he can focus more on his own creations?
    I say the latter. It's just that he didn't let his personal bias show in his stories, at least for some time. After DPS and X-Factor...

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I say the latter. It's just that he didn't let his personal bias show in his stories, at least for some time. After DPS and X-Factor...
    Even if he retired Jean and Scott he would still be writing a lot of characters that weren't his creation like Wolverine, Professor Xavier, Beast, Angel, and Iceman would he retire them too? And what happened in X-Factor anyway?
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-03-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

He got rid of Xavier, beast, angel and iceman... Also check X factor by Louise simonson, easily one of the best Jean and cyclops stories...

Finally... X women are style and substance

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    He got rid of Xavier, beast, angel and iceman... Also check X factor by Louise simonson, easily one of the best Jean and cyclops stories...

I tell you Claremont really let his ego get to him if he did all that and I'll think about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post

Claremont should have given some focus to male characters instead of just having them hold up the background constantly. I've got no objection to creating strong female characters, but there was no balance. He had certain writing "tics" like "Hullo" that got on my nerves, too. I hope he never comes back.

BANNED

But he didn't get to do it because Jim Shooter vetoed the idea instead letting Jean perform penance for her actions. Anyway it sounds like Claremont got a little big headed with how much power he had over the X-Men franchise. But did he want to retire Jean and Scott because of storytelling purposes or was it so that he can focus more on his own creations?
    His only creation at the time was Kitty Pryde. Len Wein and Dave Cockrum created Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Storm etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    His only creation at the time was Kitty Pryde. Len Wein and Dave Cockrum created Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Storm etcetera.
    Somehow I suspected that he might not have created many of the X-Men. So what then it was a matter of focusing on the X-Men he favoured? That's still a sign of big headedness and playing favourites.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-03-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Fantastic Member

he got rid of Xavier, but not without giving him some great moments (and it isn't like the original series didn't have to get rid of Prof. X from time to time). He used Beast & Angel. Clearly he helped turn Wolverine into the fan favorite he became (with John Byrne's nudging, sure). He wanted the series to grow, to evolve. For characters to graduate and be able to move on from the Institute. He wanted character growth. Unfortunately, he became a victim of his own success, and the dreaded Stasis Quo mentality locked his run in amber.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    he got rid of Xavier, but not without giving him some great moments (and it isn't like the original series didn't have to get rid of Prof. X from time to time). He used Beast & Angel. Clearly he helped turn Wolverine into the fan favorite he became (with John Byrne's nudging, sure). He wanted the series to grow, to evolve. For characters to graduate and be able to move on from the Institute. He wanted character growth. Unfortunately, he became a victim of his own success, and the dreaded Stasis Quo mentality locked his run in amber.
    Well that puts things into a different perspective how exactly did Claremont become a victim of his own success? And you know that one thing I can agree with Claremont for the characters to grow beyond the Institute. And to this day he remains sore about how the X-Men and comic books are in general.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Claremont should have given some focus to male characters instead of just having them hold up the background constantly. I've got no objection to creating strong female characters, but there was no balance. He had certain writing "tics" like "Hullo" that got on my nerves, too. I hope he never comes back.
    Yeah that can be a problem when someone who pretty much worships strong female characters can bring when they write stories with no balance.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    They were designed and created by a master story teller and drawn by some of the most influential artists at a time when comics were vastly more read than they are now...

If Chris Claremont had been on the Avengers or just writing the street level Heroes, I think the same thing would have happened there imo.
    This is exactly right. Though I think the element Claremont also needed was time, and a hands-off editorial that let him roam. But there's no doubt it's his writing and wonderfully strong characterisations that defined the X-Women as formidable characters, and not shrinking violets. They held their own just as well as, and usually better than, their male counterparts.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    the males got all the focus prior to Claremont being brought on. Cyclops was described as the strongest xmen for up to 60 or so issues, with magneto and professor x also being shown as the world's most powerful mutant. that said, I think when you look at each character abilities he Claremont did s nice job of realistically balancing their strengths and weaknesses.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Fantastic Member

Well that puts things into a different perspective how exactly did Claremont become a victim of his own success? And you know that one thing I can agree with Claremont for the characters to grow beyond the Institute. And to this day he remains sore about how the X-Men and comic books are in general.
    Claremont seems to never want to look backwards... once something is settled - like Jean being dead - then going back on that would be retreading old ground, stifling growth.

granted some of his growth was the comic equivalent of kudzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    Claremont seems to never want to look backwards... once something is settled - like Jean being dead - then going back on that would be retreading old ground, stifling growth.

granted some of his growth was the comic equivalent of kudzu.
    Ah I don't think Claremont fully understood the implications of what he was getting into when he signed up for the job of working in the comic book industry. Because writing comics especially Big Two comics is not the same as writing a six book novel series where endings are definite for the most part. And how is his idea of development the equivalent of kudzu?

BANNED

Somehow I suspected that he might not have created many of the X-Men. So what then it was a matter of focusing on the X-Men he favoured? That's still a sign of big headedness and playing favourites.
    Or, maybe, he just thought it would make for a better story.

Does every twist in a story really have to have nefarious motives behind it from the evil, egomaniacal writers?