Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Dragon Age 2
    One of the best and most ambitious games Bioware ever made. And easily the best Dragon Age game.

Def Jam Icon.

The Def Jam games would have kept going if it wasn't for Def Jam Icon.

Out of the Uncharted series, probably Uncharted 3. While it's got some good moments with Nathan and Sully (especially since Sully sat out most of 2), the rest of the plot is kind of a mess and too focused on set pieces that use a bit too much QTE.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Final Fantasy XIII and XV. I personally like both, but they're not regarded too kindly by the fanbase.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Devil May Cry 2

Mortal Kombat Armageddon

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

Okay, I get the points about Arkham Knight now.

That said, with some of these posts I'm wondering if some folks are conflating 'black sheep' with 'worst'? I know that's often the case, but the term refers more to being unusual than awful. I mean, I brought up Lost Planet 3 and I think that's a pretty solid game (mechanically unremarkable but elevated by shockingly strong narrative) that definitely isn't the worst of its series (that would be Lost Planet 1).

Oh, easy free suggestion: Yakuza: Dead Souls. The Yakuza game that's actually a zombie shooter. I reacted to it poorly on my first run-through but a second go made my estimations increase dramatically. The A-story isn't worth much but the follow-up on Ryuji Goda's tale since Yakuza 2 is smartly done, and it's the only Yakuza game where the crafting system is worthwhile.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Extraordinary Member

Super Mario Sunshine
    Zelda 2 + the CDI games (all 4 are legit bad)
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    Final Fantasy 13
    Paper Mario Sticker Star
    Metroid Prime Federation Force and Other M
    Bioshock 2 (actually a great game, but nowhere near as well regarded as the other 2 in the series. a lot of the games I'm listing are actually good despite the hate)
    Star Fox Adventure
    Resident Evil 6
    Sonic 06 and Boom (also both crap)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Tekken 4

The game is largely held down by it's stage design. The stages had obstacles in them, many of them had uneven ground and and move properties changed depended on your character's elevation. If you managed to get the high ground you had the match won. I was happy when follow up games returned to having even ground.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Oh, I forgot about Batman Origins: Blackgate. Maybe Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny. Definitely Street Fighter EX and Danganronpa Another: Ultra Despair Girls.

And Shining Resonsnce looks like it's a Tales Of game rather than a Shining Force game.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 04-12-2018 at 09:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Okay, I get the points about Arkham Knight now.

That said, with some of these posts I'm wondering if some folks are conflating 'black sheep' with 'worst'? I know that's often the case, but the term refers more to being unusual than awful. I mean, I brought up Lost Planet 3 and I think that's a pretty solid game (mechanically unremarkable but elevated by shockingly strong narrative) that definitely isn't the worst of its series (that would be Lost Planet 1).
    It can mean unusual, but it really does mean bad as well.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Zelda 2 + the CDI games (all 4 are legit bad)
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    Final Fantasy 13
    Paper Mario Sticker Star
    Metroid Prime Federation Force and Other M
    Bioshock 2 (actually a great game, but nowhere near as well regarded as the other 2 in the series. a lot of the games I'm listing are actually good despite the hate)
    Star Fox Adventure
    Resident Evil 6
    Sonic 06 and Boom (also both crap)
    Super Mario Sunshine ws odd and what about Mario Brother 2?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Using it to describe terrible things is misusing the term.

R: Racing Evolution is definitely this for Ridge Racer. It added simulation elements to a series that's always been an arcade racer and it had a story mode for some bizarre reason.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's technically the other way around. A black sheep is something that's unlike the rest of its group, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be bad.

Super Mario bros 2 is kind of an interesting story.

Super Mario Bros 2 was actually a re-skin of a totally different Japanese game, although one still developed by Miyamoto, Doki Doki Panic. There's a Japanese Super Mario Bros II, but it was decided that it was too similar to the original game and too difficult to import, so we ended up with the Doki Doki stuff, explaining in part why the game is largely different from pretty much every other mario game (although some elements of it would end up in later games of course). The 'proper' Mario Bros II has of course been released a few times over here in various forms (although it didn't get a true port until 2007 with the Wii).

Both Castlevania II and Adventure of Link were a bit ahead of their time; while ambitious (and intended to be Castlevania and Zelda games from the start), I don't think JRPGs really became a big thing until the mid 90s, and both were a bit ambitious for the limited NES hardware as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Super Mario Sunshine was a rather odd duck of a game. And so, so bloody difficult.

I wasn't a bad gamer and can proudly say that I completed both Super Mario 64 and the first Super Mario Galaxy. I actually consider Galaxy to be one of the best games I've ever played.

Sunshine though? About halfway in I just conceded defeat. Every corner I turned and every different world I tried to progress through just seemed impassable.