Page 26 of 104 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Does the deluxe edition come with the Iron Spider, Spider-Punk, and Velocity suits?
    Check the listing for it. It may still be available from Playstation Network but I'm not sure. Otherwise they are early unlocks so you just get them earlier than otherwise.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Does the deluxe edition come with the Iron Spider, Spider-Punk, and Velocity suits?
    They do, man. And you unlock them as soon as possible, after you complete a few missions and get the improved suit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    (I quoted a major spoiler about the game's ending.)

This is the thing I really want to talk about. And I think will get a lot of really interesting discussions about. But maybe we should wait a while until more people actually beat the game so it isn't wall to wall spoiler text.
    Yup, overall I can say I liked it. Trying to be super vague here...

Its something that doesn't seem to work so much anymore (in the comics at least) so I'm interested to see how it plays out. I'd definitely be for a spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Yup, overall I can say I liked it. Trying to be super vague here...

Its something that doesn't seem to work so much anymore (in the comics at least) so I'm interested to see how it plays out. I'd definitely be for a spoiler thread.
    One thing that reminded me of the Arkham games is that, not being strictly beholden to the comics, they can make some major story decisions that you couldn't get away with in the comics.

spoilers:
    Although honestly them killing off Miles' dad surprised me a little more.
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

So, what did you guys think about Mr. Negative in this and does his inclusion here guarantee that he'll have the same staying power in the franchise as guys like Venom and Hobgoblin?

I personally really enjoyed how he was used. The actor playing him did really well with giving him a subdued quality. He didn't ham it up near as much as your typical Spider-Man villain, and I liked how much respect he had for Spider-Man. He seemed to have seen Spider-Man as a hero before becoming a full on supervillain and actually tried to recruit him. I also think it's interesting that the Martin Li and Mr. Negative personas were less distinct from each other than in the comics.

Lastly, I think Negative just has a really unique aesthetic that makes him stand out in the Spidey rogues gallery. I've allways really enjoyed him as a villain in the comics and I hope this game ensures that he'll be remembered in the years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    So, what did you guys think about Mr. Negative in this and does his inclusion here guarantee that he'll have the same staying power in the franchise as guys like Venom and Hobgoblin?

I personally really enjoyed how he was used. The actor playing him did really well with giving him a subdued quality. He didn't ham it up near as much as your typical Spider-Man villain, and I liked how much respect he had for Spider-Man. He seemed to have seen Spider-Man as a hero before becoming a full on supervillain and actually tried to recruit him. I also think it's interesting that the Martin Li and Mr. Negative personas were less distinct from each other than in the comics.

Lastly, I think Negative just has a really unique aesthetic that makes him stand out in the Spidey rogues gallery. I've allways really enjoyed him as a villain in the comics and I hope this game ensures that he'll be remembered in the years to come.
    I said this in my own thoughts on the game, but I think he felt like a much better handled and more nuanced character in this game then he is in the comics.

It almost kind of makes me wish the comics could do a do-over for Negative because I think they've missed the chance to capitalize on him like the game did.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

What’s y’alls Favorite suit to play with?

Mines gotta be the Iron spider, I just have so much fun dropping on Thugs from above than popping out the arms and just smashing everybody in sight.

Spectacular Member

I have been playing in the classic suit. While I like a lot of the other suits, for me it doesn't quite feel right in anything but the original. Spider-Man has the best superhero costume in comics, why mess with it?

Advanced suit all the way, love the boldness of the white spider and the running shoes.

iMan 42s

I really like the Advanced suit and even find myself using the Classic often enough. The Classic model is actually really good despite how it's normally depicted being kind of flat. I think the expressiveness of the eyes really help these costumes work. And while I have nothing against ANAD, I do find that the book that it appeared in is all kinds of crap. However the coloration and how lighting affects the suit as well as the expressive eyes really help me work past that. I just kept thinking "aww, you're better than the source material" which is in a way appropriate for most of the game.

Otherwise I'm switching normally with Advanced, Classic, ANAD, Ghost Spider, and Iron Spider.

I also have to agree on Mister Negative being used better here than in the comics. I kind of like the idea of the separation of good and evil being a lot more subtle this time around than something that literally will just turn you evil. It'll bring out your worst traits sure, but if Spider-man's experience was anything to go by, the people have to be convinced to do so making it a matter of the right push. I kind of like that.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Random stray thoughts about the game (Some Spoilered):

I think Insomniac has officially set the new standard for Spider-Man/Peter Parker. He's witty, smart, nice, awkward, compassionate, and always taking the weight of the world on his shoulders as he tries to keep helping and saving as many people as he can. He has a lot of cool tech, but it doesn't negate or overshadow his natural abilities. He's not treated like an absolute loser who everyone seems to have something against, just someone living a double life with all the personal and financial issues that that entails. He's competent and effective as a Superhero without needing to be some Avenger's sidekick and doesn't need to get saved by his supporting cast left-and-right, only occasionally needing help, while still handling most everything on his own. He feels like how Spectacular Peter would probably be like as an adult, and I think Yuri Lownethal has earned a spot as one of the top Spidey VA's with his performance in this game.

Mary Jane felt like Ultimate MJ grown-up, with the reporting job, similar relationship issues with Peter, more of a girl next door then a bombshell, and she hardly ever refers to Peter as Tiger (and her iconic line is completely absent). I thought the game did a good job of integrating her into the story and making her (re)developing relationship with Peter believable, meaningful, and one of the emotional cores of the game. Laura Bailey also did a good job of injecting a lot of heart and humanity into MJ here. And it's really just nice to see Mary Jane as a major character in a Spider-Man adaption again.

I guess I have to give Slott credit for Yuri Watannabe. Now adaptions have a police buddy for Spidey who can fulfill both Captain Stacy and Jean DeWolff's role with the added benefit of diversity (actually, I think Yuri and Philip Chang are the only Asian characters in this game who aren't villains or criminals). Although it's kind of funny to think she just started off in the comics as a detective, turned vigilante, turned criminal and she keeps getting bumped up to captain or police chief in adaptions.

I think this game had probably the best implementation of the concept of Mr. Negative, making him both a legitimate threat but also someone people can really feel for and understand, on-top of a more personal connection to Peter.

Harry's design and Scott Porter's performance reminded me a lot of Dane DeHaan's Harry from Amazing Spider-Man 2.

spoilers:
    Which I guess makes sense considering this version of Harry also has medical problems.
    end of spoilers

I thought Miles was much better integrated into Peter's world here then he has been in any other adaption, although he gave me a lot of Wally West vibes in this. I think they were a little on-the-nose at times with what people were already expecting of him, but I'm curious to see how they'll handle his character progression in future games and how that will work with Peter. Adaptions have always seemed to struggle making the pair work together in one setting, although Insomniac has gotten things off to a solid start here.

spoilers:
    I gotta say, I think this was the most refreshing and interesting take on Doc Ock I've seen in a while. They start him out as this Max Modell, Curt Conners-type science mentor for Peter, but slowly but surely unveil him as the Doctor Octopus we all know and loathe. They also make him sympathetic but don't make any excuses for the horrible things he does in the latter half of the game. Boy was it satisfying watching Peter wail on him at the end. And credit to William Salyers performance, he did a terrific job. Reminded me a lot of Peter MacNicol's performance from Spectacular, if not exactly as hammy.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I was not expecting Biker Gang Tombstone. It was cool to see him though.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I think this game officially has the craziest version of Screwball yet. Like, committing crimes and roughing up somebody for views is one thing, but I don't recall her ever threatening to blow stuff up before. Her mission reminded me a lot of Anarky's in Arkham Origins. I wonder if she'll be back in the next game considering they had the police point out how unlikely it was that the charges against her would stick?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Taskmaster reminded me of Azrael and Lady Shiva from the Arkham games, with following and testing the hero and then teasing a mysterious organization that wants that hero.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Interestingly enough the two main villains of the game are never referred to by their Supervillain names out loud.

Li is never once called Mr. Negative outside of subtitles, as far as I have seen, and the only time they even come close to calling Otto Doctor Octopus is during the final boss when one of the hints refer to him as "Doc Ock."

Conversely we do hear Otto say "Sinister Six" in one of the recordings left in the Six' lair.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I'm surprised we never got a Silver Sable boss fight, especially when we kept seeing her manhandle Spidey throughout the game. Maybe that's being saved for the "Silver Linings" DLC? Although she came around to Spidey by the end of the game.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I'm kind of surprised there was no follow-up to what happened to Li after Otto knocked him out. Maybe he'll pop back up in the "Turf Wars" DLC?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I wonder when Otto finally realized Peter was Spider-Man. Did he realize from the start and just played it off, or did he only put two-and-two together after his paranoia started to really exacerbate?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    One thing that will definitely set this Spider-Man apart from the others...he actually let Aunt May die for the greater good. No deal with the devil this time around. Kind of a shame though, I liked this version of May. She's also probably the best utilized Aunt May has been in an adaption in a while.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I wonder what Peter's next job will be? Maybe he'll go back to the Bugle...
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Given this whole game was basically the origin story for Doc Ock, I'm curious if each subsequent installment will feature one of Spidey's Big Three villains as the main antagonist. The teaser already has Harry attached to the Symbiote and you can see some potential prototype Goblin Gear in Norman's penthouse.
    end of spoilers
    Now that I finally beaten the story

spoilers:
    Li is actually referred to as Mr. Negative once in-game in Jonah's podcast. He's the one who comes up with it and demands his assistant to trademark it.

I find it disappointing that Li didn't stay the game's primary villain. It was a pretty damn good villain and remind me of Two-face without the duality gimmick. I can take he maintained his threat level in the final act and is still at large.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    With May dead I'm curious if Peter will take her position at FEAST. It seems to want to laid off the science for a while after dealing with Doc Ock.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I'm excited of the prospect of Peter mentoring Miles being a Spider-Man. Maybe in the next one will have the player switch between them or maybe even make it a co-op adventure.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Now that I finally beaten the story

spoilers:
    Li is actually referred to as Mr. Negative once in-game in Jonah's podcast. He's the one who comes up with it and demands his assistant to trademark it.

I find it disappointing that Li didn't stay the game's primary villain. It was a pretty damn good villain and remind me of Two-face without the duality gimmick. I can take he maintained his threat level in the final act and is still at large.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Ah! Nice. I really need to listen to all of Jonah's podcasts...

I knew Negative wasn't going to be the main villain with all the promotion they were giving him. It gave me Black Mask vibes from Arkham Origins, although he was much more of a major threat then Black Mask in Origins.

I didn't really mind the twist though, since they had an awesome take on Doc Ock.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    With May dead I'm curious if Peter will take her position at FEAST. It seems to want to laid off the science for a while after dealing with Doc Ock.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I could see him doing that.

Or maybe moving back to the Bugle to work with MJ?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm excited of the prospect of Peter mentoring Miles being a Spider-Man. Maybe in the next one will have the player switch between them or maybe even make it a co-op adventure.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm definitely curious to see how they'll shakeup gameplay now that Miles has powers.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm definitely curious to see how they'll shakeup gameplay now that Miles has powers.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    A very simple one could be Miles having more available ways to do stealth takedowns while being less adept at direct combat like Peter
    end of spoilers

Haven't played the game yet, and probably won't for some time. But is this criticism accurate?

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status...03488525832192
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Haven't played the game yet, and probably won't for some time. But is this criticism accurate?

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status...03488525832192
    The unfortunately titled Spider-Man is a glimpse of a potentially great city tourism game, rendered completely unplayable due to the main character being a far-fetched costumed maniac that can magically walk on walls, completely destroying any sense of immersion.
    Yes. Absolutely spot on.