Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Does anyone actually like INK?

He just seems to be merely a stereotypical over-powered wish-fulfillment self-insert “Gary Stu” for Mark Guggenheim. The last we saw him was in a coma at the end of Young X-Men (from “Channeling” apparently the Phoenix Force through TATTOOS wth) and suddenly he’s now supposed to be on the A-List X-Men Gold adult team, even ahead of other students with longer tenures and much more experience? Just because he’s got a Jack-of-All-Trades power set given to him by his tattoo artist , the REAL mutant (who apparently was an unconscious reality warper). And what’s even much worse , he has just absolutely no personality whatsoever , at least in the books themselves. He showed personality on the Bendis’ Parody X-Meh variant cover , where he looks like a smug braggart with Zero self-awareness, like a X-version of DBZ’s Mr. Hercule Satan. Anyone who saw that would think that he is a gag character like the down-to-Earth fool Kev in Garth Ennis’ deconstructionist comedy take on Warren Ellis’ Authority, which would be entertainingly fine, if only that’s How he was actually written. But instead, currently, he is basically a poor man’s version of Judd Winick’s Mimic , who I personally feel should have been the one given the throwaway one-Panel death as shock-value cannon-fodder in place of EyeBoy in Cullen Bunn’s Venomized mini-series. Tsk tsk tsk TLDR : he seems to be the textbook example of “Superflous” and thus “X-Pendable”.
    Last edited by JDC001; 05-16-2018 at 10:43 AM.

BANNED

I think Gugg promoted him to be in X-Men core book, if not he'll be in limbo.

He's not even a mutant and given way too many artificial powers by tattoo.

Even if the power is transferred from mutant to human, it should be temporary and not permanent so it doesn't make sense at all for him to have all these powers permanently.

Mimic is a mutant and more qualified to be in the X-Men.

I legit enjoyed him during the Young X-Men run. Sorry Not Sorry.

But I have to admit that his sudden ascension to full X-Man status felt un-earned.

Guggs does

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I just wish he had a better design. I keep thinking it's a young Xavier when I see him.

Here's the thing: I don't like Ink. At all. BUT, given the mutant metaphor, there are good stories that could be told with Ink. I could see any writer worth his salt being able to get some thoughtful mileage out of 1) the fact that he was mislead by a mutant into adopting a mutant identity (something that would have more resonance if there had been any long-term consequences at all one Leon went comatose) and 2) the fact that Ink is also walking metaphor for cultural appropriation. He gets cool mutant powers, but doesn't have the x-gene, which means blood screenings and Sentinels should just overlook him. He can check out of the whole X-Men gig any time he wants.

Between those two facts, there should tension going both ways between him and, at the least, the other students. And tension tends to breed interesting story hooks. But this is Guggenheim writing, so he's just a walking deux ex.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Here's the thing: I don't like Ink. At all. BUT, given the mutant metaphor, there are good stories that could be told with Ink. I could see any writer worth his salt being able to get some thoughtful mileage out of 1) the fact that he was mislead by a mutant into adopting a mutant identity (something that would have more resonance if there had been any long-term consequences at all one Leon went comatose) and 2) the fact that Ink is also walking metaphor for cultural appropriation. He gets cool mutant powers, but doesn't have the x-gene, which means blood screenings and Sentinels should just overlook him. He can check out of the whole X-Men gig any time he wants.

Between those two facts, there should tension going both ways between him and, at the least, the other students. And tension tends to breed interesting story hooks. But this is Guggenheim writing, so he's just a walking deux ex.
    Yeah, he's got the hint of a neat idea, but the writers involved with him have never really explored it, so he's just annoying on two levels, because it's disappointing that they haven't 'gone there' with him, and he kind of sucks otherwise.

There's also the creepy potential that someone could skin the fool and steal his powers, along with his mutant ink.

Or for his mutant tattoos to somehow draw upon the power of the mutants they represent, so that the more he uses his power, the more actual mutants with those powers find their powers diminished or blinking out at inconvenient moments, giving them a motivation to erase some of his tattoos.

No. Not one bit.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Yes, I do like him a lot!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I like him. He seems to be this generation's Mimic/Synce.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 05-16-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post

Even if the power is transferred from mutant to human, it should be temporary and not permanent so it doesn't make sense at all for him to have all these powers permanently.

Well really those powers in the mini of YX-Men was seen in the future that IF YOU ARE PERMANENETES.

And why should not they be permanent ??? the attacker grants skills by means of his tattoos, it was never said to be temporary.

Also if we go for that, then remove the powers to Siperman, Hulk, Fantastic 4, Carol Danvers, Wonderman and dozens of marvel characters, that their powers are not natural or born with them, but were granted, by accident or what to be.

So that comment seems a little out of place.

If I agree that the character must define his personality is too flat.

But I am indifferent, I do not like it too much or dislike me either, especially because it lacks personality, if someone develops it, I may change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post

But I think they are exaggerating, it is not that INk's capabilities are high level, it has several abilities but they are all moderate.

I do not see him as a Deus Ex, especially because he is on the ground defeated many times.

Leave Magik out of this...

This is my guff. I don't mind when an X-person is in a group like Avengers... but seeing a technically "non-mutant" in a mutant group feels wrong.

Spectacular Member

Its been confirmed in Xmen Legacy a few years ago that Mimic is NOT a genetic mutant in Reality-616, which is why his BFF Michael Pointer nearly exploded from absorbing his none-mutant energies ...

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I find it to be a huge problem that the X-Men don't have more non-mutants in their ranks. But Ink's powers are too deus ex machina, especially if they're going to add more and more powers to him. His tattoo artist should die, with his powers fading from use as time goes by.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier