Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How fast is Green Lantern?

The ring allows them to travel from one space sector to another within minutes.

Shouldn't he/they be as fast as The Flash? They should be able to appear anywhere they want in the blink of an eye by just thinking about it, but their speed is never discussed.

BANNED

Green Lanterns travel through transdimensional space which allows them to travel to different space sectors quickly. No one is faster than Flash.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Is it a well-established given that they can teleport and whatnot? I've seen it pop up here and there but it doesn't seem to be consistently emphasized.

Incredible Member

I just figured their rings can fold space or create wormholes

Spectacular Member AimToTheStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The ring allows them to travel from one space sector to another within minutes.

Shouldn't he/they be as fast as The Flash? They should be able to appear anywhere they want in the blink of an eye by just thinking about it, but their speed is never discussed.
    If you read Hal's N Pals #28 you know how fast Hal is.
    Last edited by AimToTheStar; 04-02-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    ''There were other women, of course. But none of them mattered. Not like her. She was the one.'' -Hal Jordan.

The latest issue of Justice League explains it pretty good

Incredible Member

Green Lanterns can move faster than light given they can move from planet to planet with ring flight. Yes, they can open wormholes and teleport like boom tubes but they usually fly from one place to another. These are some real world times on how long it takes just to get to Mars:

Viking 1 (1976) – 335 days
    Viking 2 (1976) – 360 days
    Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (2006) – 210 days
    Phoenix Lander (2008) – 295 days
    Curiosity Lander (2012) – 253 days

Green Lanterns can get to Mars in minutes. The only reason characters like Superman and Green Lantern don't move that fast is usually because moving the speed of light in an atmosphere like Earth would have catastrophic results. Speedsters can get away with that stuff because of handwaves like the Speed Force.

I believe it was back when Guy Gardner had a yellow ring, but he teamed with a Green Lantern and they tried to capture a ship. Which sped away from them. The Green Lantern made the comment, "The ring will let me go as fast as I can imagine." To which Guy's response was, "Well that ship can go faster than we can imagine."

Perhaps they imagine the flash moving faster than they can.

Also realize, that is flying speed, in comparison to Flash/ Superman races, where Superman runs that fast. Flash is also considered to be thinking fast, while Green Lantern is only moving fast.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

This is all over the place: however, either Tomasi or Bedard (Someone) established in GLC that they'd enter trans-luminal space (essentially, warp-speed) for cross planet travel.

That said, any Flash could technically slap any lantern in the face one million times before they could form the thought to summon up a shield.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Is it a well-established given that they can teleport and whatnot? I've seen it pop up here and there but it doesn't seem to be consistently emphasized.
    The Indigo Tribe can teleport, other rings (Green rings at least) enter some sort of hyperspace.

It's been said that they can use wormholes to travel through space.

Pretty fast.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    It's been said that they can use wormholes to travel through space.
    I see it more as a hyperspace in Star Wars, or the Bifrost in the MCU Thor films. Plug in a destination and you're fast-tracked there, bypassing planets, ships and various other bodies, beings or entities between points A and B. We've seen Lanterns hold conversations while in transit, so if it is wormholes it's not like Stargate wormholes where transit is instantaneous. Stargate wormholes can be affected by cosmic phenomena like solar flares (which leads to time travel), so it'd be interesting if ring enabled transport can be interfered with or intercepted.

There don't seem to be many limitations on where Lantern rings can transport users, at least in terms of distance. Getting from the fringe of the galaxy to the middle of it doesn't seem to faze the characters, just as long as the journey doesn't go through the Vega system. At the end of Lights Out the Indigo Tribe transported the Green Lantern Corps from the Source Wall to Mogo (John has employed Natromo's help in setting up a Central Battery on Mogo as Oa had just been destroyed, so Mogo's location could be nearer to the Source Wall). The Animated Series does introduce a big limitation, in that even at their fastest speed a Lantern would still take months to reach the Frontier, and even when the supercharged Interceptor makes the journey in a few minutes it needs a while to restore that capability.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Pretty fast.

Man, I love that scene.

"Sounds like a dare!"

WB should have an animated movie based on that scene alone.

The Lanterns are a strange breed...they can do anything they can imagine, but seem to neglect to imagine all sorts of things.

Several things are immensely useful in fights...not least speed. If you or I were a lantern, we’d probably find it easy to imagine using the speed force to give us as much speed as needed...and allegedly the speed force is scientific...it’s not magic or mystical, it shouldn’t play favourites.

Green Lanterns...if we take “DC science” seriously should be at least as fast as the Flash.