Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel 2-in-One #5 SPOILERS

It starts out with Ben confronting Alt-Reed over giving up when the world needs him the most leading to Reed angrily blowing up (literally) and yelling that he doesn't understand before tearfully breaking down saying how hopeless things are. Then Head of SHIELD Sue appears, she came came after being told about Ben and Johnny. She agrees with Ben about Reed giving up and when Ben asks about this universe Johnny the page ends with Sue looking sad and asking Reed "didn't you tell him?".

Next we see is Johnny contacting Rachna about them being in wrong place and we see her standing over a version of Dee (who we saw last issue), who is also in a hospital bed and doesn't have the lower half of her body. Rachna with a sad look agrees that there is nothing here for them. Sue warns that Doomlactus has devoured the last of the surviving colonies and is heading to earth and after a nice scene between her and Johnny she gets a message that it's starting.

We see the heralds of Doom, who are made in his image, attacking civilians and heroes (the heroes all having SHIELD insignia's because every hero is under SHIELD). Ben, Johnny, and Sue instantly leap into the fray shocking the other heroes of the Fantastic Fours return. During this Reed is taken by a herald and told that Doomlactus has sensed holes in the skin between universes, accusing Reed that he was trying to escape. Johhny saves Reed from the herald but expends his powers doing leading Reed having to parachute him down.

Once back on the ground Reed has found his confidence and decides to find a solution to Doomlactus. At that moment our Doom appears to offer his assistance as he's an expert on the subject. Rachna explains that Doom "tailgated" them to this universe. After Ben and Johnny vouch for him Reed agrees to work with him to beat Doomlactus. Reed asks Ben and Johnny to do some recruiting as they are the only ones who can because of their "familiar faces".

We then cut to a man on a farm and his dog alerts him to Ben and Johnny's presence. It turns out the man is Norrin Radd aka the Silver Surfer! The duo then get a unfriendly welcome from Emma Frost (who seems to be living with SS) as she thinks that two of them are impostors. After they tell her to read their minds she confirms they are telling the truth and she tells Norrin that the Silver Surfer is needed on more time. The issue ends with the ominous shadow of Doomlactus hovering over the people of New York.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I really enjoyed this issue and seeing Sue again (even though she is not original Sue). Her scar is kind of cool and I loved that force-field power armor that kinda looks like it's shaped like a Gundam (which makes it even better!).

The moment between Ben and Reed was touching and I'm interested to see what happened to that universes Johnny.

This series has maintained it's quality and it's a really great book, I'm happy that it will continue even after the FF return.

My favourite page this issue:

Last edited by Crimz; 04-04-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Thanks a lot Crimz!

I won't get my issue till tomorrow at best so it was a really cool reading - and I know I still have plenty to enjoy reading the book.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Like the rest of them, this issue was pretty good, specialy the confrontation between Reed and Ben. I didn't like how Johnny was so dismissive of helping out this universe though... I also said "What the fuck" out loud when I saw Emma and Norrin living together lol.

It's also odd that Reed and Sue aren't losing their powers since Ben of that world is dead, but maybe if there are 3 of them, then they won't lose powers, assuming there are 3, because I'm guessing Johnny from that world is the sun.

Incredible Member

There's something really quite funny to me about this panel, with Reed apologising to Sue for taking charge, and Sue...not at all minding it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Like the rest of them, this issue was pretty good, specialy the confrontation between Reed and Ben. I didn't like how Johnny was so dismissive of helping out this universe though... I also said "What the fuck" out loud when I saw Emma and Norrin living together lol.

It's also odd that Reed and Sue aren't losing their powers since Ben of that world is dead, but maybe if there are 3 of them, then they won't lose powers, assuming there are 3, because I'm guessing Johnny from that world is the sun.
    Maybe different universe different rules is my guess

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    Maybe different universe different rules is my guess
    Yeah, I considered that too, I was just assuming that this universe was the same until Galactus showed up, same type of origin and all, but then again, Rachna specificaly said "Our Fantastic Four", so it's very probably the different rules are in play.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

Another fantastic issue, I kinda want to see the rest of Marvel heroes SHIELD uniforms, the invisible armor was sweet, loved this showcase of emotions of love and lost between all the characters while still exploring this universe. Only thing I would have changed would be putting that universe's Shulkie in the background battle panel but that's a personal obsession rather than actual criticism.

BANNED

This is a series where, so far, every issue has felt like the best issue yet. D'Zarsky really knows how to hit all the right funny and emotional beats.

So cool to see Reed - even if it's not the real Reed - in action again. My favorite bit this issue was when he used himself as a parachute to save Johnny. My heart swelled when I saw that panel and I realized just how much I've missed that kind of classic Mr. Fantastic move.

It's gonna be so great when both this AND the FF are back on the stands together.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I also want to see MTIO continue as an ongoing when the relaunched Fantastic Four starts in August. I'm keeping my fingers crossed when the August solicitations come out. I'd like to add that I really like Valerio Schiti on this title if we can't have Jim Chueng every month. He really comes up with some interesting ways to show Reed's powers and how malleable even when just being gripped tightly by a Doom Herald. It was great to see Sue is a SHIELD agent in this reality too. I hope that is something they bring back to the regular title also. I also want to know if we will find out how she got scarred and what happened to her Johnny. I like how she didn't freak out when Johnny wanted to give a hug to his "sister from another mister".

The only thing that didn't quite work for me is the pairing of Norrin Radd and Emma Frost. But since this is another universe, maybe this Emma is not manipulating and bitchy. She's never been one of my favorite characters. I always like alternate universe stories, which is why I liked the original run of Exiles. It seemed to visit a lot of Earth's versions of Fantastic Four characters for a while. I hope the relaunch of that title is worth looking into.

I can't wait until next month to see what Infamous Iron Man/ Doom thinks about Galactus Doom. As was discussed in another thread, Zdarsky does a better job in this title with Infamous Iron Man than what Bendis has been doing lately. He still has a bit of the arrogance and impatience dealing with others.

Just like to add that I like this version of bearded Reed too.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-05-2018 at 03:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I also want to see MTIO continue as an ongoing when the relaunched Fantastic Four starts in August. I'm keeping my fingers crossed when the August solicitations come out.
    You don't have to keep your fingers crossed, it's already been confirmed that it's continuing.

Who knows just how long it'll go but it's definitely not ending when the new FF comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This is a series where, so far, every issue has felt like the best issue yet. D'Zarsky really knows how to hit all the right funny and emotional beats.

So cool to see Reed - even if it's not the real Reed - in action again. My favorite bit this issue was when he used himself as a parachute to save Johnny. My heart swelled when I saw that panel and I realized just how much I've missed that kind of classic Mr. Fantastic move.

It's gonna be so great when both this AND the FF are back on the stands together.
    Agree with all of this! Each issue really does get better & better.

I am reading Lee & Kirby's run right now and it is fun seeing some version of Reed still manipulating his body into crazy shapes!

BANNED

this issue reminds me of the scene from FF vs X men in which Ben unleashed himself on Reed and actually managed to hurt his resilient body so that he was pasty faced for better part of the issue. if you think further about it there are other similarities between the series like issues with powers are being highlighted, there may be some undetectable manipulation doom may have pulled off to make Reed doubt himself and lose faith in himself not to mention any possible manipulation of infamous doom but at the same time doom is also being shown in positive light. All that are missing are the children but it's highly unlikely although not impossible they may make a appearance.

I love how giddy Wolverine is to stab people in this universe.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    I love how giddy Wolverine is to stab people in this universe.
    It seems to be a theme of the last couple of months with various depictions of Wolverine. Stab early repent at leisure.

Really liked this issue, but that alternative F4 are dark! I also liked Victor, and the old wry take from Ben. I am actually really impressed with Zdarski and Schiti who have both surprised me with their abilities. Zdarski has really relaxed into this book and improved month on month. Schiti was recently working on Mighty Thor and he won me over on that book from initial scepticism but this is a step up again. I really like his shaggy Reed and his take on his powers.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-05-2018 at 08:42 AM.