Page 53 of 104 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The fact that he had to keep giving his name is Marvel saying "It's the other guy." The character is the most popular of Marvels new characters, and is the most popular member of the Spider-family not named Peter. Let him stand on his own two feet and get a name.
    Well, they probably want to distinguish this from the actual PS4 Spider-Man 2 that will focus on Peter, and it's straightforward enough with the character focus of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    No more than Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt. Or Sam Wilson, Captain America. Or Hal Jordan, Green Lantern.
    Hey look, false equivalence!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, they probably want to distinguish this from the actual PS4 Spider-Man 2 that will focus on Peter, and it's straightforward enough with the character focus of the game.
    Exactly, he is always going to be "The other guy" he needs his own identity. The suit and symbol are cool he just needs a new name.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Fact is it's been more than 10 years since Miles Morales has just been Spider-Man. It's unlikely for that to change.

The most successful instance of a hero changing names and breaking it out is Dick Grayson who went from Robin to Nightwing, and even then far more people even today know him as the most famous Robin, and few know him as Nightwing.

Spectacular Member

I agree that Miles needs an original name. He's a really cool character and it sucks that he's "the other Spider-Man". However, I'm not a bug fan of multiple derivative character's being active at the same time in general. Two Spider-Men? No thanks. Two Flashes? Also, no thanks. But maybe that's just me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Interesting. Do you guys think that there will be a Spider-Man 2 in addition to this game or will this be Spider-man 2, for all intents and purposes?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Ever stop and think that maybe it's just the old comic guard that is nitpicky about him sharing the name? We're now in a post-Into the Spider-Verse world where the character has crossover into the popular culture. The average person doesn't care that Miles shares the same moniker with Peter. At this point addressing that would only be to appease a minority of comic readers who act territorial about it.

By comparison, they finally gave Spider-Gwen an official "unique" moniker with Ghost-Spider, but who actually calls her that in conversation?
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    Interesting. Do you guys think that there will be a Spider-Man 2 in addition to this game or will this be Spider-man 2, for all intents and purposes?
    Considering I doubt this game is going to address the Osborns or the Symbiote...yes, I expect we will get a Spider-Man 2 in addition to this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Ever stop and think that maybe it's just the old comic guard that is nitpicky about him sharing the name? We're now in a post-Into the Spider-Verse world where the character has crossover into the popular culture. The average person doesn't care that Miles shares the same moniker with Peter. At this point addressing that would only be to appease a minority of comic readers who act territorial about it.

By comparison, they finally gave Spider-Gwen an official "unique" moniker with Ghost-Spider, but who actually calls her that in conversation?
    I think it's less an issue of Miles sharing the name and more just the issue with them sharing the same name within the same setting.

Like, how many times in the cartoons where he's with Peter have they actually called him Spider-Man compared to Peter? You're more likely to hear someone call him "Miles" in the field then you are to hear them actually call him Spider-Man. Even marketing sometimes just calls him "Miles," or like in Ultimate Alliance 3 where that was his designation instead of Spider-Man.

This should not be an issue within this game because Peter will probably not be in it for a good deal of the plot and Miles can actually be independent and solo. Which is probably why it's a better move to give Miles his own game instead of throwing his development as Spider-Man into Peter's story. Now it's closer to the comics where they're more independent of each other.

Speaking of Gwen, I wonder if she'll show up in this.

BANNED

I approve this message. It's not so different from people in real life knowing people with different names and telling them apart without asking them to change the name.

And I don't know, the most powerful part of Miles is that he is Spider-Man, not Spider-Robin, or Spider-Boy...he has the same title that Peter does.

There definitely will be a Spider-Man PS5 with hopefully a subtitle worked out by then.

Obviously Sony wants a system by which they put out as many Spider-Man games on the consoles as possible since the first game was their biggest sales success on the title and they have exclusivity.

Ultimate Member

Fact is it's been more than 10 years since Miles Morales has just been Spider-Man. It's unlikely for that to change.

The most successful instance of a hero changing names and breaking it out is Dick Grayson who went from Robin to Nightwing, and even then far more people even today know him as the most famous Robin, and few know him as Nightwing.
    Lets not forget a guy who have been Spide-Man too Migurl O'hara. No one is screaming for him to get a new name.

I approve this message. It's not so different from people in real life knowing people with different names and telling them apart without asking them to change the name.

And I don't know, the most powerful part of Miles is that he is Spider-Man, not Spider-Robin, or Spider-Boy...he has the same title that Peter does.
    And it's much more effective when he's not together with Peter, like they seem to be setting up in this game. Because aside from Into the Spider-Verse and this game they pretty much just treat him like Spider-Robin or Spider-Boy.

I mean, I'm sure some Miles fans still have nightmares about "Kid-Arachnid."
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Lets not forget a guy who have been Spide-Man too Migurl O'hara. No one is screaming for him to get a new name.
    Miguel is in the future...well, aside from that time when he wasn't but most people don't expect him to be in present-day 616.

Ever stop and think that maybe it's just the old comic guard that is nitpicky about him sharing the name? We're now in a post-Into the Spider-Verse world where the character has crossover into the popular culture. The average person doesn't care that Miles shares the same moniker with Peter.
    The people that run the media giants that own these characters are average in every way and believe me, they care. That is why Miles always has to put his name after Spider-Man.

At this point addressing that would only be to appease a minority of comic readers who act territorial about it.
    Or comic readers who aren't really into the separate but not quite equal stuff masquerading as progress who grew up with minority characters like Black Panther, Falcon, Storm, Luke Cage, Blade, Captain Marvel (I know what you are thinking but the other guy was dead) and other black characters who actually had their own names.

So if you are popular enough it doesn't matter what your name is? Cool, we can change Miles' name then.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyvolt2000
    You mean Spider-Man 2099? Who is the sole Spider-Man in his timeline because Peter is long gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack
    But not really, awe when I likened it to being seperate but not really equal earlier in this post.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-11-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    So if you are popular enough it doesn't matter what your name is? Cool, we can change Miles' name then.
    Again, what's the actual incentive for the media giants you're citing to actually want to change it outside of appeasing a couple of comicbook fans? If they made a movie where they called him Spider-Man, and now multiple video games as well, why would they suddenly have a change a heart?
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Again, what's the actual incentive for the media giants you're citing to actually want to change it outside of appeasing a couple of comicbook fans? If they made a movie where they called him Spider-Man, and now multiple video games as well, why would they suddenly have a change a heart?
    They don't need to change it. They have the best of both worlds they have guaranteed that Miles well always be the other one while taking the benefits of performative wokeness. I would like them to change it.

yup Miles gets his own universe spinoff while Peter's next game deal with Harry and Venom
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy