Page 58 of 104 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Hopefully this first Miles related media that will Ganke and Judge be relevant. Hopefully Bombshell too
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Oh yeah, one other villain: Techno Golem.

Still hoping that Saladin Ahmed brings Tomoe back in the comics as well.
    Maybe the pink character is their version of her. Looks tech based

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Hopefully this first Miles related media that will Ganke and Judge be relevant. Hopefully Bombshell too

Maybe the pink character is their version of her. Looks tech based
    So another plot idea, have the main story be a gang war between Mr. Negative and his Inner Demons vs. Tomoe and her crime syndicate, with Miles caught in the center. It could even tie into the "Be Better" tagline since the story could actually reach the point where Miles does have to save Mr. Negative.

And in the backdrop you can have side missions/stories involving The Bombshells and The Prowler. I'd even end the game with a sequel hook that The Prowler/Aaron is actually working for Norman Osborn under the table. Tying Miles' next story back into Spider-Man 2.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 06-13-2020 at 06:37 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Miles' popularity and fame is a referendum on Peter Parker, in that Peter can never again be the underdog working-class teenage hero. Miles' success makes that version of Peter, "teenage Spider-Man" or "high-school Spider-Man" obsolete.
    That hasn't proven true so far. Marvel are still actively using teenage Peter Parker, even alongside Miles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That hasn't proven true so far. Marvel are still actively using teenage Peter Parker, even alongside Miles.
    A) Not in the comics they aren't.

B) In the MCU, they made Peter teenage by giving him aspects of Miles, which obviously highlights the issue in a way that everyone can see, as Evan Narcisse himself pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think we're going to get SpOck until the third main game, if we do at all.
    Doing Superior in any medium other than comics is always going to be hard if not impossible. What defined that event is not the story and concept, but the fact that Slott did it as an ongoing for a year. It's about duration and quantity primarily. If you correlate that to a game and a movie, it's basically an entire game or a movie where you play as Otto-in-Peter, except for maybe the very start and the very end, or in a movie where we see Tom Holland mug for the camera as Ock in his version of Tobey's "Emo Peter" shtick from Spider-Man 3.

Such a prospect would be deeply uncommercial to start with. In the case of a videogame, especially a console exclusive, i.e. a system-selling title, the idea of these games is for players to be Spider-Man. Having a villain in a hero's body runs counter to that and it's not a version that publishers would be especially keen to invest in. Remember that by the time the next full sequel comes out on PS5, there will be a new console, a significant chunk of the people who bought the previous game on PS4 will not have converted in time so you can't simply rely or hope that the new people coming in would know the previous game. They have to be sold on the idea of being Spider-Man as much as the previous game did. And the prospect of some kid playing Spider-Man for the first time and their introduction being Otto-in-Peter is not something that a Sony executive would want to invest in. Spider-Man PS4 is not supposed to be some artsy game like Death Stranding, this is meant to bring the civilians in (or as they call them in games, casuals).

At best, it can be some kind of DLC but highly short and circumscribed. And likewise if you want to do Kraven the Hunter and adapt some version of Kraven's Last Hunt that would discount the appeal of a story that's basically the same premise but padded out.

More than that the Game's version of Otto is highly specific and quite apart from the comics' character that made Slott's Superior flex possible.
    -- Insom!Otto is fixated on hatred towards Norman, not driven by any kind of childhood abuse and grudge as in comics. Norman is his former friend in college.
    -- Insom!Otto is a scientist who has had some amount of achievement, professional standing and respect, unlike the highly unpopular and under-appreciated Otto who got involved in that nuclear explosion.
    -- Insom!Otto knows Peter very well and understands his life whereas Otto never did until he brainscanned Peter.
    -- Insom!Otto on some level cares about scientific excellence and doing good, whereas Otto even after he becomes Superior is basically a corporate scientist who wants to monetize his inventions.

What made Superior Otto possible for Otto is the idea that Otto upon being imprinted with Peter's memories and consciousness would be capable of redemption. For that to work, Otto has to be completely remote and apart from Peter's life only to suddenly enter into that. At the end of the first game, Otto started as a good man respected by Peter, who also knows and appreciates Peter into breaking bad and becoming a bioterrorist that kills countless people, including Aunt May. It would not be believable on any level for this version of Otto to be interested in redemption by simply having Peter's memories and consciousness imprinted on him. And likewise, it would be hard to impossible to justify any redemption for the dude who killed Aunt May.

I could be wrong of course, but I just don't see the set-up leading to Superior any time soon.
    At the end of the first game Ock's body is getting "weaker" so I think it makes sense if he needs a better body and tries to take a body of someone else not only very strong but someone he has spent a lot of time with so he can mimic so no one can tell the difference. Plus with Miles getting the most screen time and Peter not being the focus it'll probably be a guessing game of when Ock took over the body, could be before the game/could be during a mission, and it leads to a shocking scene with Miles finding out.

I also could see what happens to Aunt May happens to Ock and Peter leading to The Jackal taking some DNA of both men for a special SAGA for the 3rd game.

Getting back to Miles, does he have any villains of his own, I'm not too familiar with him and his supporting characters?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So another plot idea, have the main story be a gang war between Mr. Negative and his Inner Demons vs. Tomoe and her crime syndicate, with Miles caught in the center. It could even tie into the "Be Better" tagline since the story could actually reach the point where Miles does have to save Mr. Negative.

And in the backdrop you can have side missions/stories involving The Bombshells and The Prowler. I'd even end the game with a sequel hook that The Prowler/Aaron is actually working for Norman Osborn under the table. Tying Miles' next story back into Spider-Man 2.
    As an aside, just to throw in something extra, if Peter does get taken out of commission in this game, i think Techno Golem being the big bad would make even more sense given that this incarnation of Peter is way more tech and gadget focus than any other.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    At the end of the first game Ock's body is getting "weaker" so I think it makes sense if he needs a better body and tries to take a body of someone else not only very strong but someone he has spent a lot of time with so he can mimic so no one can tell the difference. Plus with Miles getting the most screen time and Peter not being the focus it'll probably be a guessing game of when Ock took over the body, could be before the game/could be during a mission, and it leads to a shocking scene with Miles finding out.

I also could see what happens to Aunt May happens to Ock and Peter leading to The Jackal taking some DNA of both men for a special SAGA for the 3rd game.

Getting back to Miles, does he have any villains of his own, I'm not too familiar with him and his supporting characters?
    Prowler would be Miles top enemy. He's his uncle after all and it will make for a good personal story.

There's Conrad Marcus who was his Venom. The game has setup Harry for that role but Conrad can be the guy who's treating him.

Mysterio has menace Miles a few times.

The last shot is Gwen calling out to Miles through the portals...so it's not like there won't be a connection going forward.
    Yeah, but probably not for daily Spider-Man adventures.
    Doing Superior in any medium other than comics is always going to be hard if not impossible. What defined that event is not the story and concept, but the fact that Slott did it as an ongoing for a year. It's about duration and quantity primarily. If you correlate that to a game and a movie, it's basically an entire game or a movie where you play as Otto-in-Peter, except for maybe the very start and the very end, or in a movie where we see Tom Holland mug for the camera as Ock in his version of Tobey's "Emo Peter" shtick from Spider-Man 3.

Such a prospect would be deeply uncommercial to start with. In the case of a videogame, especially a console exclusive, i.e. a system-selling title, the idea of these games is for players to be Spider-Man. Having a villain in a hero's body runs counter to that and it's not a version that publishers would be especially keen to invest in. Remember that by the time the next full sequel comes out on PS5, there will be a new console, a significant chunk of the people who bought the previous game on PS4 will not have converted in time so you can't simply rely or hope that the new people coming in would know the previous game. They have to be sold on the idea of being Spider-Man as much as the previous game did. And the prospect of some kid playing Spider-Man for the first time and their introduction being Otto-in-Peter is not something that a Sony executive would want to invest in. Spider-Man PS4 is not supposed to be some artsy game like Death Stranding, this is meant to bring the civilians in (or as they call them in games, casuals).

At best, it can be some kind of DLC but highly short and circumscribed. And likewise if you want to do Kraven the Hunter and adapt some version of Kraven's Last Hunt that would discount the appeal of a story that's basically the same premise but padded out.

More than that the Game's version of Otto is highly specific and quite apart from the comics' character that made Slott's Superior flex possible.
    -- Insom!Otto is fixated on hatred towards Norman, not driven by any kind of childhood abuse and grudge as in comics. Norman is his former friend in college.
    -- Insom!Otto is a scientist who has had some amount of achievement, professional standing and respect, unlike the highly unpopular and under-appreciated Otto who got involved in that nuclear explosion.
    -- Insom!Otto knows Peter very well and understands his life whereas Otto never did until he brainscanned Peter.
    -- Insom!Otto on some level cares about scientific excellence and doing good, whereas Otto even after he becomes Superior is basically a corporate scientist who wants to monetize his inventions.

What made Superior Otto possible for Otto is the idea that Otto upon being imprinted with Peter's memories and consciousness would be capable of redemption. For that to work, Otto has to be completely remote and apart from Peter's life only to suddenly enter into that. At the end of the first game, Otto started as a good man respected by Peter, who also knows and appreciates Peter into breaking bad and becoming a bioterrorist that kills countless people, including Aunt May. It would not be believable on any level for this version of Otto to be interested in redemption by simply having Peter's memories and consciousness imprinted on him. And likewise, it would be hard to impossible to justify any redemption for the dude who killed Aunt May.

I could be wrong of course, but I just don't see the set-up leading to Superior any time soon.
    I think there would be some appeal in, however briefly, playing the villain as Spider-Man and seeing how that plays compared to playing Peter. Ultimately the build up would be to Peter getting his body back and then resolving the real threat.

I'd like to see a take on SpOck that doesn't make any kind of apologies for Doc Ock and just plain makes him a villain posing as Spider-Man.
    I can accept that. I mean I think Peter and Miles can work as a team a la...well not Batman and Robin (Bruce and Dick Grayson) but as Batman and Robin (Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne) where you have some amount of equality and old-brother and kid-not-impressed dynamic. Their dynamic in Spider-Men II by Bendis was decent.
    I just don't see that kind of partnership working on an ongoing basis. Miles has had enough of a stigma of being forced into a sidekick role in media as is.
    Oh yeah, one other villain: Techno Golem.

Still hoping that Saladin Ahmed brings Tomoe back in the comics as well.
    As an aside, just to throw in something extra, if Peter does get taken out of commission in this game, i think Techno Golem being the big bad would make even more sense given that this incarnation of Peter is way more tech and gadget focus than any other.
    I was wondering what kind of villain could just make weapons or hi-tech stuff out of thin air...but Tomoe would make sense. Would Insomniac have access to her?
    I'd love a Judge cameo .

I do wonder if there will be moments where we see Miles at school of if it'll be off-screen.
    He has his own Prowler, who's half villain, half anti-hero.

His core supporting characters are his parents and his best friend Ganke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Mysterio has menace Miles a few times.
    I think they're going to save the bigger A-listers for Peter's next game.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    The whole issue of the Superior story is that you are in Otto's shoes the whole time. If we make it a Nolan-like back-and-forth thing, that changes the story...in a direction that I'd prefer. I'd like nothing better than Superior to be done with and dispensed in a Miles-centric standalone. Doing so would prove my point about the actual story being hard to impossible to adapt for any medium outside comics.

About the only way I can see them doing Superior in a main game is to borrow from Batman Arkham Knight. In the third game, Batman after being injected by some chemicals has Joker's consciousness infecting and slowly taking over his mind and Joker is always present in each moment and scene as a ghost who slowly tries to take over at various points in the game. I think you can do something like that, have Otto inject his consciousness but Peter has to slowly resist him throughout the game, and occassionally Otto does take over in some episodes but Peter pushes back and eventually has to find a way to excise him. That way you can have your cake and eat it too...you can sell the game as a Peter Parker Spider-Man story while touching on some big moments of the Superior story.

The big one is Aaron Davis/Prowler who is genuinely a great character and villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there would be some appeal in, however briefly, playing the villain as Spider-Man and seeing how that plays compared to playing Peter.
    Well playing as a villain is different from playing as Superior Spider-Man. Playing as a villain i.e. Doctor Octopus and his Robo-Arms, is not the same as playing Peter Parker, Spider-Man but with more gadgets and basically more like Batman.

Playing as a villain has been done in Spider-Man games, like for instance the PC version of Spider-Man 1 (Based on the movie) has you unlock a mode where you play as Harry Osborn's Green Goblin and essentially fly around on Goblin's Glider and use his pumpkin bombs and razor bats (which I thought then was really cool). Venom likewise has been playable in a few games.

Ultimately the build up would be to Peter getting his body back and then resolving the real threat.
    Yeah but a good chunk of the basic game would have Otto-in-Peter. Which is a hard sell.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 06-13-2020 at 08:58 AM.

The whole issue of the Superior story is that you are in Otto's shoes the whole time. If we make it a Nolan-like back-and-forth thing, that changes the story...in a direction that I'd prefer. I'd like nothing better than Superior to be done with and dispensed in a Miles-centric standalone. Doing so would prove my point about the actual story being hard to impossible to adapt for any medium outside comics. .
    The Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon did it fairly well, but it probably helped that Slott was a consultant and would have had a lot of investment in making sure the writers handled the story (and Doc Ock) well.

Some people are theorizing that the main villain for Miles' game might be Tomoe The TECHNOGOLEM and her Bio Hack ninjas. Based on the glimpses of enemies we saw in the teaser trailer, that might actually be possible.

Astonishing Member

A) Not in the comics they aren't.
    The licensed Marvel Action: Spider-Man comic has Peter, Miles and Gwen as teenagers. Teenage Peter Parker is currently appearing in comics, cartoons and live action movies. This suggests that the people making these comics, cartoons and live action movies don't consider teenage Peter Parker to be obsolete.

B) In the MCU, they made Peter teenage by giving him aspects of Miles, which obviously highlights the issue in a way that everyone can see, as Evan Narcisse himself pointed out.
    "Ned Leeds", sure. The rest, not so much.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

The trailer on PlayStation YouTube page has already 7.5 million views. Probably the most after the hardware reveal from the event on Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    Some people are theorizing that the main villain for Miles' game might be Tomoe The TECHNOGOLEM and her Bio Hack ninjas. Based on the glimpses of enemies we saw in the teaser trailer, that might actually be possible.
    Yeah, I can't think of anybody else who could make tech appear out of thin-air.
    The trailer on PlayStation YouTube page has already 7.5 million views. Probably the most after the hardware reveal from the event on Thursday
    It was probably the most hyped reveal of the whole presentation.

Ultimate Member

This probably just ensured PS5 & the game will be sold out before Black Friday. Wouldn't shock me if they put both together in one package.

The licensed Marvel Action: Spider-Man comic has Peter, Miles and Gwen as teenagers. Teenage Peter Parker is currently appearing in comics, cartoons and live action movies. This suggests that the people making these comics, cartoons and live action movies don't consider teenage Peter Parker to be obsolete.
    Don't forget we got another Miles, Peter & Gwen cartoon coming in 2021 on one of the Disney channels. Either they will be teens or kids. I want to say it's for little kids.

Marvel is not getting rid of Teen and younger Peter because they have Miles.

All Miles does is allow them to expand the empire.