Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    yeah, it's pretty clear my point wasn't about raising hair awareness. essentially i'm amused that it has its fans in context, when it had such a short shelf life and was so hated at the time

but if you want to talk popularity, by the time ben went blonde, his sales were already in trouble. his height of popularity was the long brown locks ben. but i don't reckon there's any solid data on it. maybe start a poll lol

i have stronger doubts that it would elevate the title to greatness though
    Yea I wasn't really aiming to dissect and psychoanalyze Ben and write a dissertation on him. Ben fans liked him blonde, and they want him blonde today. People who didn't like him in the 90's probably don't care one way or the other, pretty simple.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Yea I wasn't really aiming to dissect and psychoanalyze Ben and write a dissertation on him. Ben fans liked him blonde, and they want him blonde today. People who didn't like him in the 90's probably don't care one way or the other, pretty simple.
    cool, i...don't think anyone mentioned any psychological analysis? but always good to clarify, i guess. i'd like to make it clear that i don't want to discuss the price of fish or anyone's favourite ninja turtle while we're at it.

also..so far we've only discussed the fans of ben, i don't know why we're suddenly talking about those who didn't like him? i agree that they won't like him even if he shaved his whole head

i get that you like ben's frosted tips. that's cool. i thought it was funny that such a short lived and very unpopular feature had blossomed for SOME fans. that's all good. i could never diss someone's tastes. that this is turning this into a ...sorta kinda...non-debate over that observation is very very confusing.
    troo fan or death

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

As long as his hair isn’t red, right guys? That’s not the reason we wanna call him scarlet.

Ba dum dum!

So back to us championing a social media campaign to get my Scarlet Bros cartoon made...!

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    As long as his hair isn’t red, right guys? That’s not the reason we wanna call him scarlet.

Ba dum dum!

So back to us championing a social media campaign to get my Scarlet Bros cartoon made...!
    Wasn't Kaine's hair red for a bit? HE should have red hair, was a good look for him...blonde and red to be more distinct and standout from Peter.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Wasn't Kaine's hair red for a bit? HE should have red hair, was a good look for him...blonde and red to be more distinct and standout from Peter.
    I don't think it was ever red. At most, it was auburn (reddish-brown), and throughout his solo, it was a considerably lighter shade of brown than Peter's.

That aside, thanks for liking my idea of Ben Reilly as Peter's not-always-friendly neighborhood guardian angel, Obsidian Spider, and a Scarlet Spiders cartoon would be amazing.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

I think to make this book better, Peter David needs to go. I wanted a book about Ben Reilly and his journey towards becoming a hero again. Instead, we gotten a rehash of PAD's ideas that may have worked well in other books, (Vegas setting, Margo/Death), and too many guest stars that distract the focus on Ben. I'd rather he was back on the road, as in the Lost Years. He found himself on the road, those years away from New York, it would have been an ideal way for Ben to find himself again, rather than relying on the deus ex machina of Death or Mephisto.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I feel the biggest problem is that this was just yet again NOT the Ben Reilly fans of the character are demanding. It is like Marvel has wax in their ears.

After seeing the March sales figures one has to wonder if Peter David has an ending scripted for this this series cause it's coming. Under 16K with a non-Scholastic, non-minority character means there are no reasons to keep the book going.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    I think to make this book better, Peter David needs to go. I wanted a book about Ben Reilly and his journey towards becoming a hero again. Instead, we gotten a rehash of PAD's ideas that may have worked well in other books, (Vegas setting, Margo/Death), and too many guest stars that distract the focus on Ben. I'd rather he was back on the road, as in the Lost Years. He found himself on the road, those years away from New York, it would have been an ideal way for Ben to find himself again, rather than relying on the deus ex machina of Death or Mephisto.
    Who would be a better choice for writer?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Who would be a better choice for writer?
    Ideally, JM Dematteis for me. He did a great job giving both Ben and Kaine "voices" in the Lost Years and Redemption miniseries.

I don't mean to knock Peter David, I loved his work on the Hulk and other books, but his work on Scarlet Spider has me feeling he just doesn't get the character and what makes him work.

I see what Peter David's trying to do with saving Ben's soul. It's an interesting idea but PAD has made it feel very external to Ben. With Death and Mephisto telling him how he feels. Shouldn't repairing your soul be much more introspective and personal?

I think Christopher Yost did a fantastic job with Kaine's Scarlet Spider series and his struggle with being a better man. I really cared about his journey.

Gerry Duggan is obviously busy but knows how to make you feel for a character who has done some bad things.

Nick Spencer also knows how to tell a deeply personal story with characters trying to figure out the right thing to do. Since he's taking over Amazing Spider-Man, this could lead to a nice and much-needed crossover down the road.

I only read a handful of issues of All-New Wolverine but Tom Taylor had me caring for Wolverine's clone with a tortured past.

Dream list:
    Mark Waid
    Joss Whedon
    Jason Aaron
    Tom King

Those would all be great choices. Tom King is unfortunately exclusive to DC, last I heard, but it would be nice to see him on Scarlet Spider. I'd also like to see Chris Yost come back to do both Kaine and Ben, and I would gladly appreciate JM DeMatteis returning to Marvel to get the Scarlet Spider(s) back on course. Gerry Duggan would be great as well, given his work on Deadpool, especially in the lead-up to Secret Empire and its aftermath, and I could also see a Deadpool/Scarlet Spider team-up (or fight) as both of them are degenerate bastards in red who have done awful things for what they thought were the right reasons, only to get horrific (and deserved) karmic backlash for their misdeeds and are now trying to figure out what in the hell "right" even means anymore. Tom Taylor on Scarlet Spider would definitely be good, I think, as given Superior Iron Man and the Injustice comics, he has a pretty good knack for twisted, more morally dubious versions of familiar heroes.

And yes, like a lot of us have said here and elsewhere already, there does need to be some greater resonance between the Ben Reilly we have now and the Ben Reilly we once knew, so we can have some feeling that this is, on some or any level, the same character we loved or used to love in more than just name and authorial insistence. Recalling Elizabeth Tyne/Janine Godbe, for starters. Recalling his time in New York fighting crime as either the Scarlet Spider or Spider-Man. Having forgotten enemies of Peter Parker (or Ben Reilly) pop up in Las Vegas seeking bloody revenge on Spider-Man or the next best thing. And if there had to be supernatural influences, what about that time (never really expounded on, just mentioned) that Ben fought D'Spayre? We could have had D'Spayre messing with Ben from behind the scenes all along, intent on driving him over the edge (and succeeding, judging by what happened in The Clone Conspiracy).

I think bringing back J.M. DeMatteis would do a lot for the book: not only is he a fantastic writer in general, but I have a feeling that, for lots of fans, it's JMD's voice for Ben they really hear in their heads.

You all know I'm enjoying PAD's book, but hey - I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at JMD! His ability to explore his characters is, in part what made Ben (and Kaine) so interesting in the first place.

Heck - relaunch the book as Scarlet Spiders with Ben and Kaine as official co-leads, and have JMD continue the storylines that started in their respective solos: Ben trying to redeem himself; Kaine as Hummingbird's champion. You could even put them on the road together, just like in Lost Years - except this time as unlikely allies / brothers (who fight sometimes).

Also, I'm totally onboard with returns of D'SPAYRE and Joystick, especially - good choices.

I still want Armada to show up again, as well.

-Pav, who is excited for this week's issue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I think bringing back J.M. DeMatteis would do a lot for the book: not only is he a fantastic writer in general, but I have a feeling that, for lots of fans, it's JMD's voice for Ben they really hear in their heads.

You all know I'm enjoying PAD's book, but hey - I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at JMD! His ability to explore his characters is, in part what made Ben (and Kaine) so interesting in the first place.

Heck - relaunch the book as Scarlet Spiders with Ben and Kaine as official co-leads, and have JMD continue the storylines that started in their respective solos: Ben trying to redeem himself; Kaine as Hummingbird's champion. You could even put them on the road together, just like in Lost Years - except this time as unlikely allies / brothers (who fight sometimes).

Also, I'm totally onboard with returns of D'SPAYRE and Joystick, especially - good choices.

I still want Armada to show up again, as well.

-Pav, who is excited for this week's issue...
    Same here. I wanna see if there's a Spider-Man that can actually outwit or double-cross the Devil (technically, the closest in-universe equivalent thereof). That said, I like your idea for bringing back Joystick; I think she and Ben would have great chemistry.

I feel like Ben would have used his resources as The Jackal to get a bit of revenge on Norman Osborn. He WAS the first person to kill him and none of this would have happened if it weren’t for Osborn’s machinations.

Hello, CBR! It's my first post. I've been watching CBR's community for a while now and decided to finally register. English is not my first language, but I think it's great opportunity to get to learn it better. Pardon for my eventually misspellings!.

1. I think we have seen enough of the Jackal. Let him rest for a while. He is there somewhere but he's not needed right now.

2. Spidercide was... meh. I didn't like his design at all (mouth of the mask was ugly, in my opinion).

3. Hell yes! Blond Reilly is the best Reilly! Seriously speaking, his blond hair was nice because he didn't look exactly 1:1 like Peter.

4. I know it probably won't happen, but I'd love for Ben to return to NY after his redemption arc is over.

5. Yes, I agree. Ben and his gadgets were another trait that differentiated him from Peter.

6. The return of Elizabeth Tyne is something I've been thinking about lately. She could remind him about his past self, who he was, etc. It could help him become the man he once was - hero and (for me) the best Spider-Man like character.

7. I think the dynamic between Ben and Kaine is great. He is more than welcome to stay as a supporting character, but I agree that he should get his own moniker. Crimson Spider sounds good. I remember from his solo series that he didn't like when people called him Scarlet Spider and he said that it would be better to be Dark Spider or something like that.

8. I like that idea.

9. Meeting Miguel O'Hara would be nice, but I don't think it's necessary at this point of story. I think Ben should reconcile with Peter before he mets other Spider-Family members.

10. Yes, I agree. I don't like June. I just don't care about her as a character.

11. I agree. It's extremely hard for them to be "pals" again at this moment but I think it could be done. They just have to make Ben earn Peter's trust again in some spectacular way.

12. I don't mind calling him a "clone", but it would be nice to use "clone" word less.

13. Yup, he does need help. Elizabeth Tyne, as I mentioned earlier, would be the best option for it. She knows that he was Scarlet Spider/Spider-Man and that he is a clone. She knows Ben's past. He knows Elizabeth's past. I think it could work well.