Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Phasma. She doesn't accomplish anything really through TFA and TLJ. Other than that Kylo Ren despite being a lunatic is pretty much the only villain so far to do just fine.

The First Order despite losing Starkiller base destabilized the power structure of the New Republic, reduced the Jedi to one, reduced the resistance to fitting on the Falcon, strained Luke to the point he died (though they couldn't have known that when it happened), centralized command structure while the Resistance lost its (though part of that is to actually losing Carrie Fisher), and taking the resistance base.

They overall are pretty successful as far as Star Wars villains go. They didn't take 20 years to consolidate power, they just built up resources and in the span of a few galactic days kicked ass. They killed two OT heroes and destabilized the galactic government. That's impressive as far as trilogy factions go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Phasma: I can see Phasma here. They did nothing with her for two films. Boba Fett at least tracked Solo in Empire Strikes Back. For build up before every film she was wasted each time. She can survive and be used. And can be effective. Hans Gruber had only one film. Joker appeared on screen for only 20 minutes in Dark Knight. So, screen time is not that big of an issue. But in how you use them. Since, the Knights of Ren are going to appear, i say forget her and focus on them. That would be best. She died. Full stop.

Hux: I enjoyed Hux when he was used in a comedic situation as in The Last Jedi. But he was more threatening when he wasn't used to get comedy in TFA. So, take these two ideas for Hux if you want him to appear more threatening (even if i am fine with him being used as in The Last Jedi):

1. From Tarkin learn that to make him appear threatening make him appear untouchable. One reason Tarkin is so threatening is because he appeared like someone who had some control on Vader. He looked like he owned the place. This is not easy as Kylo actually owns the place. But make him look untouchable. In TLJ he was pushed around. First Snoke threw him around. Later, Kylo did twice. First, by using the force choke. Later, he literally threw him around by Force. That shall not happen. Make him stand straight as Tarkin. It would help.

2. From Krennic learn that even a guy who is not in charge can be good. Krennic was shown his place. But a serious tone helped him. Stop using him for comedy, and it would help.

Kylo Ren: Whatever they are doing with Kylo Ren is working. Both directors have done a great job. I don't see how he could be less threatening. Is he Vader? No, he is not. So, many villains in film history are not Vader. To be as good as Vader you have to be like Hans Grueber, like Hannibal Lecter, like Wicked Witch of the West. In short, you can't be one. Nor do you need to. Forge your own path. I love his complexity, even if for that they gave away a bit of that 'threatening' aspect of other villains. I love Kylo Ren.

Snoke: I don't see how he is less threatening. He was really impressive. So, much so that Kylo had to cheat to kill him. And he's dead. You can't improve him.

First Order: You have destroyed the New Republic and taken over the galaxy. So, you are basically the new Empire. That's impressive. Just don't get beaten by critters like Ewoks. Battle the Wookies.
    I think Hux and Phasma is where most of my complaint comes from. Though I honestly don't think we can fully credit the first order for the Losses the Resistance suffered in TLJ. I'd say the resistance suffered more due to in fighting than anything else. I do agree Kylo is fine. Snoke was impressive but he ends up being kind of a non-villain all things considered. Though it's hard to know if he'll stay dead considering we've seen people in Star Wars come back from worse.

You know, for being miniaturized Death Star tech the siege cannon didn't really seem to do that much damage that the Walkers probably could've done-it pretty much just made a relatively small hole. Must be miniaturized by a lot....In a lot of promotional material for the movie, it's stated that the larger Walkers (AT-M6) had a big cannon at the top (which they needed the gorilla arms for, for aiming it), and the M6 meant "Megacalibur six". But they didn't seem to do any more damage than the regular blasters.

Makes me wonder if the siege cannon was a possible late addition to the film.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    You know, for being miniaturized Death Star tech the siege cannon didn't really seem to do that much damage that the Walkers probably could've done-it pretty much just made a relatively small hole. Must be miniaturized by a lot....In a lot of promotional material for the movie, it's stated that the larger Walkers (AT-M6) had a big cannon at the top (which they needed the gorilla arms for, for aiming it), and the M6 meant "Megacalibur six". But they didn't seem to do any more damage than the regular blasters.

Makes me wonder if the siege cannon was a possible late addition to the film.
    I assume the miniaturized Death Star tech line was largely meant to explain why the cannon needed so long to charge.

As for villains being threatening or not, I think sometimes we overlook the OT's villain's glaring flaws.

I mean, Palpatine and Vader let Obi-Wan hide Luke on the planet Anakin was born on, with his extended family and the same last name. And that's okay. If villains didn't have these kinds of flaws, they'd win.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I assume the miniaturized Death Star tech line was largely meant to explain why the cannon needed so long to charge.

As for villains being threatening or not, I think sometimes we overlook the OT's villain's glaring flaws.

I mean, Palpatine and Vader let Obi-Wan hide Luke on the planet Anakin was born on, with his extended family and the same last name. And that's okay. If villains didn't have these kinds of flaws, they'd win.
    It's not that the FO guys are more flawed than the Imperials it's again that these new guys were never developed. They spent a considerable amount of time in A New Hope building up Vader and the Empire as these ominous forces. With the First Order in the Force Awakens they just took it for granted that because they looked like Imperials from the OT then that was enough...but it isn't.