Page 61 of 104 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Insomniac released some extra details on the game:

Yeah, they totally moved Miles out of Brooklyn to Harlem so that they wouldn't have to Expand the map they built. lol

And they clarified for the record that it is going to be shorter than the first game, like Lost Legacy was compared to Uncharted 4. And finally:

So "energy company" and "high-tech criminal army."

Yeah I'm thinking I might have been on the money with this game adapting Roxxon arc from Miles' Ultimate Comics, with Techno Golem thrown into the mix.
    I guess I'll just set aside the obvious "of course the black Superhero has to operate out of Harlem" comments .

There's really only one villainous "energy corporation in the Marvel Universe, so that's pretty obviously Roxxon. "high-tech criminal army" also does sound like something that would be used to describe Tomoe's group and they're not going to use AIM because they're in The Avengers game. I'm just curious where Negative might fit in.

I guess the armored enemies are the Techno ninjas while the purple gauntlet folks are Roxxon? Or the other way around since that figure people are assuming might be Tomoe in the trailer had purple lighting.

And also confirmation that we're going to continue Peter's story, likely in a follow-up game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Say what you want about Naughty Dog (a company with a brutal reputation for crunch) but when they made Lost Legacy they created an entire new setting, recorded dialogue in regional languages of India, and built a new wide-linear open world style map for the early mid-section of the game. They did reuse some assets from Uncharted 4 (which in turn used assets from earlier games) but it was a new setting built from the ground-up.

I am getting a little annoyed by the tendency of companies to fence in a story with non-white protagonists to side games. Even Uncharted Lost Legacy had an Indian-Australian girl as a lead so it kind of patented this. Like Ubisoft's AC games series had two games with black Player Characters and both were given to a PSVita game and a DLC respectively. Always bridesmaids and never the bride. Miles Morales is a little different in that it's a PS5 launch title which is the highest level of prestige these...let's them call them "spin-off token showcases"...have gotten so far.

Hopefully this game is so successful that it becomes a sub-franchise and it gets a sequel that expands on it completely.
    I don't think the next Peter game will need to alternate between Spider-Protagonists what with the Symbiote and the storyline being more closely connected to Peter, so giving Miles his own series of games would do the job of keeping him in-focus and playable without needing to compromise with Peter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I'll just set aside the obvious "of course the black Superhero has to operate out of Harlem" comments .
    I was actually going to post that, but Harlem even today is still a part of Manhattan with a higher African-American population (63% of the entire neighborhood) than anywhere else, and it's also got cheaper rates in Manhattan than anywhere else. In fact in the first game, the Manhattan you see there didn't get Harlem right. Harlem is in North Manhattan and the game basically clips that area meaning we don't get to see historical landmarks like the Apollo Theatre, along with neighborhoods like Washington Heights, Sugar Hill and Hudson Heights, as well as the Audubon Ballroom (where Malcolm X got shot).

So the game map's version of Harlem will in fact comprise new territory and new locations that the main game didn't cover (and maybe give a sense of how the expanded New York of the next Peter Parker game might look like).

There's really only one villainous "energy corporation in the Marvel Universe, so that's pretty obviously Roxxon. "high-tech criminal army" also does sound like something that would be used to describe Tomoe's group and they're not going to use AIM because they're in The Avengers game. I'm just curious where Negative might fit in.
    The Prowler also steals tech from such big corporations.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I guess the armored enemies are the Techno ninjas while the purple gauntlet folks are Roxxon? Or the other way around since that figure people are assuming might be Tomoe in the trailer had purple lighting.
    If i had to hazard a guess, I could see Tomoe getting a retweaked origin here, kind of like Mr. Negative before her. Instead of being exposed to the Terrigen mist, have Tomoe be another runaway teen that Roxxon Corporation abducted and experimented on, just like Cloak & Dagger. It could even tie into the "Be Greater" tagline, because these character's arcs could be about not letting the tragedy they suffered define them (Bombshell, Cloak & Dagger) while Techno Golem succumbs to it and rages an all out war on the city to try and destroy Roxxon.

With Prowler I'd probably have him serve the role Taskmaster did in the storyline from the comic, only in the after credits it gets revealed that he was a Double Agent all along and was really working for Norman Osborn.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    If i had to hazard a guess, I could see Tomoe getting a retweaked origin here, kind of like Mr. Negative before her. Instead of being exposed to the Terrigen mist, have Tomoe be another runaway teen that Roxxon Corporation abducted and experimented on, just like Cloak & Dagger. It could even tie into the "Be Greater" tagline, because these character's arcs could be about not letting the tragedy they suffered define them (Bombshell, Cloak & Dagger) while Techno Golem succumbs to it and rages an all out war on the city to try and destroy Roxxon.

With Prowler I'd probably have him serve the role Taskmaster did in the storyline from the comic, only in the after credits it gets revealed that he was a Double Agent all along and was really working for Norman Osborn.
    It would be kind of interesting, and kind of a nice tribute to Ultimate Spider-Man, if they tried to make Roxxon Miles' OsCorp equivalent where all the trouble in his life can be attributed to them.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

I wonder if there gonna add any reference to Fantastic Four or X-Men, Given Marvel's embargo on them has been lifted off. In PS4, they eventually added the Bombastic Bag-man and Future Foundation costumes via Patch. I'm actually kind of hope that they'll add Baxter Building.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    I wonder if there gonna add any reference to Fantastic Four or X-Men, Given Marvel's embargo on them has been lifted off. In PS4, they eventually added the Bombastic Bag-man and Future Foundation costumes via Patch. I'm actually kind of hope that they'll add Baxter Building.
    The Fantastic Four rights were movies only, and never extended to games to start with. That said, I am sure that the success of the MCU led to them putting the FF on the backburner for the time being.

It's like the animation rights. Marvel has always had practically every other right for the Fox brands, they just chose not to use them.

Why is it that every time someone brings up Miles and Peter there's always some opposition to them co-existing? They can both be Spider-Man, and they can both exist in the same universe at the same time. I don't get this notion that it's ruining either of them: Miles has thrived in the 616 universe and is being written better than he's ever been with Ahmed and is about to have his own game where he, once again, co-exists with the older adult Peter.

Basically, anytime this narrative that they can't co-exist is brought up, it makes me cringe, particularly in the face of history with minorities in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Why is it that every time someone brings up Miles and Peter there's always some opposition to them co-existing? They can both be Spider-Man, and they can both exist in the same universe at the same time. I don't get this notion that it's ruining either of them: Miles has thrived in the 616 universe and is being written better than he's ever been with Ahmed and is about to have his own game where he, once again, co-exists with the older adult Peter.

Basically, anytime this narrative that they can't co-exist is brought up, it makes me cringe, particularly in the face of history with minorities in this country.
    which is weird cause the ps4 game had the best showcase of miles and peter teaming up. Plus there are a lot of comic characters sharing names now its nothing special
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    which is weird cause the ps4 game had the best showcase of miles and peter teaming up. Plus there are a lot of comic characters sharing names now its nothing special
    Exactly. You don't hear this about Barry Allen and Wally West, both of whom are the Flash. Should he get his own name?

Or about Hawkeyes Clint Barton and Kate Bishop? Should she get her own name?

Or when both Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson used to co-exist as Batman? Should he have gotten his own name?

Did they have to be separate to be equal?

That entire argument is pathetic and borderline racist.

I've never said they can't co-exist, just that the best way for them to co-exist is independent of each other rather then something like in the Marvel's Spider-Man or Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon where they're joined more at the hip (except for when the writers forget Miles exists).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I don't know if I'd call it a team-up. It was more like they introduced Miles as a supporting character like MJ and then had his origin happen, which this story is springing from.
    Exactly. You don't hear this about Barry Allen and Wally West, both of whom are the Flash. Should he get his own name?
    This has actually come up a lot on the DC boards.
    Or about Hawkeyes Clint Barton and Kate Bishop? Should she get her own name?
    To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the Clint and Kate dynamic anymore. It seems like Kate gets more out of it, and using the Hawkeye name, then Clint does from being paired with Kate.
    Or when both Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson used to co-exist as Batman? Should he have gotten his own name?
    They did still make Dick Nightwing again not long after Bruce came back though.

Astonishing Member

IMO, it's due to several reasons:

1. Racism and paranoia of minorities "taking over" (which goes back decades). I'm not saying everyone who takes issues with Miles and Peter co-existing is racist, but I've seen people try to argue that race wasn't a factor in the Miles backlash. That is a naive thing to say.

2. The fact Ultimate Peter was killed off to make way for Miles. Arguably this shows that Marvel didn't think they could co-exist back when Miles was first introduced. I think this added fuel to whatever paranoia already existed about Miles. (I also think it isn't a coincidence we hear this argument less ever since Miles was brought in 616.)

3. Compared to Peter, Miles doesn't have much of an established core. His basic personality and backstory vary from writer to writer. When Marvel still doesn't fully know what to do with him, it leaves the question of whether or not he can co-exist with Peter partially open-ended. By contrast, other legacy characters like Kamala Khan don't have this issue. She has an established basic personality and backstory, and is more similar to Peter in the way she was conceived than Miles is.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 06-20-2020 at 09:05 AM.

I mean, this game is basically handling it like the comics by giving Miles his own title and story as Spider-Man instead of sticking him with Peter. That shows more sense and is more fair then the Spider-Man cartoons where he gets stuck with Peter and can't even use his own bloody codename.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    IMO, it's due to several reasons:

1. Racism and paranoia of minorities "taking over" (which goes back decades). I'm not saying everyone who takes issues with Miles and Peter co-existing is racist, but I've seen people try to argue that race wasn't a factor in the Miles backlash. That is a naive thing to say.

2. The fact Ultimate Peter was killed off to make way for Miles. Arguably this shows that Marvel didn't think they could co-exist back when Miles was first introduced. I think this added fuel to whatever paranoia already existed about Miles. (I also think it isn't a coincidence we hear this argument less ever since Miles was brought in 616.)

3. Compared to Peter, Miles doesn't have much of an established core. His basic personality and backstory vary from writer to writer. When Marvel still doesn't fully know what to do with him, it leaves the question of whether or not he can co-exist with Peter partially open-ended. By contrast, other legacy characters like Kamala Khan don't have this issue. She has an established basic personality and backstory, and is more similar to Peter in the way she was conceived than Miles is.
    You make a lot of good points, several of which I agree with.