Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

TBH, I think the X-guys:

... are pretty eXceptional, too. (Irks me that Sunfire got shafted AGAIN, tho - grrr!)

Also, think this:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    ... women... being portrayed as being... even more powerful than men...
    ... NEEDED to be done, so the mostly younger, male audience, could perceive them...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    ... as being equal...
    ... or standing crotch to balls with the boys, as I've heard it so crudely put, and havin' worth. Look at how many of the Mutant females can fly, for instance, in comparison to their mostly land-bound brethren.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Just wondering whether Claremont was actually playing favourites when he did his run that's all.
    That is what every writer ever does... so probably, yes.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That is what every writer ever does... so probably, yes.
    Objective writing is clearly non-existent in the Big Two at this point. And if Claremont gave Storm powers on the spot that's kind of proof that he was playing favourites among the X-Men.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Objective writing is clearly non-existent in the Big Two at this point. And if Claremont gave Storm powers on the spot that's kind of proof that he was playing favourites among the X-Men.
    Everyone plays favourites. What matters is how much they let it show.

Fantastic Member

Objective writing? He doesn't write news articles. He's a storyteller, of course it's all subjective. And obviously he is going to like some characters more than others but I think he treated them all with much respect, even the minor supporting characters.

BANNED

Objective writing in fiction is non-existent, period.

Also, Claremont is utterly and completely allowed to play favourites. It is not a morally wrong thing to do as a writer.

Objective writing in fiction is non-existent, period.

Also, Claremont is utterly and completely allowed to play favourites. It is not a morally wrong thing to do as a writer.
    It's not but when you elevate one character over the rest especially in a team book why even bother to include all these exciting and interesting characters if they're going to basically do nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    Objective writing? He doesn't write news articles. He's a storyteller, of course it's all subjective. And obviously he is going to like some characters more than others but I think he treated them all with much respect, even the minor supporting characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Everyone plays favourites. What matters is how much they let it show.
    Objective writing can be done in fiction mainly by simply putting some distance between yourself and your creations. Some writers have such a strong attachment to their characters to the point it can get crazy and it shows in very broad strokes. These characters can get hailed as wonderful and great even when they haven't really done anything to earn the praise. And they make the rest of the other characters look unimportant to point of making them wallpaper in fact some writers don't even allow their characters to undergo change when they should because they love them too much that they treat them like spoiled children.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-04-2018 at 02:38 AM.

BANNED

It's not but when you elevate one character over the rest especially in a team book why even bother to include all these exciting and interesting characters if they're going to basically do nothing?
    You're going to have to go in way greater detail as to why that is morally wrong. Or any other kind of wrong.

BANNED

Claremont grafted and reapplied powers on characters all the time. Storm was hardly unique in that, he was doing it constantly to both men and women (Magneto, Jean, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Kitty, Dani, Rogue, Magik, Rachel, Psylocke, Forge, Callisto, Gambit, Jubilee, Sage, Bishop, Sage, etc, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Claremont grafted and reapplied powers on characters all the time. Storm was hardly unique in that, he was doing it constantly to both men and women (Magneto, Jean, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Kitty, Dani, Rogue, Magik, Rachel, Psylocke, Forge, Callisto, Gambit, Jubilee, Sage, Bishop, Sage, etc, etc).
    Sure made for some weird plotting I guess when a character suddenly can do this or that when he or she couldn't even do it in the first place.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-04-2018 at 03:54 AM.

You're going to have to go in way greater detail as to why that is morally wrong. Or any other kind of wrong.
    There is such a thing as integrity even in writing though to be frank it is a little loss even to me. But here goes when you write a team book like the X-Men or the Justice League it's important that you work out how to make sure that everyone has a role to play. Other wise the book might as well just be about only two characters. Some folks or at least one I know frowned on the X-Men movies for giving Wolverine too many of the good parts in the movies some times even treating the rest of the team like a ladder to success.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-04-2018 at 04:05 AM.

BANNED

Sure made for some weird plotting I guess when a character suddenly can do this or that when he or she couldn't even do it in the first place.
    I dunno. Some of us enjoy unexpected mutations.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    I dunno. Some of us enjoy unexpected mutations.
    Well it's not for everyone I guess but if it's well executed and enjoyable I guess it should be fine.

BANNED

There is such a thing as integrity even in writing though to be frank it is a little loss even to me. But here goes when you write a team book like the X-Men or the Justice League it's important that you work out how to make sure that everyone has a role to play.
    And Claremont did that as far as I can tell.
    You however do not have to give significant roles to characters you have removed from the book because you don't think they're very interesting.